Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Apple Watch 6 - activity tracking

Bunny
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure there have been threads about the Apple Watch, but the latest one I found was 18 months ago, and time marches on. Sorry if this is redundant.

Today I bought an Apple Watch 6 with GPS. I always have my iPhone with me, and really didn't want more AT&T plan involvement (cellular) than I have already.

Since I got home I cannot stop tweaking faces. I must stop.

I got the watch to better track my activity. Not workouts or gym visits. My exercise is walking and I really want a more accurate account of distance (I've never worked with steps).

This morning (before I bought my watch) I walked for 2.5 miles. Since setting up my watch, I've walked nearly .5 miles around the house. When I check my activity for today, it shows .5 miles. And then it shows the 2.5 as "Outdoor Walk."

Is there a way to just combine it all into Activity? I can add it up at the end of the day, but I'd prefer an aggregate count.

Comments (20)

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Mine adds it into the total at the end of the day in the ‘rings’. It will show the indoor or outdoor walks or other activities separately but when you open the rings, the steps and total miles are shown.

A problem I just noticed this week is that my watch and the treadmill disagree on distance. I start the ‘indoor walk’ app and the treadmill within seconds of each other. I walked at about a 17 minute mile pace and walked a mile on the treadmill before my workout. My watch showed I walked .48 mile in the same time. That cannot be correct. Same thing happened the other day.

Bunny thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Outside, thanks, it's good to know that it will be combined at the end of the day in the "rings" which have been puzzling me, so I'll just see how it goes.

Have you calibrated your stride? I found a how-to and will try it in a day or do when the temperature drops a bit. I haven't really trusted my iPhone gyroscope or whatever is determining my steps and the distance they equal. For a long time I thought GPS was really tracking me and figuring out the distance, but someone told me, no, it's the stride and length of step.

I just want credit for all the incidental walking I do that can really add up.

One thing I love is always knowing the temp outside. Silly things.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I have had this watch a while and never had a problem so maybe I should re-calibrate. Thanks for the suggestion.

• blubird
    4 years ago

I think you mean you just bought an Apple Watch 5.....6 doesn't exist yet.

Bunny thanked blubird
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yep, thanks blubird. I got confused with Watch OS6. I have an Apple Watch 5.

• jmck_nc
    4 years ago

I got an apple watch in May (mother's day gift). I still wear my fitbit (cause that is what I've always used to count steps). It took a couple of weeks for the numbers to line up but now they are almost always within a hundred steps or so of each other. At some point I need to ditch the fitbit. If you scroll down on the rings it will show you a total step count.

Bunny thanked jmck_nc
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

jmck_nc, can you explain a bit more about the rings, specifically the three colors and the percentages.

I appreciate the watch telling me to get up and move around periodically. I get up and march around the house till it beeps and tells me I'm good. It's actually easy to forget how long you've been sitting on your butt.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

jmck, thank you, that's helpful info. It's hot here so I had an early morning walk for calibration purposes, 20 minutes. As I was walking, I thought, it would be nice to know when I'm halfway so I can head back. Beep/buzz! It told me I was halfway there. Very cool.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Bunny, the runner icon, which is neon green on my watch, is the one I use for indoor and outdoor walks/runs as well as other workouts. It is the one that seemed messed up for distance the past couple of times I used it. I haven’t calibrated again yet and probably won’t until tomorrow or Friday, too busy and its too hot outside.

And yes, as jmck describes, the rings info gives you a lot of breakdown. Your individual workout will still be displayed with the workout icon too If you activate it.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm slowly figuring it out. I'm doing "Outdoor Walk" when I take a walk outside (duh) and it nicely compartmentalizes it. And I get a running total of my official Walks and walking around Target all together which is actually important to me.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Mine is a version 4 which doesn’t have it, but your should have the ‘hard fall’ detector, which as I understand it will report a fall to 911 and first responders will be sent unless you respond with an ok message within a certain amount of time. You should investigate this, Bunny, and activate it. It sounds great for anyone who lives alone, hikes, etc.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Outside, thanks for the reminder. I’ll get this set up. BTW, according to https://support.apple.com/en-us it’s also available on series 4.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

It must have been included in an update! Thanks, I will go check. Usually I keep checking this stuff, but I have been such a slacker lately.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nine days into it and I love my Apple Watch. I bought it to keep track of my activity, but didn't realize how much it would motivate me. Last night I'd finished dinner and a glass of wine and it told me that I only needed to walk 17 minutes to close my exercise circle. I never walk after dinner (+ wine). I thought, oh all right, and actually had the nicest walk at a very nice time of day.

While I don't really approve of talking on the phone while driving, even hands-free, while my hands were on the steering wheel, I had Siri make a call to my landline and I left a long message to test how it would sound. It came through loud and clear!

Now I wish I'd gotten the cellular version. It mostly doesn't matter since I always have my phone with me, but it would be nice to have the option of not needing it.

• gardener123
    4 years ago

OK bunny, you're talking me into it. As the days get shorter I need a little extra motivation to get my miles in.

Glad you are enjoying it!

So tell me about the difference between the cellular version and the GPS version. Are you saying that you use your iphone as a hotspot?

Bunny thanked gardener123
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

gardener123wws, there are lots of online sources that can better explain it than I can, e.g., https://www.imore.com/apple-watch-cellular-vs-gps-whats-difference

The cellular version functions independently from your iPhone. The GPS version is tethered to the iPhone. I've read that the distance is up to 50 ft. I'm used to always having my phone with me so it seems natural to me, but it doesn't have to be right on your person to work. At home, somewhere in the house is fine. Why would I bother to have my phone when my watch makes/receives calls? I like having the internet, books, etc. with me. You can access stuff on your watch, but it's not the way I want to get info at any given time.

I don't know how much heavier the cellular version is over the GPS. I have small wrists and I don't even feel its presence, very light feeling. It looks big, but the benefits outweigh it. Battery life is longer with GPS. I charge mine at night and put it on when I hop out of the shower around 6:00 a.m. By 10:30 p.m. there's still 40%+ remaining and that's with heart rate monitor on.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Still loving my watch. I bought a $6 sports band knockoff to change the look. Apple's basic bands are $49.

This morning I did my 30+ minute exercise, which is invariably a walk. I've been walking around 3.0 mph but it was chilly this morning so I walked a bit faster, about 3.4 mph. My watch is calling it a run! Trust me, I was walking. It added a new stat, average cadence. This is all fine, but I hope it doesn't expect me to keep up this pace.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

I have the cellular version- they're more expensive to purchase and I also pay $10 a month for cellular service. In January Verizon had a special - buy one iWatch and get one for half price. My DS called and asked if I wanted one and I told him no, I thought they were ugly. Then he said how would you like one for $200 (he had a company discount) rather than $500. Hmm, that made me stop and think. He was buying one for his wife who was expecting her first baby and I thought what a great idea. If she was nursing or washing the baby she wouldn't have make sure she had her iPhone near her to check messages or calls.

I figured for $200 plus cellular I'd try it. Four or five days a week I take aqua boot camp and I'm in the pool for at least 2 hours. Obviously my phone is in the locker or my car and but I can get messages. DH had major open heart surgery and still has medical issues so I don't worry as much when I'm pool because he can reach me.

Bunny thanked maire_cate
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've had the Apple Watch a month and I'm addicted. I hadn't realized how much in denial/delusion I was about my exercise patterns. I used to settle for 3-4 times a week and in reality it could slip to twice. But I pretended that all that walking around Target or Home Depot was the same thing. Hah! It counts as Move but not Workout.

As one who lives on my own, all my motivation must come from me. But my watch tells me to stand when I've been sitting at the computer and time has ceased to register. Every day my watch reminds me that I've established a good pattern and that the day is slipping by and my Workout ring is at zero!

Working out--for me, walking--is so easy when I'm being intentional and mindful of it. It's becoming my habit and routine. I've discovered that it doesn't matter where I am. I set my watch for 30 minutes and explore new neighborhoods. It doesn't have to get boring.

I'm having more smoothies for breakfast and salads for lunch.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio