Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_black3065197

Can’t pick duraseal stain for floors

Danielle Black
4 years ago

We have oak and it’s yellow. The home is 20 years old and floors have never been redone. I can’t pick a stain. I’m open!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

What are your choices?

Danielle Black thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Coffee brown, provincial, medium brown I think is where I’m heading. But not “on trend” I can pick any duraseal stain and they can mix them. Sky’s the limit!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Your decision should be based on what is appropriate for your home, and since you have not posted full images of the house, one can only guess. Which wood do you currently have on your floors?

Here is a photo from another Houzz posting. You have to see the stain on YOUR floor under YOUR lighting.

This isn't hard to do. Select based on process of elimination. I took out the natural, gray, white, red and orange colors

So now instead of 29 colors to choose between you're down to 16 to choose from. Now you do the same.

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That helps a lot and they are going to do some test spots for me tomorrow. I can’t wait!

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 years ago

Chestnut! Nice brown. Not too dark. Not red. Not too light.

Danielle Black thanked Johnson Flooring Co Inc
  • Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I asked him to bring out chestnut later too !

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Provincial reads yellow to me :/

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Reads yellow when compared to the other two neutral tones. However, your home has had light floors for a long time. Be careful about going in the exact opposite direction You will have to reexamine all your interior furnishing and lighting selections because a dark floor is going to EAT LIGHT UP.

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think dark walnut out .... I’m having him bring out special walnut and chestnut. Far right is hubby’s favorite medium brown

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think provincial out seems yellow

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

I don't like the middle one, seems yellow. Left or right stains are nice. I actually like the dark walnut, but of course, that's what I have in my house. I also have light walls and lighter colored area rugs, so sucking up the light is not a problem for me.

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like it but hubby thinks too dark. I’m trying the special walnut as it shows grain and more neutral.

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

New options!

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Since I know DH doesn't want the darkest one, I vote for the bottom one on the picture above. The other lighter stains I feel read too yellow.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Please make sure a single coat of finish has been applied to the stain patches. Without a coat of finish you are picking blind. Finish (the polyurethane stuff you are paying $$$ money for) will ENHANCE the look of the stain. If it is 100% water based, it will NOT turn yellow. If it is oil based or oil modified it will turn YELLOW! And a little bit of that yellow WILL SHOW UP over a test patch.

Without a coat of finish, you and your refinisher are setting each other up for failure. Do NOT make a decision until you have CONFIRMED there is a coat of poly over each stain patch....and one on raw wood to show the look of natural wood.

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

He put this neon white slim over each

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

At night

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Forgive me, but what is "this neon white slim"?

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Instaseal extreme ?

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

I like the bottom row stain on the right - The others read too yellow/orange

• tvq1
    4 years ago

We refinished our 20 year old red oak floors this spring. The original stain was a yellow/orangish and fairly glossy. After two weeks of looking at 6 stain samples night and day we chose the Chestnut stain. NOT the English Chestnut, which, in my opinion, has a pronounced reddish cast.

Fast forward 6 months and we are very happy with our choice. It's a warm, rich medium brown. I will say it does show dust a little more than our original floor, but we vacuum about every other day, so really not an issue for us. We are finding it a nice change, and a much warmer, richer look.

* Edited to add: Our samples looked very different daytime vs. nighttime. We have a fairly sunny home with lots of windows.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Best to know what "oak" OP's floors are - Red Oak or White Oak - Stains will look different and take on different hues depending on the type of oak.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

If they are using Duraseal stains, my guess is they are using DuraSeal finishes. The question becomes, "Which one?".

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Way darker than the sample patch but they water popped it first. I really like them! Darker and Not yellow or red which was the main goal but not too dark to show dog hair!

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Duraseal HD

• Danielle Black
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Then Duraseal clear max I believe

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

Which stain did you end up choosing?

• Danielle Black