Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kel_kat5

Small Island Dilemma

kel_kat5
4 years ago

We are designing an Ikea kitchen. My heart is set on an island - of any size. I don't love the idea of a "cart". I was hoping to match our countertop. The Ikea kitchen planner shows an option of an island that is 48" long and only 15 deep with a 9.5" overhang. I was thrilled to see this, but the consultant told me that it is not recommended.

Does anyone have experience or advise with small islands?

Comments (22)

• eam44
    4 years ago

Oh my gosh - great idea, not mine originally - Go to Target or another big box store and get cardboard boxes, and tape them together into the dimensions of the island you want. Make an overhang of cardboard too, and see if you love it. If you do, go for it. If you don't, keep playing with the cardboard and tape until you come up with something that works.

• kel_kat5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is what I did and I do love it. The consultant says I can't do overhang without full sides - side boards. I am not sure how I feel about that.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

I don't even think a 9" overhang is enough to sit comfortably. I'm pretty sure you want at least 12", preferably 15". Without seeing dimensions of your space, it's impossible to tell if your kitchen can even fit an island, but I'm guessing not with those dimensions. Perhaps a peninsula would be better? Would need to see measurements of your space.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I have an Ikea cart that I use for an island in my very narrow kitchen. It is wonderful! And I have discovered that I can also use Ikea stools at each end as well. There is enough overhang to do this. I'm thrilled to have this as I often need to sit down when cooking, and if a friend is over, she can do so as well. I have the following:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/foerhoeja-kitchen-cart-birch-80035920/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dalfred-bar-stool-black-60155602/

The prices of these two items are amazing as is their quality - all solid wood. I painted the base of my island cart black and oiled the top. Black stools are a perfect match.

• kel_kat5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! The cart might work if I paint it to match. I really really wanted an island. Have I mentioned this? LOL

• kel_kat5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anglophilia can you please send a pic of your kitchen and your cart?

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

IMO I don't think you have enough space for an island with seating. It's only 24.5" wide -- which is the size of typical lower cabinets. (is that the total width? Typically countertops overhang 1" on each side. Also how much space are you allowing for the aisles around it? I think 42" around is the recommendation). What's most important to you: to have storage or seating? My thought is that you may have enough space for a 24x48 island for storage. Or you could do the trend of having a table in the middle of the kitchen, with chairs. It could be typical table height, or it could be countertop height w/ barstools. (and could be used as counter when people aren't sitting). Something like this:

Stamford Kitchen · More Info

If you don't need the storage, IMO the table could be a good option because it's airy and makes the room look bigger.

• eam44
    4 years ago

If by full side sideboards you mean there would be cabinet ends on either side, you know what to do... cardboard it out. See how it goes.

Look - I could have put an island into my kitchen. I have the space and they're all the rage. But I don't love an island so much that I was willing to sacrifice efficient use of space to accommodate one, and I'd rather have a banquette and kitchen table than a dining area at counter height. My kitchen has a peninsula now and it will have one when I'm done with it, and that's fine with me - I can't wait, actually. You LOVE LOVE LOVE islands and want one no matter what, so you know what? Go for it. Does it really fit? Probably not. Are all the people telling you not to do this right? Probably, but don't let anyone harsh your mellow.

I would, however, post your layout. The layout gurus here see things that mere mortals, myself included, miss.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Get over the fact that some kitchens are not meant to have islands and if you do not post your floor plan how would we know about yours.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

A narrow island with an overhang is a bad idea. People tend to lean on the overhang and a skinny island can tip over before you realize it is happening. If you have a bkfst area nearby, skip the island with stools. A 24”x48” island with cabinets and doors is more useful and more stable. You should have 42” walking space all around the island.

• acm
    4 years ago

I suspect "don't recommend" is because 15" of cabinets isn't really enough to support 24" of counter, especially with a third of it hanging off. You'd at least want some additional bracing.

Am assuming you've already decided that you can spare the space, so I'm trying to answer your actual question. :)

• Tara
    4 years ago

Ask this: WHY do you want an island? What purpose will it have? Is it for more work space? For seating/eating space? Storage? Do you just like the LOOK of islands? If you need more work space and possibly seating space, I'd forego an island and opt for a dining table that will fit in the area. Ticks all the boxes for me: extra work space (and you CAN SIT while you chop all those veggies and assemble that lasagna), and comfortable sitting and eating space. Problem solved.

• Tara
    4 years ago

AND you don't have to build anything to fit the space.

• Tara
    4 years ago

Some examples:

Past Projects · More Info

Maison Loft Transformation d'une usine en loft · More Info

Grand Army Plaza kitchen · More Info

11th Street Residence · More Info

Mackinac Island Chic · More Info

• Tara
    4 years ago

Here are a couple examples of really narrow islands. Maybe you can get by with the overhang for seating on the end only.

global 2 · More Info

Past and Present Tudor · More Info

• kel_kat5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think the island is out. I will post a new challenge as we have many!

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just ran across this article

8 Narrow Kitchen Islands With Function to Spare

Yes, you can fit an island into your small kitchen. These spaces show how

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-narrow-kitchen-islands-with-function-to-spare-stsetivw-vs~75141289

• Buehl
    4 years ago

Some of those islands in the article are what we call "barrier islands"...not something you want! You don't want an island that you have to run around to prepare a meal.

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    4 years ago

I have done a few islands about your size that look really out of place when all said and done, but the customer loves it.

It just has to be anchored well so the island doesn't tip with the top-heavy overhang.

• kel_kat5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Decided against it but I am wondering if we can do a lower kitchen cabinet to the right of our stove that is longer than the wall (access from. Both rooms)?? To the be Igor of stove.

• kel_kat5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can’t seem to edit my typos!