Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrklyn_7bny

Please recommend good repeating climbers

sbrklyn_7bny
4 years ago

I am starting a new garden next year and just saw that many of you have started ordering for spring planting already! I‘ll have time to fill in the shrub roses later but want to get the climbers in first since they will be planted in the back.

I am in New York region, Zone 6/7. love white, cream, pink colored roses.

in the south facing front yard there is a 8 feet long section of the fence facing the street, and about 10 on fence with neighbor. I am thinking 2 climbers. Too few? The fence is low in the front.

In the Back yard there are 30 feet of fence facing east with good sunlight. 4 climbers?

Our yard is small so good repeat is a must have. Frangrance would be nice but not a must.

I tried Eden, Gertrude, and Generous Gardener in my old garden. Generous Gardener seems to repeat well, but the flowers don’t last long enough in our local climate so I am on the fence on reordering.

I see double knockout repeats really well here but climbers are my favorite and more Interesting than knockout.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Comments (20)

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

I have Compassion which can be grown as a climber and it has bloomed non stop all year in my zone 7 garden.

sbrklyn_7bny thanked pippacovalent
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you pippacovalent! Compassion looks beautiful. I’ll add it to my shopping list.

Does anyone grow these roses? Do they flower continuously?

Cecile Brunner

Laguna

Zephirine Drouhin

Pretty in pink Eden

Nahema

Souvenir de la malmaison

Thank you!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

You may get a great season out of pink eden ! I did . ZD is not heavy on the repeat , mostly s spring show and maybe some fall but I don’t remember anyone ever bragging about it in the fall.

Thats all I know :)

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

SdlMalmaison does well for Ingrid in So Calif dry.

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago

I have Laguna and it repeats pretty well here, and really nice fragrance.

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

One of my best climbing roses is High Society, very fragrant and quick to rebloom and a quick grower.

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    4 years ago

Teasing Georgia has been great for me. Planted as little more than a rooted cutting last year, now it’s 9’+ and hasn’t been without a bloom all year, despite Japanese beetles, drought, and only morning sun. I am sure that the repeat will only get better, given that this is only its first “real” year.

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • hugogurll
    4 years ago

If you can, you should go to the New York Botanic Garden right now to see which climbers have any vestiage of bloom on them. That would be your best reference.

sbrklyn_7bny thanked hugogurll
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Do you mind thorns? If not, consider New Dawn, Awakening, Viking Queen and Gold Blush. If thorns are an issue look at Mme. Alfred Carriere, Isabella Skinner and Reine de Violette. You might also be warm enough for Renae. Hugo gurll suggestion is a great one if you're nearby. Of your choices, I only grow Nahema. It only recently went in the ground and has given me two rounds of flowers. Not many either time, but it's just a young plant. the fragrance is gorgeous. Some don't like the leaves, but I appreciate their unique shape.

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Lilyfinch and Sheila!

Dingo2001: Laguna sounds wonderful! I think it deserves a spot in the front yard!

Haku84: thank you. high society is for Zone 7-9. We have cold snaps occasionally so I probably need to stick with zone 6 roses.

Dillybeansown: teasing Georgia is beautiful but I haven’t figured out how to mix yellow into my garden design. I’ve played safe with white, pink, purple in my garden. Would yellow work with blue and white?

Hugogurll: thanks for the suggestion! I visited the Brooklyn botanical garden a few weeks ago and not much was going on in the rose garden. now that it has cooled down I will visit again this weekend. NYBG’s rose garden is much bigger if I can make it out there soon.

Vaporvac: thank you for always been so helpful and knowledgeable! New Dawn seems to have mixed reviews. I read somewhere that awakening is a sport of new dawn? It looks so romantic so high on my list. I’ll look up the others you recommended, especially Mme Alfred Carriere. I feel I noted it down somewhere before.

4 years ago

I probably recommended MAC prior! : )) Many people don't dead head their ND so it doesn't repeat as well. There are also clones that aren't actually ND, but its once-blooming sport. Mine is original old cultivar so if you want I could try rooting a cutting, but I truly feel most of the sites we deal with have good clones. Awakening doesn't bloom as much for me, but it is also in some shade whereas ND is in mostly sun. There are so many climbers and I have a lot. Gold Blush repeats like nobody's business, but isn't a full type of bloom for me. A gorgeous pale pink is Dream Land. It's new, but had two baby flushes since going in the ground.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Dilly. Thanks for the info again on Teasing Georgia. I never had any yellow in my bed until I ordered Molineux by mistake. I just stuck in in with the different pink and whites until I could find it a permanent home and to my surprise it really added a lot to my beds. So sometimes one just has to go for it and see what happens. ;D

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Cecile Brunner Climber mainly has one spring flush and a tiny fall flush here in SoCal. There are Cecile Brunner shrub and spray versions that bloom all summer. I have Madame Alfred Carriere and it is a continuous bloomer all summer. That means for me, there are always a few blooms here and there. It does have a more spectacular main spring flush too, especially if laterals are pruned back just before spring growth. I know people here have talked about climbers that have a spectacular single once bloom that can last for many weeks and thus make up for not being a repeat bloomer, at least in cold climates like yours. I don’t remember the names of those since I avoid once bloomers in my tiny yard with blooming potential year round. But if a once bloomer blooms for 6 weeks straight then isn’t that most of the growing season in a cold climate? Here is a great youtube video on pruning climbers for max blooms.
    https://youtu.be/iNfSaH5fLUM

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

It os soooo funny you mention blending these colors !! I was going to make a post soon about the same exact thing. I favor pinks and whites and blues in the garden . Now that I have a very small garden I’m not sure how to make it look cohesive as I really want crown princess Margareta and Bathsheba in my garden . I can’t decide if I want to keep them separate or Just limit my yellows . I did a mishmash in Tennessee but it was such a big garden it didn’t matter . It’s so hard to decide !! I do love yellows and don’t think they clash at all , but find it more soothing without if that makes sense ?

4 years ago

Those collages are beautiful dilly !!

For more inspiration I just remembered this page here , if you scroll down there is a lot and this website is very beautiful! Cori Ann used to share it often .

https://www.gardenia.net/plant/rose-teasing-georgia-ausbaker

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions.

As for color this year I had some yellow and red annuals together and it didn’t work well. fortunately they were just annuals. I noticed that my neighbor‘s yellow blooms worked well next to lavender so perhaps that combination could work. Great to know that Teasing Georgia is more of a golden cream so not too hard to incorporat. Dillybeansown your Nahema looks beautiful!

4 years ago

I forgot that link, Lilyfinch, but saved it this time. Dilly, I was going to post my third baby flush of Nahema, but yours is such a great photo I'll just focus on the fragrance!!! WoW!!! It's up there with La France and Crimson Glory and that's saying A LOT!!!

sbrklyn, red and yellow is really hard to pull off, especially with pinks, so I generally just avoid it. I always think of the rose 'Ketchup and Mustard'. Take a look at a colour chart as that really helps with colour combos. Colour coordination is the hardest as it's only really possible when comparing them. I would classify both Nahema and Scepter'd Isle as pale pink, but in reality, they have very different undertones which shift as the petals age. Good thing there's the green to even everything out.

4 years ago

sbrklyn and vap, haha, thanks but I wish it was mine! I’m afraid I just pull random photos off of the interent for most of them, because often I plan the garden before I’ve even bought the plants, let alone have something significant enough for a picture. :P

sbrklyn_7bny thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    4 years ago

And yes, Ketchup and Mustard. *shudder*