Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fep100

Symmetry - glass shower door handle vs other shower fixtures

F P
4 years ago

The reason you invest in a custom designed glass shower door is so that it fits with the rest of the shower. Symmetry is an important part of the fitting process. The problem with this shower door handle (see picture) is that it is asymmetrical because it does not line up with the other features. What do you all think?

Comments (10)

• Mikki Bench
    4 years ago

The door's hinge-height can perhaps be changed. Difficult to tell where the fasteners to the wall are. , just remove and raise whole door up .Now I realize then theres a gap on the floor but that can be maneuvered with flextape turned into a little mudflap down there. Its my guess raising and tiling the drain sill will cost less than a new door.

• Valinta
    4 years ago

I’m sure the handle was placed where most people can comfortably access it. Lining up with towel bar would make it too high. Also, could compromise the integrity of the design for safety.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Actually the line should read ‘the reason you invest in a designer is for all the little things that need coordination’. Was a drawing done for both the plumber and shower glass supplier that shows precise alignment of these items? If not I’m sure this handle was placed per industry standards.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

And as a designer I’d argue that it’s perfectly fine as is - this handle falls within visual range of ALL the elements there - including the control valve. What would be strange is if this handle was placed in an ergonomically awkward location.

• Mark Brunner
    4 years ago

I’d be concerned about the door too close to the towel bar when opening.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Really? I have never had to make a decision about lining up a shower door with anything but function

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That looks perfectly fine, it is drilled, leave it alone. Move on, have turkey. ENJOY the bath, and the holiday. You are obsessing on a HUGE NOTHING.

If it that disturbing to you ? Trade the towel bar for more convenient hooks, or move the towel bar, or buy a free standing...or. I assure you, from the "angl;e" you are moaning about? Tis F.I.N.E

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"The door's hinge-height can perhaps be changed. Difficult to tell where the fasteners to the wall are. , just remove and raise whole door up .Now I realize then theres a gap on the floor but that can be maneuvered with flextape turned into a little mudflap down there. Its my guess raising and tiling the drain sill will cost less than a new door."

What?????

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    4 years ago

You are overthinking the aspect of symmetry, it does not mean that every element has to be aligned with every other element. The shower controls are aligned within their grouping and are independent of the door handle. The towel bar is not related to the door handle or the shower controls so it does not have to align with either. The style of your bathroom is more traditional, not modern/contemporary, too much symmetry might seem a bit off given the style.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH