Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laddie903

BM Maritime White paint color in North facing room?

laddie903
4 years ago

I'm looking at Benjamin Moore Maritime White for my north facing living room walls

and ceiling. However, when I see it on a sample board, I'm wondering if the color might end up being too deep. The ceilings are regular 8 ft high ceilings and the room has a large 3 pane sliding door, however no direct sunlight comes in, so the room can be shadowed. I've considered seeing what it looks like cut down 25% or, maybe just using a lighter shade on the ceilings. Would like to hear from anyone who has used this color, and how has it worked for you. Also, should one or two coats be applied? Are your ceilings the same color as your walls?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

I think the color would be “too khaki” for north light.

Have you considered Balboa Mist?

laddie903 thanked JudyG Designs
  • laddie903
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will take a look at Balboa Mist. In addition to Benjamin Moore Maritime White, I also tried Aspen in Spring which turned out to be similar to Maritime White. I also tried Sherwin Williams Creamy, and that was lighter and a pretty color, but is a bit on the yellow side.

• laddie903
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Please keep me posted if you find something that works for you. Also, I'm curious as to how Maritime White looks on your walls. In the past, I've ordered several "stick on colors" from Samplize, as well as several cans of samples from paint stores. This is proving to be quite a challenge. I did order the Balboa Mist stick on sample, but it has not yet arrived.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

BM Maritime White has an LRV of 68 so it is not very reflective. It is in the Yellow Hue Family so in North room could look dull. What furniture colors and rug and floor coloring is in this room. Lighting?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

If you want a clean white, I suggest BM Simply White or SW Extra White.

• laddie903
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The floors are red oak with the natural stain, so fairly light. The rug is a light sage color with off white border. End tables and television stand are a light walnut color. The walls have always been Glidden Antique White with white baseboards and door casings. This paint color actually looks okay, especially at night. Since it hasn't been painted in many years though, I was thinking it might look better, in the daytime anyway, if the walls were not as light and there was a little more contrast between the walls and the trim.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Have you tried SW Sea Salt. It has green/gray tones and is a really pretty color in most rooms. It would have a nice contrast with your off white trim and floor color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is photo of room with SW Salt on walls and off white trim. Wood floor too. This is great color but you would need to get sample and try in your room with your rug, light at different times of day and night. Very interesting color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Opps

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Picture not posting right. Sorry. I will try again.

• Dee Lirium
    4 years ago

Maritime White OC-5 has an LRV of 73. Virtually certain it’s my pick for a (dreaded) open floor plan.... uplifting, yet warm enough to hold its own beside rustic elements.