Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Ugly Christmas Sweater ... Ideas Needed

IdaClaire
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Yeah, I know I've been totally over-posting again, but I have a lot on my mind these days. ;-)

I'm going to a holiday party where there will be an ugly sweater contest. We did this last year and I opted not to participate, but everyone who did had so much fun, and I want to be a part of that this year. To that end, I am leaning towards the thing I probably know best, and that is being a Crazy Cat Lady. I have ordered this sweater:

It lights up. :-D It is quite plain on the back though, and I see "room for improvement".

I was tossing around ideas of how to "weird it out" a little (or a lot?) more, and thought about attaching plush cats, perhaps with bits and bobs of Christmas ornaments wrapped around them or in their mouths -- an attempt to make it look like these deranged little creatures had been completely tearing apart a Christmas tree. These are available on Amazon:

The cats are only about 8" long, and I was thinking I could attach them to the sweater (from the inside) with large safety pins perhaps?

I was also thinking about a Santa hat with an embroidered saying on the white fur ... "Merry Catmas" or "Here Comes Santa Claws" or something to that effect. I want to avoid "Meowy Christmas", as the winning sweater last year had that saying on it (but was completely different, aside from featuring a cat, than the concoction I'm putting together).

You're a creative bunch ... any ideas for how to crazy this up? Well, without looking like a TOTAL moron, I mean. I do have to work with these people. ;-D

Comments (37)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I love attaching cats to the sweater. Would you consider a string of battery operated Christmas lights wrapped around you as well?

IdaClaire thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Absolutely! I'll try to devise a way to work some extra lights in there, as the lights around the psychotic kitty on the front of the sweater look a bit sparse. I also just saw this sweater, and love those little poof-balls, which look very cat-toy-like to me. Maybe I could find some just like this and glue 'em on.

And I found these leggings which I love, although I fear the fit would feel "obscene" and I'd be looking for a long top to wear under the sweater to cover the boo-tay completely. But they would kinda complete the ensemble, wouldn't they!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What I really liked best was the sweater with the image of a vintage Santa on front who was saying, "I Saw What You Did. You NASTY." But I'm not sure everyone who will be at the party shares my warped sense of humor, so I nixed that one. ;-)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, and apparently my idea is nothing unique. LOL!

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Who won last year? That is the bar to ugliness I think?

I'm not a fan of all those toys dangling. How long to do you have to wear the sweater?

I think the sweater is enough. All the extras create a Halloween effect for me.

IdaClaire thanked eld6161
  • bpath
    4 years ago

I see it’s a black sweater. All you have to do is let the cat sleep on it . . . Heck, just walk through the house with it on . . . And it will be plenty decorated with kitty fur tinsel lol!

IdaClaire thanked bpath
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maybe the plush kitties are a bit much?

I'll only be wearing this for a couple of hours during drinks and dinner. I might just go with the sweater and a random scattering of poofy-glitz pompoms, the leggings, and the hat. Last year's winners were llama-themed and "meowy Christmas", and I suspect the bar will be set a bit higher this year. Last year was our first year to do this, and there were some other cute sweaters in attendance. I think there will be more participation, slightly amped-up from last year, this time around.

How about just one kitty climbing up the back?

• bpath
    4 years ago

Maybe a string of lights rolled up to look like a ball of yarn, unrolling.

IdaClaire thanked bpath
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, yeah! I could try to do that on my shoulder, letting it spill down the back. (With one plush kitty tangled in it.)

I do want to have the hat made (hey, it's cheap). I'm not sure quite what to put on it though. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Catmas", or ??? I thought about "Here Comes Santa Claws", but that might look like I just don't know how to spell Claus.

(Then again, this is easier to read than the other.)

• lobby68
    4 years ago

I LOVE Santa Claws over Catmas, FWIW.

The idea of adding just one cat on the back with the "yarn" ball of lights is great too. I think if you go to OTT with too many cats then it might backfire by being too ridiculous. I mean, we are playing to win, right?? It's a fine line to walk between good ugly and bad ugly!

IdaClaire thanked lobby68
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

Okay.... you can have one kitty, but just one. The thing is, that just makes it cuter, not uglier.

I can see this tradition getting more and more elaborate. My first impression is that it is just a sweater, not hats, pants etc.

IdaClaire thanked eld6161
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Last year a couple of folks dressed in head-to-toe elf outfits, so I think the interpretation of "ugly sweater contest" has been applied a bit liberally by some. ;-)

So maybe not the pants, because that's likely to go wrong anyway. I mean, once I pull those things on and the cat faces are all stretched to the max, it's just going to become comical. And embarrassing. I'll probably do the hat, though.

• User
    4 years ago

What about the stuffed cat batting at some catnip, maybe suspended from fishing line or something. A stoned cat is funny to me, but I don't have cats, so maybe it's not funny to actual cat owners.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • Lars
    4 years ago

A friend of mine in San Francisco back in the 1970s who was a fellow clothing designer was commissioned by Alice Cooper to make a coat for him. My friend Billy sewed stuffed rats on it, and Billy told me that Salvador Dali appropriated it from Alice Cooper and that Alice Cooper never wore it on stage. I was making stage costumes at the same time, and I was living in a theatrical commune back then.

But you probably don't want to be that drastic.

IdaClaire thanked Lars
  • msmeow
    4 years ago

You could use "Sandy Paws" instead of "Santa Claws". I also prefer that over Catmas.

Donna

IdaClaire thanked msmeow
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

I need to know where you found those leggings, please!

• bpath
    4 years ago

Maddie lee!!! LOL!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

If you are not planning on wearing it again, I would use some spray adhesive and dust it with kitty litter. Clean, of course!

IdaClaire thanked jojoco
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

Thanks, IdaClaire.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    4 years ago

How about a long furry tail attached to the back? You could buy a 1/4 yard of fake fur (which is usually 58 - 60" wide) and stitch the raw sides together, stuff it with some tissues, and pin it to the bottom of the sweater.

IdaClaire thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Michele
    4 years ago

Several years back the ugly sweater my daughter expected to arrive in time never showed up. She was really disappointed.

I took a red cardigan and went to town with a bunch of ornaments I had saved but didn’t put in the tree because they’re not quite nice enough in my eye. They were PERFECT for this sweater though.

It was a contest at work. She won!!

I save the sweater with my ornaments. I wish I had a picture.

IdaClaire thanked Michele
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

I bought some Christmas light leggings last year and wore a black dress over them, so, there's always another outfit.

IdaClaire thanked gsciencechick
  • lascatx
    4 years ago

I just saw this, but I like the sweater -- my first thought was similar to yours but putting a present with bow torn off and paper is tatters on the back. The idea of a single cat and a strong of lights is good too. I agree with no to the leggings -- not needed and takes away from the sweater, but I'm ok with a Santa Claws hat. Have fun!

IdaClaire thanked lascatx
  • Allison0704
    4 years ago

Taking MsMeow's idea, you need to go to the party using the pseudonym Sandy Paws. Introduce yourself to everyone, even those that already know you.

I like the cat sweater and would add some to it. The fur around the bottom and tail are good ideas. One cat handing on a strand of lights down your back, wrapped loosely around your neck too.

IdaClaire thanked Allison0704
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The sweater arrived yesterday and it's a hoot! The cat truly looks deranged. The light up aspect is a bit underwhelming so I will definitely supplement with a string of battery operated lights. I also want to add the pom poms and one stuffed kitty and will consider how to add a tail to maybe make it look like there's a kitty hiding under the sweater. I have ordered the Here Comes Santa CLAWS hat and will just wear my black pants. I think it'll be fun and just the right amount of weird. ;)

I like introducing myself as Sandy Paws. Maybe a "Hello My Name Is" name tag will work.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The ugly sweater embellishment is almost complete. The stuffed kitty will be perched on my right shoulder, with his hind legs, tail, and kitty butt facing the front, as he "leaps" down my back, grabbing at the string of lights that also descends willy nilly down the back side. The cat toy puff balls are on the back too. I have the Here Comes Santa CLAWS hat, so I'm just about ready for our party!

• lyfia
    4 years ago

If I'd add anything to the back I'd add a tail with a bell or something at the end. Sort of like the polar express bell.

Sounds like you'll have fun with it no matter what.

IdaClaire thanked lyfia
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I won the ugly sweater contest! Woohoooo! We had so much fun! Probably had close to 60 in attendance at the party and almost everyone wore an ugly sweater. I now have A Major Award... that almost covers the cost of making the sweater. ;)

• terezosa / terriks
    4 years ago

Congratulations!! Well done.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

Congratulations! (Of course, you'll have to think of another idea to top this one for 2020.)

• bpath
    4 years ago

A Major Award! Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I love "knowing" the winner! Congrats.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

Congratulations! That would make me smile for a long time!

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Congrats! The pieces of tree on the back was a great idea!

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

That is one ugly sweater! Very creative with the added touches. Congratulations on the win!