Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carina_matthews

Kitchen peninsula or island table for a cool modern home?

Carina Matthews
4 years ago

Houzzers I need your help. We are building a high end modern, water front spec home and the kitchen will have water views to the North and West. Kitchen dimensions are 12'5" x 17'1" with a wall of glass along the 17'1" North wall that leads to a balcony. Both options place the 48" range and hood on the 12'5" East wall with a feature tile and lower cabinets.

Option 1: uses a decorative table approximately 10'6" x 30" with 8 stools tucked underneath as a large gathering spot and work surface at counter height. This design places the sink, a 48" refrigerator, and a 30" coffee station AGAINST the South wall. I am into lighting so I plan 3 pendants over the table - not thrilled they will block the view of my range and hood.

Option 2: uses a half wall shortening the windows on the North wall allowing for lower cabinets and sink placement in front of a window. A peninsula then provides seating for 5. The South wall still holds the refrigerator and coffee station and is outfitted with 2' deep storage to complete the wall. Again I would use pendants over the peninsula.

This home may be a second home for our eventual buyers (we build everything with resale in mind.) Our architect feels storage can be compromised for the aesthetic - I also want to capitalize on the view.

Is the loss of an "island" and the change in the window wall worth the trade for sink view and more storage?

Does a peninsula date the home? Or does it make sense for function and beauty????

I need to hear your thoughts on this one... thx

Option 1:

Option 2:

Pardon my Google Sketchup quick drawings....

I promise the backsplash will be tasteful.

Comments (40)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

welp, im not a pro but I have a few thoughts.

1. I love the tall windows and the cool look the kitchen has with the long table. but 30'' is not that wide, and if you even tried to have 8 people sit there it would be terribly crowded, right now if people were to sit across from each other they get 15 inches depth without anything on the table.. plus once someone pulls out a chair sit and look out the window they are directly in the path of the only storage, fridge and really the whole flow. say you want to open the fridge, hope no one is sitting there lol. And if they only sit at the far end, well then they might as well be sitting at a peninsula. plus the person at the sink has their back to EVERYTHING happening in the room.

2. I do NOT think peninsulas are dated, in fact, is spaces like this they are practical. on a resale token, the kitchen is more open and appears that it would flow better and you could actually have more bodies in there functioning without tripping over a large narrow table.

3. why does the kitchen layout have to change just to put the peninsula there? You could leave layout one and have a waterfall edge "peninsula" butted up to the full-length windows, possibly tuck seating on either side....instead of the traditional wrap-around counter to peninsula...

Carina Matthews thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Where is the plan for the ENTRE house?? I can tellyou right now, if at all possible, you dont want a kitchen that narrow. Post the entire house plan. You are way ahead of yourself.

Here's another tip! Rarely is an architect a decent kitchen designer.

Carina Matthews thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

In that kitchen you do not have space for an island what you need is work space not seating space Take Jan’s advice architects are usually really poor KDs I have large windows in my kitchen but they do not open to my deck on that side of the house and my kitchen is 6’ wider than yours with an island with a ton of storage . IMO storage trumps 48” range everytime. No one needs a 48” range unless they cook for 20 every day. I run a catering biz with a 36” range and my hood is noisy one for a 48” is twice as noisy. I agree we need to see the whole house plan but IMO in a high end home this kitchen is too small There is not seating for 5 at the peninsula either it would need to be a full 10’ to barely seat 5 and the walk way would be non existent.

Carina Matthews thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • lucky998877
    4 years ago

I would hate to cook in option 1 because people will be sitting right in the middle, and it will be hard to access the fridge, very little room by the range also...my butt would hit the table when I bend down to put something in the oven. Option 2 lets the cook move around freely and keeps others out of the way. If the view is the main point, then in option 1 I would scoot that sitting area right by the windows and look outside rather than having a narrow counter where people face each other...yes, less seats but it would be worth it for me. This would again free up space for the cook. My biggest pet peeve in my current kitchen is that everyone is always in my way, drives me crazy!

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan Moyer I appreciate the insight that architects are rarely kitchen designers. The size of the kitchen has bothered me since the initial design meeting. I am happy to post the house plans, but we are, indeed, pretty far into the rabbit hole. This is our 24th or so design build project primarily in South Florida. This one is on a point jutting out from the island of Key Largo. It's an elevated modern home with an inverted floor plan to capture 180° views. Cocktail pool is on the first elevated floor with a plexiglass wall. It's admittedly a bit Miami for the keys, but it will be highly visible from the water. It's not a large home by most standards, 3800+ SF interior with 2700+ SF of outdoor entertaining area for the Florida Indoor/outdoor living lifestyle. The architect clearly worked from the outside in and attempted to fit rooms inside her form. (I always work form the inside out starting with ideal room sizes but I have sacrificed the exterior aesthetic in the past). If it helps, imagine this is an apartment - I am constrained by the elevator/stairs and structural members at this point. I agree that it's much cheaper to modify now as opposed to once construction has begun - but I indeed feel like the kitchen size is a "miss" I am trying to make the best of. The master is tight as well.

I could make an island work if I had more width, I plan 4' kitchen walkways. The original kitchen design had a 2' walkway in front of the window wall with seating facing away from the view, 12" of legroom with lower cabinets in the island base. I flipped out and this is where we ended up.

I'm tired of hearing, "We believe our kitchen layout works best." 90% of kitchen sinks don't stare at a wall.

Once I drew it in 3D I saw it wasn't functional or beautiful.

I would have to crane in a table of that size - which I may do for an amazing dining table...

I understand the architect feels I would be bastardizing the exterior by creating a half wall under the windows. Is it the right thing to do for form and function in the kitchen??????????

seriously, thank you for your opinions.

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Patricia Colwell - thank you for pointing out that I am stuck on the impact a 48" range will make and I may not have room for it. I have used this set up by Thermador and it's functional and lovely - seriously not too loud.

As silly as it seems, I snuck in two additional counter stools on the other side of the peninsula - I agree 6'5" is just enough space for 3 stools.

I understand that not all kitchens have the space required for an island.

In your opinion, can a peninsula meet the need for seating WITHOUT dating the space?

I tend to design kitchens for multiple cooks and friends that gather... the architect is fighting me on this saying people don't cook at a vacation house....

I'm trying to make the best of a small space - I tried to use the balcony space - relocate the kitchen. Structural constraints dictate and I have lost.

Help me put lipstick on this pig. Please.

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RL Relocations LCC - Thank you for your input! Perhaps a differently shaped table??

I still hate the thought of a sink on a wall...

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the plans:

The kitchen is tucked into top floor balcony corner on the right....

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Tucked in? Anyone who needs a 48 inch range, doesn't want a tucked in kitchen. That house........STARTS from a kitchen. Half the with of the structure, is taken up with stair and passage to stair. Not great. Views are great, but kitchens need more than view. Not loving anything, sorry to say : (

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I hope no handicapped person wants to vacation here, they could never get around in this house, its beautiful but the architect is right it's not about the function in this house its about the form. What if someone doesn't want to use it only as a vacation home or wants to stay 6 months out of the year. That looks like a galley style kitchen and should be treated as one. Anyone who says people dont cook on vacation seems to me they have never really had a family vacation where you actually enjoy being in the kitchen together..........

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Ditch the form and get function. or ditch the function for the form...........

Personally, ( and I am no purist ) it doesn't feel like Key West.....any more than it would "feel" like Nantucket Mass.

I'm sorry for the very humble opinion. Truly. : )

• damiarain
    4 years ago

Could you instead do a galley style - range (36" maybe?) + fridge along the back wall, then a ~30" island with the sink but no seating along the long edge. That leaves the windows floor-to-ceiling and ~4' aisles between the island & perimeter cabs + between island and the windows. Because the island is long and only has the sink, it'd be a nice buffet surface. While there's no seating in the kitchen there is lots of space for congregating PLUS there's tons of seating in adjacent rooms / outside

Carina Matthews thanked damiarain
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

or make it more square and have more counter space on back wall.

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan Moyer - I appreciate your candor. The home is in Key Largo - about an hour south of Miami so it's very commutable for the Miami crowd. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's more of a Mojito. I appreciate the acknowledgment that this home is "all about the form". I am trying to eek a bit more function from this form. Now that we are all on the same page, 1. I cannot in good conscience specify a 10.5' x 30" table in this space. And 2. I will also reconsider the 48" range( - though it may have value for show and tell.) Thank you again for taking the time to share your opinions.

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RL Relocation LCC - It's hard to see the scale on those drawings, but with an elevator and 4' hall ways this home is "age in place" ready in the Keys. We are constrained by lot size, hurricane regulations... it's certainly not perfect and if I could add square footage it would be in the kitchen and master. My current kitchen is 13' x 18' - L shaped with a large Island. Our wall of windows is on the 13' side so the island serves to divide the kitchen from the living space and it works for us. I've been bristling about this narrow kitchen and it has been extremely helpful to get more feedback. Thank you. I am not a fan and will not settle for the architect's kitchen.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I can tell you that a 36 inch MONOGRAM is a veritable work of art to use. I have not one client who does not love it. Not one. Dual fuel 6 burner, with an incredible oven , all burners simmer, closed and a cinch to clean, oven holds a full size catering sheet. Go LOOK

The 48 inch appeal is in your head. ........a snot factor that most folks have now seen so often, they aren't all that impressed, and that extra little oven is a waste. You can barely get a 9 x 13 casserole in it. Eating a lot of those in your foodie group ? I bet not lol. Add a GE Advantium, The super star of microwave.

Carina Matthews thanked JAN MOYER
  • apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Does the clear view from the kitchen window wall into the master bedroom window wall concern you?

Carina Matthews thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the view is not impered at all if you put a run of lower cabinets along the window wall and I beg to differ with the architect how do you know if this will be avacation home or a real home BTW form alsways follows function .

Carina Matthews thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • just_janni
    4 years ago

First of all - this house is amazing. Yes - it's form over function but it's cool as hell. We've seen compromise here with much less impressive aesthetics.

I would do kitchen #2 - the placement of the kitchen recessed under the overhang will have less of an issue not having the windows full height, and they are already set off by the structural support columns that break up the full height glass to the left and right.

Kitchen #1 is too tight and the people sitting there will only be in the way, and they will FEEL that way too. The peninsula allows them to participate without being in danger, or being a danger.

Also design the outer portion so that the windows meet the counter (no backsplash) for added style. - or - you could accordion those uppers for a giant kitchen passthrough with some counter eating outside! Agree with losing the 48" range. I've had a 48" cooktop for 20 years and the 2 burners to the right of the griddle are sad and lonely. I'd recommend, however, 6 burners on 36" - because the 12" can be tight and IMO the grill / griddle is highly overrated.

Carina Matthews thanked just_janni
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

love the accordion window idea that's smart!

• cd7733
    4 years ago

I don't think the half wall (for the more functional option 2) would negatively affect the elevations.

Half wall matching the lower level bar:

Half wall matching wood accent:

Carina Matthews thanked cd7733
  • Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

apple_pie_order It’s been a point of discussion. I was initially concerned with the potential lack of privacy... I plan to use sheer drapery with a lining for light control. The bed faces North and the view to the West is just too good to close off.

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Patricia Colwell Consulting I agree - I feel the impact to the exterior is minimal as it is recessed - there will also be a table and chairs on that portion of the linai. It would have been something to look through with the full glass design. Thank you for your insight!

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

just_janni Thank you for the complement. I have confidence that the finished product will indeed be cool .

I agree that the structural members will frame the window half wall nicely and actually lend themselves to the design. I initially drew a 6” backsplash at the sink but I totally agree windows to counter level make the installation more modern and crisp.

Impact glass and storm ratings make the accordion idea a bit impractical- but it would be cool.

Thx for your insight pushing for 36”. I have a 36” gas Monogram cooktop and I use 3 of the 4 burners - the griddle looks great, but I don’t want to clean the sucker. Maybe for Christmas I’ll let my husband cook on it...

thanks again.

• Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

cd7733 Thank you for the time and effort modifying the elevation. I’ve always pictured the half wall white but it good to see options!

And thank you reinforcing option 2.

• Karenseb
    4 years ago

Here are a couple ideas that keep the tall windows. The first one puts 12 to 15 inch storage cabinetry on the back wall with the fridge recessed into the storage area on the end near the dining room. That allows for at least a 42 inch deep island with 48 inch aisles. Sink on island with nice view and seating.

The second one may not work according to your architect, which is to bump the kitchen out 12 to 18 inches.

Carina Matthews thanked Karenseb
  • Carina Matthews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I feel that option 1 evolved through compromise (and everybody was losing). The original design had a narrow one sided center island with seating on the window side. Those sitting had their backs to the view and to make the working side viable the seating side was tight.

In 2D the table allowed seating on both sides but it wasn’t until I drew it in 3D that it was evident it wouldn’t work.

The Houzzer community is amazing and I am appreciative and humbled by your thoughtful input, opinions, and knowledge shared. I thank you all.

• just_janni
    4 years ago

Now you owe us some pics when it's done. ;[-)

• User
    4 years ago

Don't know if you are still soliciting comments, and I haven't read through all those already posted, but if the house is aimed at the 2d home Florida market, that suggests to me that retirees might be a big part of your target market.

If so, keep in mind that seating on stools is not comfortable for many older people, nor is traipsing food from a kitchen to a dining room for meals. Have a look at some photos for actual table or creative banquette options (which might include buidling one into a center island) that would take in the glorious views that owners are paying for and allow people to linger over meals.

Carina Matthews thanked User
  • emilyam819
    4 years ago

I like the L shape + table, but with a smaller table and fewer stools. No need for everyone to cram in the kitchen; they’ll all be outside.

Carina Matthews thanked emilyam819
  • apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Option 2 with the half wall of windows right down to the countertop will keep the view for everyone yet be comfortable to use.

Lookout Residence · More Info

• soto01
    4 years ago

Lucky you! Your house is beautiful! If it were mine, I would put a very long dining table behind that long sofa instead of that small round table. Then I would create a long island to leave the 4 feet of walk-through space needed in your kitchen. If possible, I would use the solid wall for tall cabinets to house all small appliances, pantry storage and counter depth refrigerator. On that island, I would put in the sink and 2 dishwashers, plus pull-out trash bin. You can see that gorgeous view while doing cleanup and food prep. In no way would I lose those floor to ceiling windows! Just my humble opinion, but in this case, form trumps function! But I feel the function is there in this plan. You will still have plenty of prep space on the island, plus there is some counter space on either side of the stove. But it would seem that that view is the reason you are building there. I wouldn't compromise on that.

Carina Matthews thanked soto01
  • Fahima Kalifi
    4 years ago

Nice

Carina Matthews thanked Fahima Kalifi
  • PRO
    Fusion Cabinets, Inc.
    4 years ago

Definitely option 1!

Carina Matthews thanked Fusion Cabinets, Inc.
  • ljfq
    4 years ago

I can't imagine trying to keep all that window glass clean, right on the ocean, but wow, what a nice problem to have.

Carina Matthews thanked ljfq
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

Option 2. Windows to counters. A peninsula is enough. I’d also have a long rectangular dining table. People will hang out there too given proximity to kitchen

Carina Matthews thanked Gcubed
  • Kristin S
    4 years ago

My favorite is karenseb’s option 1, with the narrow storage and island, and my second is your option 2, with the peninsula. Realistically, how often do people look out the very bottom of windows? And the mockup above shows it doesn’t have a huge impact on the exterior.

Carina Matthews thanked Kristin S
  • M L Radcliffe
    4 years ago

Option 1, the other option feels cramped to me

Carina Matthews thanked M L Radcliffe
  • stalo
    4 years ago

your buyers will be sold on the view and feeling. Not storage, especially if this would be a second home

Carina Matthews thanked stalo