Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tartanmeup

Favourite decorating blogs?

tartanmeup
4 years ago

This might have been asked not that long ago, my apologies. I did a search for decorating blogs but can't sort the results by date and the replies were few on the posts I saw.

What are your favourite decorating blogs or sites? Any style is welcome. I'm particularly interested in words to go along with the pictures. A strong viewpoint or narrative shared. Something I can read while having my coffee, not just a series of pretty pictures.

Comments (31)

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I subscribe to the House and Home Channel and Living Big in a Tiny House on YouTube. The only blogs I follow are Apartment Therapy, Between Naps on the Porch and Home is Where the Boat Is. I don't think any of them are exactly what you are after, but you might enjoy them anyway.

tartanmeup thanked Fun2BHere
  • cran
    4 years ago

I like The Glam Pad, mostly traditional homes but gives a lot history and information about the owners.

tartanmeup thanked cran
  • Sueb20
    4 years ago

I used to follow a lot of blogs, but they all started to look the same to me. These days, on my ipad I've got this site (of course!) bookmarked, as well as Apt. Therapy, Laurel Bern's blog, and Making It Lovely.

tartanmeup thanked Sueb20
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

This is the only decorating one I follow anymore. These days, I'm following a number of healthy cooking blogs instead . . . but I always check in here every morning.

tartanmeup thanked LynnNM
  • tartanmeup
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks the suggestions, folks. I'm preparing my new reading list. LynnNM, care to share any of those healthy cooking blogs? I could use a refresher. :)

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Most people probably use Instagram now!

tartanmeup thanked gsciencechick
  • tartanmeup
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Really enjoyed that video, chijim. Thanks for reminding me of Robeson Design. I'm not in love with her aesthetic but I love how she explains the reasons behind her choices. I also really like the mirrored wall in the bedroom.

Probably right, gsciencechick. I've no plans to join.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Like you, I really enjoy the writing as much as the pretty pictures. My long-time favorite is http://thepeakofchic.blogspot.com/.

She doesn’t post as much these days, but there’s plenty to read for newcomers to her page. I love the vintage styles and history she shares.

A couple more I like:

http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/

https://fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com/

tartanmeup thanked Jilly
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

Tartanmeup: I follow a few Keto blogs, but I absolutely do not follow the total Keto way of thinking, which DH and I feel is too unhealthy. Way too much fat, via cheeses, real butter, coconut oil, fatty meats, etc. for our comfort. But, I do find some good wheat-free, potato-free, white rice-free recipes that I convert to our kind of healthful. In other words Low-Carb. Meaning, using Smart Balance, olive or avocado oil in place of butter or coconut oil. Fat-free condensed milk or fat-free half-and-half for cream. Things like that. I also avoid any with an over-abundance of cheese. I could go on and on about what I consider heathy eating so don’t get me started (LOL)! Anyhoo, here are a few interesting blogs/sites that I check out daily or weekly:

- HealthyRecipesBlog.com

- WendyPolisi.com

- MyMontanaKitchen.com

- Delish.com

tartanmeup thanked LynnNM
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

I'll second Glam Pad, Cote de Texas, and Laurel Bern.

I also like Quintessence, McGrath II (their blog takes some digging to find on their website), Ben Pentreath's blog which isn't always on interior design, Lauren Liess's blog (even though she doesn't post often, plus lately I'm finding her style too beige for me), Home Glow Design.

There are some blogs I like that no longer post, but they have a bunch of older posts to go through, including Peak of Chic, Things That Inspire, Master Class.

There are lots of lovely accounts to follow on Instagram, which I do mostly on my laptop. You don't have to post to your own account to read others'.

tartanmeup thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Yes! Seconding Jinx's other two, too : ) . The older posts from For the Love a House are lovely, and Niagara Novice is a protege of Joni's (Cote de Texas); he does some similar before and after deep dives with some designers and their projects, and has changed up his own home several times.

• llitm
    4 years ago

Probably my favorite blog is Jenna Sue Design. I think everything she touches is spot on. Inspire to Desire can be fun eye candy.

tartanmeup thanked llitm
  • LucyStar1
    4 years ago

Kelli Wilniss has a blog called My Soulful Home.

http://mysoulfulhome.com/

She also has a youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrMrpSINwfGMzLQLWzo1N1g

tartanmeup thanked LucyStar1
  • roarah
    4 years ago

I peak at this one every few weeks. https://blueandwhitehome.blog/tag/blog/

tartanmeup thanked roarah
  • User
    4 years ago

for the love of a house

vignettedesign

daffodil hill (only has Instagram now)

laurel bern!

Kelly in the city -love her style. She makes both my lists.

Maria killam

Southern hospitality

savvysouthernstyle

dear Lillie

goldenboys and me

jenna sue

beneath my heart (got caught up more in the stories of the last two.)

non decorating

Kelly in the city -love her style

andee layne - just find her life fascinatingly different from mine. Liked a few of her outfits in the past.

the mom edit

style at a certain age -she’s awesome

all things g and d

maskcara though she doesn’t post much anymore

tartanmeup thanked User
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

Victoria Elizabeth Barnes

https://victoriaelizabethbarnes.com/

tartanmeup thanked Olychick
  • tartanmeup
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for reminding me of Victoria Elizabeth Barnes, Olychick. I remember reading her post about "the" mirror and laughing to tears.

What a generous list, Sheisback! Thank you so much. Going to have a look at "Non decorating" right now - too intriguing a title. ETA: Could you share the link for that one, @Sheisback GW? Google is not helping me.

• elunia
    4 years ago

I guess I interpreted “non decorating“ a little differently—I thought it referenced the subsequent blogs which weren't strictly about design (lifestyle, beauty, etc.), but might be appealing. I would love to read a design blog titled “non decorating” — I hope it’s out there!

ETA: UK website - Mad about the House

tartanmeup thanked elunia
  • aprilneverends
    4 years ago

Laurel Bern is the (almost) only one I currently follow

(I do peek -Justina Blackeney's "Jungalow", Abigail Ahern (these two are less of writers, but gorgeous pictures), Maria Killiam..with Maria Killiam it's often fun to see how she "accepts" something after she traveled somewhere and saw it used where it originated.)

I also loved Lauren Liess's one and read all her archives during one weekend. I'm not sure she's even writing there anymore, but following somebody's talent growing and coming into full bloom was very ..I don't even know what to compare it to. Nobody read her blog for first several years (as nobody read at first Laurel Bern, whose archives I also swallowed shortly after I stumbled upon her blog). She explains there her thoughts and her process, and is often talking to herself, discussing things. It was a delight to read. I also love words..))

I read Victoria Elizabeth Barnes couple times, and found her very entertaining but I found her too late and her blog is very personal so to say-so I had this feeling I'm a bit late to the party.

I used to read AT several years ago but it changed so much..became too generic imo.

tartanmeup thanked aprilneverends
  • User
    4 years ago

Oh, I’m sorry. Sadly that’s not a blog name. I was talking about the list I wrote below are ones I don’t look at them or think of them for decorating purposes.

tartanmeup thanked User
  • tinam61
    4 years ago

I love decorating blogs and instagram. To me they are like magazines. I rarely buy actual magazines anymore. Many magazines have instagram feeds. I'm headed out in a few but I'll be back and add some of my favorite blogs/instagram accounts. I do follow several of the ones Shee listed.

tartanmeup thanked tinam61
  • B Augustine
    4 years ago

A Stroll through Life blogspot

tartanmeup thanked B Augustine
    4 years ago

I had a shelter magazine habit for decades, starting in university, subscribing to a number of magazine including British Homes & Gardens, and the defunct and much missed House & Garden; in hindsight, I wish I had saved more in order to subscribe to World of Interiors. My habit pretty much died when I moved to Canada and the forwarding order expired, and the shelter magazines started getting killed off.

Thank goodness for blogs when they started, and then Instagram. I do like a physical magazine though, and when I can find them (usually at Walmart of all places) I'll buy issues of British Homes & Gardens and Milieu. Sometimes Veranda. I get the Canadian magazines Style at Home and Canadian House & Home at the library every month, but more as a list of resources available in Canada than style inspiration.

The lovely thing about blogs is the human, personal touch. But those same humans have lives that change, which usually affects the blogs, sigh. april, I agree with you about Lauren Liess, and her earliest blog posts (I think about three incarnations back) were amazing, especially for her own apartments/houses.

• tartanmeup
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User - thank you for explaining the non decorating mention. Duh. Here I was giddy at the prospect someone was writing about creating a home without decorating it. Lol!

Thank you all for taking the time to add to my collection of browser tabs. ;-) I'm hoping to curate my reading list and make this Internet habit of mine a little more mindful.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I love the Quintessence videos. Here is the latest one.

The video didn't post for some reason. Here is a link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=JY_2xGuVob0

tartanmeup thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • salonva
    4 years ago

i don't "follow" any of them regularly but the Laurel Bern and Maria Killam ones are comfortable and familiar and I do like them.

tartanmeup thanked salonva
  • artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I come here, that's usually it.

When I was building, I picked up a few magazines, such as Southern Living, and there was one whose name I don't recall that was about rustic country homes. Also Kitchen and Bath. I subscribed to none of these, just grabbed one if it looked good. I did subscribe for a couple years to Backwoods Country Homes.

Occasionally, I watch YouTube videos along the lines ofLiving Big in a Tiny House, and Kirsten Dirksen - mostly for the uniqueness of the homes, and wondering how people exactly get around most of them when they suddenly have to go on crutches...

I don't follow any home decorating blogs. I've checked a few linked to from here - McMansion Hell was most interesting of that lot! But not something I need to see frequently. Laurel Bern doesn't cut it for me - too many things are "dated" and too many good pieces of wood are... painted. Usually white. I don't want to be lectured while reading a blog. I do like to find out what they do, and what works for them.

Anyhow, I checked out a few linked here yesterday, and found some of them very interesting, enough that I'll subscribe. Haven't finished looking yet (I was on the phone then, so just went to things with links), but those that seem to be mostly ads (as opposed to simply having advertising) will probably not make the cut.

So far I've checked and liked:

Quintessence - videos. Like the Living Big... and the Kirsten Dirksen videos, this showcases various indivdual homes - although less quirky (apparently) than the other two sources. Have only watched a couple.

Victoria Elizabeth Barnes - she's funny! She's working on her own house, and not stressed about definng "dated".

Cote de Texas. Although the site seems hard to navigate.

For the Love of a House.

As far as Instagram goes, I try to avoid it. It's mostly a collection of unorganized photos, and I'm happy using Pinterest for that (because one can organize it) - mostly to curate recipes I'd like to cook, or have cooked.

tartanmeup thanked artemis_ma
  • aprilneverends
    4 years ago

ah yes..forgot McMansion Hell..)) Check her sometimes too.

I do buy "real" magazines from time to time (was subscribed to couple but subscription long gone). To me internet reading doesn't work as well. Diffferent feel..

I like "House Beatiful" and whatever I can get that was printed in other countries

I usually indulge myself in that rarely-a) before a flight b) when I'm in Barnes and Nobles.)))

tartanmeup thanked aprilneverends
  • salonva
    4 years ago

thanks to the second one ( at least) mentioning McMansion Hell I had to look and say thank you!

tartanmeup thanked salonva
  • tartanmeup
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All these sites!! I'm giddy. You're all so wonderful to take time to share. I'm bookmarking A LOT. Thank you. I agree with those who said magazines and Internet have a different feel. This is why I'm still buying magazines and (second hand, mostly) books. I'm trying to curb the tendency because honestly, it adds up quickly and wouldn't I rather use the money to beautify the house? :P I really like the idea of following along when someone is renovating or decorating their house. Understanding the process, seeing their befores and afters. So few times in the forum do we see how ideas shared worked for the homeowners - there's often no satiety.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals