Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fillmytable

Toilet not centered on other side of half-wall

Mara S.
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi. I'm doing a few DIY updates to my master bath and would appreciate suggestions on what style of toilet to buy. The existing toilet is positioned behind a half-wall (shower on the opposite side--to the right). Problem is the toilet is not centered in the space, so I'm hoping to find a toilet style that would minimize the problem. Wall-to-wall space is 31" wide. Dimensions of current toilet (measuring the top cover) is approx 20.5". There's about 3" clearance on the left and 8" on the right. At the base (floor) there's 7" clearance on the left and 13" on the right. I had planned on getting a white toilet, but since I haven't decided on paint color yet, I'm open. Anything to resolve this! Thanks!

Comments (30)

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Will you be moving the toilet?

Mara S. thanked apple_pie_order
  • acm
    4 years ago

yeah, I mean you're going to have to install the new toilet over the same waste line (which was presumably constrainted by a joist position or somesuch). not likely to end up more centered. I guess you could go for a very vertical style of toilet, so the tank is narrower and has a bit better clearance on the left...

WOODBRIDGEE One Piece Toilet with Soft Closing Seat, Chair Height, 1.28 GPF Dual · More Info

Monaco One-Piece Elongated Toilet Dual Flush 0.8/1.28 GPF · More Info

Mara S. thanked acm
  • User
    4 years ago

No new toilet will be centered either unless you move the pipe. It’s currently not code compliant, so moving it to make it so might be worth it. Or might not. The only way to know is to talk to your plumber.

Mara S. thanked User
  • misa
    4 years ago

If the cost is not too much, move the pipe and toilet to make it meet code, at the same time you will be able to center it.

This off center placement would bother me to no end, we moved our toilet about 5 feet and a facing a different direction. The original toilet was so off center to the entire bathroom wall, off center to the 1 window on wall and faced the bathroom entrance- first thing you saw!

It cost us alot - but so worth it!

Good luck!

Mara S. thanked misa
  • Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for reaching out. Here are my replies:

Apple-pie order, as annoying as it is to look at, I had not planned on moving it because I figured it would be expensive. This is my first update, and I am starting with a few simple changes. Haven't made any decisions about the flooring yet, so there's time to think about it.

Patricia, the toilet paper holder is an interesting idea!

Acm, thanks for the style recommendations! Now I won't be so overwhelmed when I go to the store.

Andi, this is the first time hearing about code compliance (oh boy!) Thanks for mentioning it. Will definitely inquire.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 years ago

Yeah if the current toilet is 20.5" and there appear to be maybe 2" of clearance tot he wall than you would need to move it to the right at least 3" in order for an inspector to sign off.

It was probably pushed to the side so that a trash can and toilet paper holder could sit before the pony wall.

Mara S. thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • greg_2015
    4 years ago

I'm pretty sure the code requires minimum 15" from the center of the toilet to the wall.

So in a 31" space, it basically needs to be dead center (with 1/2 inch of wiggle room).

Mara S. thanked greg_2015
  • Helen
    4 years ago

Out of curiosity, how expensive is it to move the plumbing for a toilet. I had always thought that between the drain and the vent it would be prohibitively expensive.

Mara S. thanked Helen
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 years ago

Depends on the plumbing ease of access ect. If you need to move it 3" in the direction it already flows it won't cost much (300-750) . If you need to move it further away from the drain expect to pay a pretty penny ($3-5K).

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

Weird situation. This is the best, easiest fix -- alternately, a very narrow table or storage cabinet:

IMo I would just put a tall toilet paper holder on the wide side and be done.

Mara S. thanked Mrs Pete
  • Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Misa. ( I know how you felt).

• Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It will be interesting to get a quote. As a temporary fix, though, I agree the paper holder seems like a good idea. Thanks to everyone. Comments were helpful, and insightful!

• User
    4 years ago

The answer might be an “offset flange”. It’s not a wonderful solution, as it slightly impedes the waste flow, but we have one toilet with one that has never had an issue. Some plumbers swear by them and other swear at them, your mi may vary, but it’s worth the look.

Mara S. thanked User
  • blubird
    4 years ago

To my knowledge, an offset flange only helps to move the toilet forward or backward, not side to side.

Mara S. thanked blubird
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Did you recently purchase the house? Did you have a home inspection? If it is not to code and an inspection failed to note the issue you can get the inspection company to foot the bill. Also, if the previous owners did a remodel and enlarged the shower and did not have the work permitted or inspected and did not disclose that they remodeled the bathroom you could go back to the previous owners to pay to have this corrected.

Mara S. thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 years ago

@jennifer The inspection company will never foot this bill. As far as they know that is the original placement of the waste connection and nothing was done to modify it. It only has to be to code if it was installed after the code was put in place.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Don't open a can of worms if you don't have to. Buy a TP holder and be done with it.

Mara S. thanked decoenthusiaste
  • User
    4 years ago

Blubird, an offset flange can move the toilet about 4” in any direction or a little less in a combination of directions.

Mara S. thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

The code used to be 24” on center, not 30”. If the home is old enough, it’s grandfathered into that placement.

That extra 3” on each side does make a BIG difference in comfort though. This may be TMI, but when visiting an old home with a 24” center toilet against a wall, I have to sit sideways. If there’s room. I’m not small, but I’m far from the biggest behind in the room at most gatherings! I’m just broad shouldered and broad hipped. And yes, fat on top of that. This is why the NKBA recommends a 36” space. It may go to 42” before long, if the buffet tables continue to sap our wills.

Mara S. thanked User
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Sativa McGee Designs

I am talking about a home inspection, not code enforcement.

Code enforcement will not make you change something that is not to code if it was grandfathered in. Home inspectors are not code enforcement - you are paying them to tell you what is wrong with the house so that you are making an informed decision when you purchase the home. It doesn't take a seasoned pro to know that this does not meet current code or current building standards.

Here is a link to a home inspectors forum that addresses if an inspector should or should not write up an issue where a toilet is 13" from center instead of 15". With little exception, the inspectors agreed that you have to write this up.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/plumbing-system-home-inspection-and-commercial-inspection/6794-toilet-clearance.html

Here are two of the comments that you may find interesting

"If it were a new house without a COA issued I'd mention it. If it were an older house with a newer toilet or vanity I'd write something to the affect, "Remodeling has taken place in the home which does not appear to meet current standards. I suggest verifying the remodeling and permit history with the sellers and / or local code jurisdiction." I do it that way because I'm not a code enforcement official, I'm a home inspector. If the local authority wants to allow it they can."

"When it comes to proper disclosure, if it's not curernt minuium building requirements, or an inspectors SOP, who determines what is the smallest infraction, oppsed to reckless and flagrant items? If you do some research, you may find the rookies go by the wayside, due to lawsuits, or no referrals for failing to properly disclose. If they remain they soon learn to get experienced and disclose everything the most experienced inspectors do, or pay to correct a defect for not disclosing it."

• Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jennifer, we bought the house in the early-90s; new build. I hope it's grandfathered in.

But I am a bit confused. If we were to sell the house, is the existing toliet grandfathered or is it the location of the pipes? Or both? I guess if I were to swap out a toilet because the old one was no longer functional, it's hard to think of it as remodeling.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

If you bought it prior to code updates and have not changed the location, just changed the fixture (toilet) you are fine. An inspector will or should make buyers aware of things that are not up to current code, but it is just that - a notification that what is there is not up to current code.

The inspection on the house that I purchased that was built in 1970 had a few pages of issues - I didn't ask the sellers to fix anything, it was either a non-issue or something that I would be fixing as I did renovations.

• Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    4 years ago

If we were to sell the house, is the existing toliet grandfathered or is it the location of the pipes?

Your grandfathered, spend no more time worrying about it.

As others have suggested, the current placement is likely due to the location of a floor joist or other obstacle. Somebody probably screwed up at the design stage and once the problem was discovered it was too late for an economical fix. The inspector at the time didn’t notice, waived the requirement, or just kept on walking.

Relocating the drain line is likely to be an expensive proposition, doable but expensive. Unless you have some compelling reason to relocate the drain line like a physical disability that makes using the toilet difficult, I might suspect you have other ways to spend your money.

Mara S. thanked mike_kaiser_gw
  • Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes I do! Thanks for your comments.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

You could go with the free standing toilet paper holder on the floor beside the toilet and/or consider this modern corner shelving:

http://kdrtech.me/image/

then you could center art above the toilet or perhaps even a faux window if there isn't one in the room.

Mara S. thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Unless you want to raise the floor -- putting the toilet on a raised platform to hide added plumbing pipes, changing the location likely wouldn't be the best use of your budget dollars, especially since you don't really want more curves in sewer pipe than necessary.

If you're replacing the toilet, do choose one of the mid height ones rather than the older short ones. Your knees will appreciate it as you get older.

Also, get an elongated bowl -- narrower rather than wider -- make it one that would, in your opinion, be easier to reach all parts of it and without any unnecessarily ornate grooves or curves -- therefore, easier to clean.

Mara S. thanked suezbell
  • Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, we're looking at chair height. Thanks!

• Mara S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions, Suzebell!