Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalld

Living room furniture placement

crystalld
4 years ago

Would anyone have a suggestion on how to arrange the furniture better or if it is too much furniture in the living room?

Comments (47)

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

If you post dimensions of room, I will do a scale drawing for you. Yes, there is too much oversized furniture and wall hangings so I can help you figure out a better layout.

crystalld thanked Flo Mangan
  • happyleg
    4 years ago

Agree, and coffee table 18 inches from couch. It's a big room; remove winged chair to another room.

crystalld thanked happyleg
  • crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo, the room is 19 x 20 with a corner fireplace

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Ok. Nice size room.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Where is the fp; don't see it?!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Is there a TV on the wall opposite windows? Which corner is firepace on?

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tv is across from the sofas with the mirror in between them.

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is my first time using this website, so I really appreciate all of your feedback!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

No problem. I will put some ideas together tomorrow.

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so very much!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is Option 1. Each square is equal to 1 sq ft. Some new things but tried to use what you have in a more interesting and yet functional way.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You can put the console you have currently under the TV behind the left side sofa. It is too light weight for under the TV. I put a deeper wider console under the TV with two stools under it to pull out for extra seating when needed. I would remove all accessories and clear the field to restyle their use. When small things are scattered all over, it looks cluttered. We can use most pieces in new ways. I put a cabinet behind the other sofa so you have a small interesting vignette with the smaller chair a small table/reading nook and nice visual from adjoining rooms.

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your time. Are those two coffee tables suggested in between the two sofas?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Yes.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You could do one large ottoman too in center.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

We can shop in your house for pieces that might work such as perhaps you have an antique cabinet for behind the sofa on right. We could style it with a lamp and some books for a bit of storage and add to the vignette facing into kitchen. A cozy spot.

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You’re great! What do think about the grandfather clock fitting where you suggested with the window?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

That is one gorgeous clock. Measure and see if it would fit. I can’t tell from photos. It might be great between the windows too. Where the mirrors are now.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Between the windows might really be good because it would balance the visual weight of the fireplace wall and the TV. (Would love to lower that TV.)

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love your ideas and am so thankful. My husband was concerned about the sofas perpendicular to the TV for viewing purposes. Have you seen a problem with that before?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I have done this many times. I put two chairs facing TV. How many people are watching TV on daily basis? Many folks stretch out on sofas to watch TV too. So not a big problem.

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree With you! One more question if you don’t mind...would you suggest getting rid of the third chair rather than putting it as a reading nook? I’m not sure about that location...

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And it’s 4 people watching tv. I forgot to answer that!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

It doesn’t cost anything to try out. Guys resist change. So move sofas and chairs first and live with it for a week. See how it feels and works. Keep me posted.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You have plenty of room for chair as reading nook or place for guest to sit and chat with cook.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Yes you could get rid of that chair and that looks nice flow I was thinking of something like that Sorry my phone changed your name

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The trick to make a chair/reading nook there is that the overall furniture arrangement is pulled away from the wall with mirror about 2-3'. That opens the corner space between the sofa on the right and the chairs to create a "nook" for the smaller of your chairs. Then something decorative behind the sofa creates a "vignette" for a separate space that looks great from all lines of sight.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is little sketch to help you visualize the concept of creating vignette/reading nook behind soda.

• crystalld
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh ok I see! Thank you for the advice! I’m going to be moving stuff around to see.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Or the chair from nook on the other side of coffee table.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Grand clock can even go on the nook wall.

• LT Dub
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@crystalld your living room reminds me of my own, very difficult to arrange. i also had a lot of big dark furniture. Rearranging and lightening the furniture helped a lot....it’s still a work in progress...I have some off-white arm chairs and round dining table coming in....I am obviously not a designer... and lighting!!!

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Thats better Crystal, & put the plant in front of the tile wall on right.

• LT Dub
    4 years ago

@happyleg was that comment for me...to put plant in front of tile wall ?

Hope I’m not doing a post hijack LOL

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I modified the layout for you to better position furniture. Option 2 is updated Option 1.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

How's it going? Preying eyes needs to know LOl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Any movement? Get it? Lol

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

LT Dub - start your own thread. Looks like lighting might be the biggest part of your dilemma.

• CT
    4 years ago

I need help too... no furniture yet. Just need an advice what kind of furniture should I buy and how to layout with this odd Living room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Create your own dilemma for help. Thanks!

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Updates?

• PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

You have a nice large space there and just some rearranging can solve your dilemma. You have some great pieces there that would look even better with a bit of tweaking. I've arranged all your furniture pieces slightly differently to add a corner reading space with one armchair. I'd remove the slim console you have under the TV and move it towards the window. You could add a different media cabinet there or just wall mount your TV. As @Flo Mangan says, your mirror is too large for that wall and I'd definitely recommend moving it elsewhere.

I'd also recommend you bring in some color to your space by adding a colored rug and coordinating pillows on your couches. I think a bright Persian rug would look great and really would elevate the room. Here's an example.

You could also add some indoor plants and play around with the positions of the art on your walls. You can view your designs inphotoreal 3D here. you can create your own layouts by adding various pieces of furniture and moving them around in your interactive 3D here.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

The lamp will look better in the corner

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I think you are missing several entries and exists in your layouts, along with walkways so not going to work.