Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgerry

Thoughts about backsplash.

mgerry
4 years ago

My kitchen remodel is in process and I'd like to hear thoughts about the back-splash for these two areas. One side will be a coffee bar the other a drink bar (wine etc). I've already decided to have one open shelf above each counter. They will be natural edge black walnut that I have from my childhood farm in IN. I have white subway tile back-splash in the other areas of the kitchen and am currently thinking I'll do both the back and side wall from the counter to the drop ceiling. What I'm beginning to think about is do I do more subway tile, or would it be good (or bad) to do something different? And if good, what?

Comments (18)

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Can you post the rest of your kitchen, so we see the entire picture?

Do you have any plans for between the cabinets/below the windows?

mgerry thanked Allison0704
  • mgerry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not excited to show the rest as the back-splash isn't grouted yet, stove not in etc. Will be putting something for seating between the cabinets. At first I thought a bench but It might be too low. Maybe a chair and side table.

• mgerry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kind of like the natural edge bench idea. Will have to see if I have enough of the walnut. But I still want an opinion about whether I use more subway tile. I'm not willing to use nothing.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Soooo....how can anyone help you decide whether to do more subway tile or not, when you don't want to post the rest of the kitchen.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

It's an odd space with an odd configuration, obviously a workaround to take the window into account. I would do it the same as the rest of the kitchen. In fact, I probably wouldn't use the walnut shelves here, but in another place in the house that deserves more focus.

mgerry thanked groveraxle
  • eam44
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You know, whether or not you’re going to keep the same tile (maybe the same color tile as your bs but a different shape?) will have a lot to do with the overall size of the space and the proximity of this wall to the rest of your bs. I agree that taking the tile to the ceiling would be a great move. That space is begging for a window seat! How lovely things look - you must be getting excited.

mgerry thanked eam44
  • PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

I would do a 4" backsplash that matches the counter top and not do subway tiles. The 4" back splash gives you a place to stop naturally with out looking odd. I am not sure a single wooden shelf will fit in the space. I am not sure your countertops are large enough for a coffee station and a bar station. Have you set your coffee maker on the counter with cups and sugar and creamer??

What are your plans for the window area?? A chair with a table for drinking your coffee??

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

While mdln's suggestion is attractive, it would not work for your purpose (coffee, wine). But it is an area that was planned out. Unfortunately, the two cabinets in your area currently look like an afterthought. Is the space between window and cabinet on the right larger than the left? The cabinet on the right appear flush to the adjoining wall, while the left has a space. Cannot do filler because of overlay drawers. Adding one floating shelf above each one won't accomplish much, visually or functionally.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

I hate to tell you this at this late date, but I don't think that area will function at all as a beverage area--the cabinets and counter tops are much too narrow to be useful. The photo that mdln posted is lovely and great for books and other accessories, but I can't see having room for wine bottles, coffee pots, sugar/creamer, glasses, mugs, etc. What was the original plan for the area? Is that new window? A much shorter window (or no window) would have allowed the entire area to be the beverage bar, like these:

Aerie Point · More Info

Butler's Pantry Bar · More Info

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

to get some use I would get a small round pedestal or other [maybe trestle] table between the areas. You can still reach around and open the windows...you could have the things that plug in on the counter areas that you have shown and the "accessories" set up on the table if this is an area that will in fact be used . That doesn't seem certain, really. but a surface larger than what you have is needed. You can't really run counter between, because of window access needs....a bench is not for setting things out . Make sure you will get the planned use or some function evolves..... Then invest in all the wall fixed things like sconces, shelves, tile, etc. The pics above show more of a planned area ....but making use of it isn't out of the question.

• mgerry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm quite surprised that everyone wants to comment on things I never asked about. The area works for me for a coffee bar, I've used it. The other will work for a drink station, also been tried. All I asked about was whether or not I could use a different tile than the back-splash used in the rest of the Kitchen. Without anyone's help I've made my decision. Will now turn off notifications, but do encourage those who comment to stick to the advice that is requested.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Since you never showed the rest of the kitchen folks did not have anything to go on.

• wacokid
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Its very simple why the OP did not show any other pictures, just read Diana's post.

• Toni Hamlett
    4 years ago

I did a coffee bar and did a different tile especially since they do not touch. I say go for something different. Good luck. Also I like the idea of open shelves. Great place to put coffee containers or cups.

• Paru
    4 years ago

Have you looked into cement tiles with patterns ?

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

I don’t think you’ll need tile in this area.