Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_986732919

Structural Engineer or No?

HU-986732919
4 years ago

My husband and I would like to remove part of a load bearing wall in our two story 1,800 square foot house. He (my husband) insists we don’t need a structural engineer and the contractor he knows has done this “enough times” to know what hes doing. (my point of view is while I’m sure he’s competent he doesn’t necessarily specialize in this although he has done it before. But having done it before doesn’t translate to knowing the weight of the 2nd floor and the load that the foundation can bear for our particular home).

Obviously I would prefer to save the money but I’m not sure that it trumps my comfort level when it comes to this which seems to me like a major modification. I think I could be talked into it but I need more lines of evidence. I’m just an environmental scientist and know nothing about construction.

So I guess what I’m really looking for is more of a poll of “what would you do” in this situation.

Comments (18)

• HU-986732919
    Original Author
    4 years ago

https://ibb.co/pZqjZrt

https://ibb.co/B3vwvDk

Tried to upload pictures but I’m not sure that it worked, pictures are linked above.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    4 years ago

Hire a structural engineer on a consulting basis (i.e. hourly with a cap). You will feel better

• branson4020
    4 years ago

Engineers tend to overthink this stuff ;-) Experienced contractors do this all the time. He will know if the permitting authority requires a structural engineer's approval.

• worthy
    4 years ago

As a licenced renovator, I opened up the first floor five times on my own houses.

But no matter how confident I was, I wouldn't touch a client's home in the same way without a structural engineer's inspection/design first.

• DavidR
    4 years ago

I've owned a house in which a load bearing wall was removed by a previous owner without proper support. I can tell you with complete confidence that your comfort level is speaking wise words. Listen to it.

Or else think twice about whether you want that wall out badly enough to absorb the cost, which you won't get back when you sell the house.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Need a permit for this work? Probably. So yes you will need one.

• Linda
    4 years ago

There are places to cut corners, this is not one of them. I've seen issues from people simply cutting in to a main beam, nevermind cutting them out.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Yes always better to error on the side of caution and any contractor that tells you different is not one I would use. Actually a friends neighbor decided his contractor knew beast and his house fell down mid renovation.

• User
    4 years ago

If a $500 consult is prohibitive to the project costs? You are under budgeted and should not do the remodel.

If a $500 costs gets someone’s nose out of joint enough to pout over hiring a professional? That’s the wrong person the be doing the job to begin with. There’s no collaborative mind set. That’s a failure as a project leader.

If you do move forward and spend that $500, so you can get the required permits and inspections, and that causes major friction in the relationship? It’s not about the $500. It’s about control. That is an entirely different red flag issue that you’d do well to pay attention to now.

• Thomas Wadden
    4 years ago

Yes. I cannot stress this enough. Don't remove that beam without an okay from a structural engineer, because you could literally cause a portion of your house to collapse.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    4 years ago

I used to be a civil engineer working in NY for a testing lab and consulting. The cost to get a consultation for this is not high at all.

• catinthehat
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi I am licensed structural engineer. A few folks here have hinted at the right solution. An engineer’s consultation never hurts - it’s a safe and easy suggestion from those who don’t have to eat the fee. Having said that, there are many situations hiring an engineer is overkill.

It looks like you have cut back about 12’5” of drywall which I am assuming is your span. Depending on your home, you most likely fall under a scenario covered by a span table provided in your local building code. Contractors use these tables to size beams without having to do any detailed analysis. These tables are the reason a licensed engineer is not required by law to design or remodeled most types of residential construction. Engineers develop these tables and review them every few years, and release them to the public for use in situations similar to yours, so that everyday folks do not need to pay a high fee for a highly trained engineer to size a beam that is very common in home construction.

The real question is do you have a permit for this work, and a licensed contractor ready to do the job? Without both of these items, the building code span tables do not benefit you. Without these items, there is no legal recourse for if the beam is the wrong size and the home collapses because somebody did not use the right assumptions for a given span, and you do not have the benefit of a city plan check to identify if the situation is beyond a contractor’s expertise, and a city inspector who has a good eye for a beam that does not meet code.

Hope this helps

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

“the contractor he knows has done this “enough times” to know what he's doing"

That response by your husband to your concern sounds like the “contractor” is not licensed. If he were he would never proceed without pulling a permit. Permit is taped inside to a front, first floor window for all to see, and the city building inspector will be driving the bus, not the contractor or your husband. There will be probably 2 or 3 inspections to make sure all is done correctly.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

You need a competent framer, not a structural engineer. All the beams I've designed and installed were approved by inspection on the first go-round.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

If you're getting the work permitted, yes, you'll need structural drawings along with the existing and proposed plans. Otherwise the permit will be rejected.

And FWIW, if you decide to sell some day, having the documentation of all the work will help with all disclosures.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"If you're getting the work permitted, yes, you'll need structural drawings along with the existing and proposed plans. Otherwise the permit will be rejected."

This varies by locality. Some jurisdictions are more formal and strict than others.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

I get concerned whenever someone is cavalier about making structural changes because of potential life safety issues.

For permitted new construction, specifications for joists, beams, headers, and columns are typically reviewed by the building dept. (assuming there is one in your jurisdiction) as part of the plan review process. The building code in your jurisdiction may prescribe sizes for structural members for certain, well-defined conditions. Everything outside those conditions should be evaluated by a professional. There should be supporting calculations to accompany any specification for beams, headers or columns.

When remodeling, its important that existing conditions be thoroughly reviewed before specifying any structural member. Existing conditions may not comply with current code requirements and may require modifications.

Proceed with caution.