Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_143256

Permit overages?

kelly_143256
4 years ago

Have any of you had overages due to permits being more than the builder thought? Like thousands of dollars off?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

I'm sure its very common.

Permits (including impact fees and connection fees) can vary widely and are in constant revision. In my region (Greater Sacramento CA) These fees are used to provide capital to every agency creative enough to work a calculator. Some fees are based on cost, while others are based on who is collecting the highest amount nearby.

My current projects have had total fees ranging from about $50K to $75K. One in permitting stage will actually receive some offsetting credits for a teardown. I've seen projects cancelled for impact fees over $100K and tract builders pull out of municipalities due to onerous costs.

It takes me a few days to get updated costs for the 30 some line items contained in a permit. That assumes most can be provided by the building department, but sadly they often cannot. Outside agencies change rates on different schedules, often according to new requirements rather than inflation. Some fees will stay flat, others might double. There may be new fees by agencies we are unaware of.

Permitting agencies are getting better at coordinating and informing, but nobody wants to take responsibility for a near accurate total. Typically is "contact ____ and pay fees for clearance"

My strategy is to gather all, be conservative and hopefully come in under.

GOOD LUCK!

• kelly_143256
    Original Author
    4 years ago

PPF - I ask because every time we turn around there is another permit overage. They’ve been thousands off and it’s frustrating.

• robin0919
    4 years ago

We don't have permit fees. What are they?

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Have you verified the fees with the local jurisdiction? You can usually check permit fees and status on line. Look at other houses being renovated and compare their fees. In our jurisdiction, the contractor must have the permit on public display on the property. If you drive around a bit, you may find other homes being renovated. Check their permits and fees.

robin: Permits are essentially taxes (although not called taxes) the jurisdictions levy for construction and modification of real estate and other items. I renovated my house interior. I needed a permit for the new windows and doors; new garage door; replace backyard fence; open kitchen walls; install new electric wall panel; etc. Get the idea? it is a revenue generating source for the local jurisdiction.

• User
    4 years ago

Of course you have permit fees!!!!!!!!!!. Sheesh.

• tiggerlgh
    4 years ago

Some small towns don't have them. The first time my parents built they didn't the second time they did. But even many small towns now have the fees but it is possible depending on where you live to not have them.

• User
    4 years ago

I live in a small town. There’s a $300 permit to build a shed. A $400 permit to build a fence. A 1K minimum permit to the Health Department for the septic. No one wants their neighbor polluting their wells with sewage.

Even in the chaotic unincorporated county next door, electrical, plumbing, and general building permits are required. They may not inspect like a larger municipality does, but they all want that income coming in to keep track of their tax base.

And that is if the Wetlands or Flood Zones aren’t involved. If they are? No one wants to pay for your flooded bayou shack. Build somewhere else than a swamp next to a river that floods.

• Ig222
    4 years ago

We have permit fees for about everything. There is a $250 to change your DW and WM (but surprisingly not for dryers) for example. So, basically, if you buy a $500 DW, you have about $250 for the labor (as invoiced by big boxes), $250 of permit fees, which makes a moderately priced DW at $1000. Not surprisingly, people who just replace DW dont file for a permit.

So, I'm not surprised that permit fees are high and vary.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

The basic permit fee is not a general fundraiser for government but a cost reimbursement to pay for both inspections and checking your plan for proper codes.

Many Houzzers would benefit from inspections and the use of current building codes, especially if the home later gets sold.

• worthy
    4 years ago

Much like traffic tickets merely cover the costs of keeping roads safe.

My latest building permit for 5,800 above-grade sf is C$14,000, plus C$525 for demolition (which requires no inspection), plus Grading (C$10,000 deposit), plumbing, HVAC, arborist and a few more I've probably missed. Even a C$100 fee for filing the application, C$250 for preliminary zoning review. And C$6,275 for a variance hearing and signage.

I remember when this municipality had a small functional office building. Long since shelved for a landmark structure:

Your tax dollars at work.