Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_492140245

what cheap stuff do you love?!

M R
4 years ago

It seems to me so many people on this forum have exquisite taste. And that also applies to appliances! I’ve learned alot and seen some BEAUTIFUL appliances. But not everyone has that kind of budget that seems to be thrown around here. I do not have $4000 to spend on any single appliance but will be buying all new appliances soon. It seems to me the “average joe” renovating a kitchen would go to Lowe’s or other big box store and pick out an appliance set for less than that for ALL items.

To give an example of what I’m looking for: I have a $900 Fridgaire side by side refrigerator that has been going strong 9 years. No problems, no frills. My dishwasher is a $350 Whirlpool. Again, no frills, but hey, it looks pretty good and it always cleans my dishes.

There have to be other how shall I say....frugal...shoppers out there?!? If you have a cheap appliance and love it, please tell me what it is!

Comments (14)

• Mo
    4 years ago

I remodeled 2 years ago, and bought my average joe appliances from Lowe's.

Broan range hood - $239.00

Bosch 300 Series dishwasher - $764.00

LG 20.9 cu ft counter depth french door refrigerator inside ice maker only - $1399.00

Whirlpool freestanding self-cleaning range - $479.00

GE Microwave (from Walmart) about $100.00

Total $2981.00

Later on I got few hundred or so back from Discover. At the time they had a program that refunded the difference if you found an item for less money on just about any site within a certain period of time after the original purchase. They've discontinued the program since then.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I’m considering “splurging” on a Bosch panel ready dishwasher. Do you like yours?

• Mo
    4 years ago

I'm very happy with the dishwasher, and get great results using Walmart's Great Value dishwasher powder. This is the model I have. I like that the buttons aren't visible when it's closed, and it's so quiet. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-300-44-Decibel-Built-In-Dishwasher-Stainless-Steel-Common-24-Inch-Actual-23-5625-in-ENERGY-STAR/1000167533

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Some years back I invested in a DCS all gas 36" range and a Vent-a-hood. That was back when DCS was a stand alone company. It was a lot of money for us at the time to spend on an appliance but I have zero regrets. It's been proven to be good value for the buck and I will probably never replace it. Not much to go wrong with all gas and no fancy circuit boards or much at all in the way of electronics. Not even a clock. No self clean. For me it was an investment. I wanted gas and I wanted something that could outlive me with care.

Dishwashers? Mid priced. I want hot temps and forced air heated drying. If that wasn't an issue I would go down a level. They all clean, it the layout, hot water and drying that matter.

Won't pay more than 200.00 for a microwave. I think I bought our current Panasonic for around 129.00 on sale at Target.

Pay the extra for front load washers (currently Samsung) but never go matchy with a dryer. When my dryer wore out I replaced it with a Sear's clearance item. I only like basic dryers with hamper style doors and and hot air is hot air. I think it was under 400.00.

I like Delta plumbing fixtures. Maybe they break down but parts to repair are readily available. I buy most online since the prices beat out l Lowes and HD.

Not appliances but I bought my Kraftmaid kitchen cabinets (Hickory, solid wood doors) through Lowes during a sale. Saved a bundle by not buying any bells and whistles. Basic construction except for the cabs that have exposed ends. No inserts or other such nonsense. Even the 9" wide tall pantry was bought with shelves instead of a pullout. I bought extra shelves and found long narrow clear plastic bins that fit perfectly. Lightweight and easy to slide out without taking up the hardware space of a pantry pullout. It turned out to be quite a bit more useful than expected for that silly odd size which was all that would fit. Bought a rev a shelf mixer lift after market. Already had a heavy duty Rev a Shelf cab pullout for pots and pans and made sure to order one cab sized for it to be reused. 13 cabs including 5 drawer bases, a tall narrow "pantry" and tall oven cabinet came to around 7000.00 and we got a 10 percent rebate in gift cards.

Never got around to doing the final wall of cabinets but intend to do it soon. That will be Ikea for around 90 inches of shallow pantry along one wall. We'll get the doors and end panels made of hickory to match the rest of the kitchen. The gift of natural wood, no matching stain etc.

Very happy with my Waste KIng Legend disposal. Bought online for well under 150.00.

Fridge is a regular top freezer GE. 600/700.00 ? May end up as a second fridge. Still have my eye on a Samsung French Door, no water or ice in door that has dropped a lot in price.

I don't pay extra for stainless. Never cared for it. All white except for the microwave and top trim on the range. which is also white.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

Ikea cabinets.

And I'm always amazed at the people who fret about the little stuff, like a disposal. A top ISE Evolution costs between $200 and $300. It'll last a really long time unless you abuse it. Yet people buy a cheap Badger model for 130 that will not last as long or give as good a service. All fine and well to bargain shop, but don't buy crap when you can buy quality for a little more, just because of price.

• girlwithponytail
    4 years ago

I went to Best Buy during their Labor Day sale and bought up all kinds of things! Thermador introduced a new line back in May and I picked up one of their “old” 36” ranges on clearance, still in the box— regularly $6,200 for $1,700!! I still have to pinch myself because I was lusting after that range but it was out of budget.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A top of the line Waste King costs around 130.00 and comes with a 20 year warranty. That is a savings of 100.00 over a comparable ISE.

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

Just a caveat based on experience: Don't buy Samsung appliances. Samsung cell phones are wonderful, but their kitchen appliances (particularly the fridge) have given us more trouble than they're worth.

• cindy2459
    4 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread MR. I'm going to need new appliances soon and I don't have the budget for the favorites on this site either so I'm really interested to see what others are happy with.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    4 years ago

My smallish 15 year old GE Profile shelf microwave fro HD . Mics perfectly on its turntable. The end.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love this input! Thanks everyone.

• mabeldingeldine
    4 years ago

Cheap, no, but a bargain, yes.... I waited and watched until I found a 36" GE Profile induction cooktop for $500 and a 30" Electrolux convection wall oven for the same on my local Craigslist. Neither had been installed.

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

oak & iron, your kitchen is lovely!