Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstinamichelle

Plumbing Q: Moving/adding to a new wall.

Tina S
4 years ago

We need to get plumbing to the fridge. There is existing plumbing in the island that I guess could be extended over to that wall, but it was set up for a small island sink that’s now not going to be used.

How hard is this going to be to accomplish this?
Estimated cost?
Is this worth doing or do I need to consider moving my fridge back near the sink?

Backstory: I do have design help posts and my fridge has been in two places. Due to wanting to keep a certain corner
cabinet, I had to move the fridge. Any suggestions anyone might have regarding this or my kitchen design, I welcome the input. My KD is now out of the picture and any changes I have to do on my own.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What kind of plumbing?

Do you have access underneath, or are you on a slab?

A line for water & ice might just require one drilled hole and a clamp-on tube.

New To Kitchens? Read Me First!

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2767030/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first#n=0

Tina S thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • shead
    4 years ago

The only plumbing you need from the island is the water line - no drain lines.

What is under the kitchen - slab, crawlspace, or basement? Running a simple water line over isn't terribly difficult unless on slab and then it would have to come up from the main sink and through the walls and down to the fridge. Otherwise, you can run under the floor.

Tina S thanked shead
  • User
    4 years ago

You can go over, or you can go under. Attic or crawl space. Simple.

Tina S thanked User
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry, it’s a concrete slab. Hot and Cold lines are already encased on island area. We are not putting in an island sink now, so the lines will be useless there.

• greg_2015
    4 years ago

The only way to get from the island to the fridge would be to trench through the slab. It might be easier to put the plumbing in the wall from your sink to the fridge (even though the distance is greater).

But your GC will have a better idea about your general situation than a bunch of people on the internet. Why don't you ask him/her?

Tina S thanked greg_2015
  • Buehl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Too bad about no island sink. It would have provided you with a decent prep workspace. The space b/w the range and sink on the perimeter does not look all that wide. Water and sufficient adjacent workspace are "key" components to a successful Prep Zone, preferably either next to the range or directly across from it with no more than a 48" to 48" aisle. (There shouldn't be a DW in that space either.) You don't want to have to keep moving food from place to place as you try to prepare a meal -- which is what will happen if you plan to prep on the island without water or on the other side of the sink.

Is there at least 36" b/w the range and sink? (I'd want at least 42", though, it's more useful.)

Tina S thanked Buehl
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

As noted icemakers only need a cold water supply, since you are on a slab hopefully the plumber can find some other water source in the attic and tap onto it (maybe the water heater for instance)

Tina S thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • shead
    4 years ago

Since you already have plumbing in the island, what about an under counter ice maker? We have one (Sonic ice) and LOVE it!! You could put a filter on your main sink and then just get a fridge without water or ice. I’d prefer to have more actual storage room in he fridge instead of an ice maker. Plus, door water dispensers tend to get nasty over time.

Tina S thanked shead
  • Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

greg_2015 - We don't have a GC, we are doing this ourselves. We've been in this house for quite some time with a temp kitchen and no island. I'm past done w/this set up and had a KD come up with the design posted. The fridge was on the other side of this entry (right now its where the range will be), but it wasn't leaving much space between it and the corner, so it was moved. Plus I'd look at corner base cabinet that I was wanting by leaving the fridge in that spot.

Buehl - The space between the range and the sink is 24" which my KD said is the minimum. There is 42" between the island and the sink and about 35" between the island and the entry. If I'm running the water line in the slab, that will allow me to move the island a bit to give me almost 42". It doesn't bother me that the prep sink is/won't be there. I mean I don't have an island now and prepping next to the sink is a pain in the butt currently, but the biggest pain is my range is currently where my fridge will be.

shead - I'm sure my hubby would love that and we did have one at his parent's house long ago. However, its an added expense that I don't want to have. I'm having a difficult enough time w/the kitchen expense as it is now.

• Tina S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your answers. I feel much better about this now. Just the way my husband commented about having to get plumbing over to that area concerned me.

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Jake is SO right.

Tina S thanked chiflipper