Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_852583847

best trade programs??

Lucy
4 years ago

Hi everyone, first time on here.

I'm an intern at a high-end (I think..) design firm.

They asked me to look around at the Trade Programs that companies like Decaso (and Chairish), 1stdibs, and others. I'm supposed to figure out which ones are the most worth it.

A lot of people say 1stdibs is priced too high? (and I sort of agree) but does the trade program and rewards make up for that?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions as well (or local SF Bay Area stores).

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

What is a "trade program" please?

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

Jan, where is the pro page/forum? Thanks!

Lucy - is this an architectural firm looking to resell (need a state resale certificate and have to file quarterly sales taxes) or is this for another purpose like architect’s-own-home looking for courtesy pricing?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Is this a project your firm is giving you for your learning experience, or are they really not aware of retail trade discounts?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lucy.

Is your firm listed as Pro on Houzz? You can not comment there, unless they are. Are you sure whom you're working for? : ) An architectural firm, or an interior design firm? Seriously hon, ask them and ask if this is busy work, or what if anything, they want to know. It's one or the other, hon. They're either an arch firm, and rarely are involved in the interior design aspect, or its busy work, or they are just CLUELESS and are stylists.........stagers.........not "designers " in any bona fide way.

If they are on Houzz? Post a link to their Houzz site, right here in the comments.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Sorry but really your company should have all this info so “high end “ maybe not so much

• Lucy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi thank u all for the answers (especially Jan). Fairly sure it’s just busy work, but I still want to do a good job. I know my boss has an architecture degree (masters), so pretty sure we’d meet the trade requirements either way. i think they mostly wanted to see what I’d come up with, don’t think I’ll add their name just because I don’t feel like MY QUESTION is representative of their work or quality. i am only an intern :/

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Good decision not to out your employer, Lucy. So if it's busy work, or something for you to do to learn, then do your research and make your own decision. But as Jan stated, you won't get an answer on the trade discount unless you complete and submit an application and a resale certificate. For that you'll need help from your employer.

To myrica4, as far as where the Pro page is, it's only available to Pros :)

Lucy thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lucy, for the record, the largest wholesale discounts provided to designers/architects are the ones through companies who only sell to other re-sellers, e.g. designers, furniture retailers, etc. Sites like Chairsh, 1st Dibs, etc. ALSO sell directly to consumers so their trade discounts are minimal. Same with retail companies like Williams-Sonoma, Serena & Lily, Crate & Barrel, etc.--since their main business is to sell at retail, the discount--at best--is 20-25%, but often more like 10-15%. While they do, indeed, give discounts to the trade, there's really not enough incentive for designers to use them because the discount doesn't make it worth taking on the responsibility. (Which is also, frankly, the reason I don't use the Houzz trade program, either.)

So, if they want to make more money on the sale of furniture, they should be opening accounts with showrooms at the SF Design Center among other places which will offer anywhere from 40 -50% off the MSRP. (P.S. I'm in SF, so if you need some additional guidance, email me at sabrina@sabrinaalfininteriors.com Happy to help you. :-)

Lucy thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

Lucy, I’ve found some manufacturers of building materials will have non-official policies for registered architects if their items will be used in “architect’s own home” (and yes they wanted a signed statement of intent that the materials would only be used in the architect’s personal residence, not for resale and not for your relatives etc.). It is part of their marketing and IIRC nothing is expected in return, no requirement to be beholden to a manufacturer and specify their product for clients In the future. It isn’t something that requires a tax-id #.

For interiors if you have a regional design center, first apply for membership and then see what the individual manufacturers can offer.