Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhodi

price for glass shower door on a tub

Lora Strine
4 years ago

I’m in the Washington DC area. Any thoughts on a price for glass shower door? It will be about 70” by no more than 50-60”. It has a tile surround on 3 sides. So the glass will only be on the front side.

Have any thoughts on best door options— sliding or swing?

Note: I know the green board is wrong. They are replacing it w tile backer board.

Thanks very much

Comments (13)

• User
    4 years ago

It’s not just the green board. The pan isn’t right either. You need a different contractor and to not worry s put a $500-$1500 door until the shower itself won’t leak and ruin your house.

• catbuilder
    4 years ago

mackdolan, tubs don't have pans. It's a tub.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

Hi, Lora,

If the tile contractor will be installing Schluter Kerdi Board, then there's no need to change out the green board. Kerdi can be installed over it.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    4 years ago

@Charles ross maybe so, but you cannot sandwhich Waterbased mud between the 2 and certainly not kerdiboard vs membrane.

@ OP Greenboard has not been approved ior years as you probobly found/know .

Glass can vary drastically Custom VS a store bought kit. Id budget for $1200-2K +

• Helen
    4 years ago

A swinging door is nicer than a sliding door. First because you don't have tracks that get icky and also frameless doors look sleeker.

I recently remodeled and had a door installed in what is your configuration - i.e. tiled walls on three sides. Mine had the door and a fixed panel.

I upgraded and had them use Showerguard and I think it was well worth the expense. I never squeegee - just hose it down after I use if I see some blobs of shampoo or conditioner and it dries completely spot and streak free.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

@Mint Tile,

Schluter, the manufacturer of Kerdi, says it can be installed directly over drywall with no issue. Kerdi gets mechanically fastened to the studs; there's no "mud sandwich."

• Lora Strine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s ok they r going to take the green board out.

• Lora Strine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My architect agrees. He says if u do put Kerdi over wall board there will be a lip and a problem for tile

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

To get the answer to the question, go to a local glass shop. A good one will have full size floor models of their shower/tub enclosure doors on display. There is a difference in price depending upon the glass thickness, edgework, metal extrusion thickness and finish, and the quality of the installation.

• Brittney E
    4 years ago

My frameless glass door for the same size but shower to taller is like $1600...I’d guess you’ll be less than that since it’s tub

• Sammy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I can’t answer your original question (sorry!), but I can clear up the other stuff. ;)

My architect agrees. He says if u do put Kerdi over wall board there will be a lip and a problem for tile

Since Kerdi Waterproofing Membrane, not Kerdi-Board, goes over the green board, there is no lip:

“Waterproofing for tiled showers with a bathtub can be done in a couple of ways, both equally effective. KERDI-BOARD is ideal for use instead of gypsum or cement board in cases where the wall studs are accessible, while the KERDI waterproofing membrane is perfect for application over wall boards already in place.”

Schluter®-KERDI-TUBKIT

The Schluter®-KERDI-TUBKIT contains all the components necessary to create a fully waterproof and vapor tight bathtub surround assembly.

• Designed to create a fully waterproof and vapor-tight enclosure for tiled bathtub surrounds
    • Contains waterproofing membrane, and waterproofing strip, pipe seal, mixing valve seal, and sealing and bonding compound