Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_ngo14

Help! Did I make a mistake buying Simply White with Chantilly Lace?

Steve Ngo
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So I love the Simply White color and will be using it for the walls. I saw a post here with Super White being recommended for trim color. The look I was going for was to have a bright white trim that would stand out. When I went to buy the paint, the person there recommended Chantilly Lace instead. I ended up buying Simply White in matte for the walls, Chantilly Lace (semi-gloss) for the trim/crown molding and Chantilly Lace (flat) for the ceiling. I am now panicking and thinking I should have gone Simply White for the trim instead. I haven’t seen what Chantilly Lace looks like yet next to Simply White but did I make a mistake?

Comments (18)

• User
    4 years ago

There isn’t a pot of beans difference between any of those. NO contrast. If you want to actually see a difference between walls and trim, you need a lot more color difference. Any of those combos will be a swing and a miss. You’d be better off just using one color and changing sheens.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Open the cans and do a test. (2 coats of each) Either can go back to the paint store for a tweak if needed.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

The finish makes a huge difference. Simply White in matte on walls and Simply White semi-gloss on trim will show a difference.

I have never used Chantilly Lace, but I was told it is the perfect white by a respected designer. I don’t think there is a perfect white, as so many things influence color.

https://thepaintpeople.com/paint-colours/our-top-10-benjamin-moore-whites/

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Very useful tartanmeup ! Wisdom of crowds and all that.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I think I misunderstood your post, OP. There isn't much difference between Super White and Chantilly Lace so either will look bright white against Simply White. (I have a test canvas of Super White as well. :))

ETA: Here's a pic of Simply White and Super White against my Chantilly Lace wall. Overhead light is on (LED 3k). I wouldn't lose sleep over the difference between the Super White canvas and the wall's Chantilly Lace.

• Steve Ngo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@tartanmeup thank you so much! The simply white is looking more yellow than I thought next to the ChantilLy Lace. I think I’ll stick with the Simply White walls and the chantilly lace trim. Will post pictures when it’s done.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

Hi Steve, I saw your note asking for my opinion.

Simply White and Chantilly Lace work beautifully together.

They are distinctly - and obviously - different colors of white.

They hit all the "rules of thumb" that make a good white color palette:

1. There's a difference in Chroma of more than 0.20. Which means neither will make the other look dirty or dingy.

2. They're not too close in terms of hue family, yet they're not too far apart either.

The result you end up with is creamy off-white walls and crisp, neutral white trim. A warm, pretty envelope to hold a range of styles, decor, furniture.

Steve Ngo thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing your pics, Steve.

• m111675
    4 years ago

following. look forward to see the pics too.

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

“A warm pretty envelope ... “ what a delicious description Lori !

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following for updates

• Holly Mello
    3 years ago

I am adding to an old thread here but I have a similar dilemma... I am painting my new bedroom walls silver chain /harbor gray.. I was going to use simply white on ceiling and trim but I questioned the lack of brightness in simply white on my ceiling .. I have northern and eastern light and some southern but it doesn’t make it in due to a farmers porch. I was advised due to this I might want to try Chantilly lace on the ceiling and that simply white trim could work but it’s doesn’t seem so ? Maybe the gray is causing my dilemma .. i am used to working with two colors not three... I also have vaulted ceilings and a tray... on top of it I need to come up with a complimentary color for master bath.. or stay the with the same ?Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

• Christina Ch
    3 years ago

@Steve Ngo just wondering if you have any pics of the Simply White walls with Chantilly lace trim? I am building a new house and I am about to submit my colours. @Lori A. Sawaya said its a good pair, but some others are saying simply white can look yellow, help!

• Shaila B
    2 years ago

Hi Christina, what did you end up doing? I’m having the same dilemma!!

• B Leib
    last year

Hi!

I am having the same dilemma. Doing chantilly lace most of my house, including ALL trims. I wanted a bit of a warmer white in my dining room since I have wood furniture there. But I don't like yellow! Any suggestions of which paint color will go to chantilly lace trim, will be warmer than CL but not throw yellow but still be a classic white?? Thank you!

• Sandra Van Slyke
    3 months ago

I just finished painting my entire house in Simply White with walls in eggshell, ceiling in simply white flat and trim in Simply White and I love it. My cabinets maybe in 50% Simply White or Chantilly lace. I think the Chantilly Lace may have too much blue under tone so I cannot deside.

• Sandra Van Slyke
    3 months ago

I meant say the trim in Simply White satin.