Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maja_citrus

How to warm up a greenhouse with citrus trees?

M M
4 years ago

Hello guys, sorry in advance for a long post, but I need your help with some questions about citrus trees in the winter and warming up a greenhouse in the winter. Main problems and questions are in bold.

So, a month ago I transferred all my plants (citrus trees, raspberry and lemon seedlings, fig and peach tree) indoors in a greenhouse which has a big LED light above it so it can give light to plants, since we do not have a lot or any sunlight during winter in the room where the plastic greenhouse is set. Also, nowadays the temperatures are around 0-9 Celsius, and in next few days the temp is gonna drop around -3 Celsius (cca 20-40 Fahrenheit) during the night and day.

Last winter, the leaves of a citrus trees have fallen down, leaving a bare branch tree. Also, one citrus tree in the summer has new buds of leaves, but then all of a sudden those tiny leaves fall during the night and next morning (they cant sustain on a tree to give 3rd and 4th branches so that tree has not bloomed yet although it is 5 years old). Why? All trees above mentioned are in fresh and nutritious soil, and not root-bound. I fertilized them every 2 weeks (in the summer and spring), according to labels on liquid fertilizer, and every 3 weeks they receive a spray of sea algae for micronutrients. As for the winter period, they are given 3-month-fertilizer which has NPK and all macro and micronutrients. I do not use mulch (should I?).

So, I have them in a plastic greenhouse in a room which temperature is almost like the outside temperature (maybe few degrees more). Leaves of trees and seedling have fallen down because there was a big shock in temperatures outside (we had cca 25 Celsius, and then immediately 5-10 Celsius) and because there was not enough light (I have secured a big LED light for that last part). I am warming the soil twice or thrice a day with bottles with warm water and with winter covering + I have put sawdust in plastic bags and put the bags on top of the soil, but that is not still enough during the night and partly during the day. All Christmas light I have at home are LED which do not provide much heat, and I do not want to use the electricity heaters because I cannot watch out for them all the time + I dont want a bigger electricity bill at the end of the month. Is there any other way to warm up plants to dry the soil from watering and to warm up the whole greenhouse? The temperature should be around 10 Celsius, and the lemon and raspberry seedling are not holding very well (they dont grow anymore + the raspberry seedling leaves are turning brownish because the soil cannot dry completely).

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (18)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

1000 watt electric heater puts out the same heat as 1000 watts used in LED lighting. Go with the lights. At least they put out usable light that converts to heat when it hits the plant.

Steve

• HighColdDesert
    4 years ago

I think 1000W electric heater should put out a lot more heat than 1000W of LED lights. LED lights are famous for using most of their electricity for light rather than heat, unlike incandescent or CFL lights. They produce some heat, but should not be producing as much heat as the same wattage of heating element or non-LED lights.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

it depends on the amount of space you have to heat and how many flourescent bulbs you use. MY LED puts out no heat at all, but CFL and incandescent buls do and worth using if you are using a lot, but in the end I do not know which of the two depending on how many bulbs you use would use more electricity. You would have to give us an amount of how many so we can calculate.

• Ken B Zone 7
    4 years ago

How can you say that LED lights put out no heat at all? That is not true. They produce less heat than CFL and incandecent because they use less wattage to achieve the same lumens but they, like any device using electricity produce heat.

• M M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all for the comments :)

Sry, but I cannot put a 1000W heater, that is too much :/

I have a LED bulb which has 9W (=60W because is A+ on the energy meter, I guess), has a brightness of cca 800 lumens (LM) and its day white color (4000K).

The greenhouse measurements are approximate 1,3m x 2m x 1,8 m. I plan to have the light turn on for 3-4 hrs a day, because we will have sunny days (I am planing to put the trees and the greenhouse outside in March), so I do not need some spectacular, just to keep the warmth on the level of cca 5-10 Celsius inside the greenhouse. The bottles with warm water is actually working too, very well, but I dont think thats enough.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

4 LEDs of 6.5 watts each put out the same amount of heat as 2 CFL of 13 watts each as well as one 26 watt soldering iron. Heat is heat some of that heat will be in the visible light spectrum.

Steve

• eSilviu
    4 years ago

HighColdDesert :

1000W electric heater will produce 1000W of heat.

1000W (real electrical power, not equivalent value) LED lamp will produce about 900W heat and 100W light (since the LED bulb has around 10-12% efficiency)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Ken none of my LED lights are even warm to the touch, in fact cool. Maybe mine are a different type? NO clue. I know my CFL lights were so hot I could'nt unscrew them without waiting for a few minutes.

I am using the 48 inch long tubes with the equivilent of 32 watts, and no heat. The bulbs I use are 100 watt equivilent and I can unscrew those those afre they have been on for hours and they feel cool.

I wish I knew a type of LED tube that did give off heat and I would use those instead to give off some heat to help keep my sunroom warmer. I am not willing to rise the cost of my electric bill with regular flourescent ot CFL. Can anyone suggest LED that do give off heat to make a difference?

MIke)

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    4 years ago

eSilviu: 1000W (real electrical power, not equivalent value) LED lamp will
    produce about 900W heat and 100W light (since the LED bulb has around
    10-12% efficiency)

True to a point. But light is energy and so if it is not used by plants then it will convert to heat. All forms of energy will convert to heat since it is the most fundamental form of energy. Plants are notoriously inefficient at converting light to food. That is why they need such long hours of exposure to light. For all practical purposes 1000W of any light source is equal to 1000W of heat. That is how the physics works out.

• eSilviu
    4 years ago

tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA) :

you are right... I did not specified in what the 100W light energy will transform.

It will transform in whatever would 100W of light from any source (halogen, CFL, LED, sun) would transform (again mostly heat).

• apg4
    4 years ago

As a late add, I built my 'main' greenhouse just for my calamondin orange tree. It is now over 50 years old. It's bitter fruit makes for some mighty fine marmalade, while the peels can be soaked in grain alcohol. Reduced with simple syrup, it makes a superb arancello. Summertime in a glass.... Even though it occupies a place of sunny prominence in the greenhouse, even there, it looses a lot of leaves when brought inside for the winter.. Photoperiod also causes leaf drop.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    4 years ago

Put a fan in there that will help. All those other methods I wouldn't waste time with.

• M M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your advice :) May I just ask if putting a electric heater (which is put on the floor) which has cca 400 W of energy is a good idea with the citruses?

I had some problems with it (citrus trees) in the last few weeks - the end of the branches were turning black/brownish so I had to prune them. But, the soil was wet/moist for too long so it might be because of that and because I was heating the soil with bottles with warm water (which were cold by morning and had mist on the bottles which apparently damped the soil and air even more. I have repotted the citruses in dry soil and the brown branches are not appearing any longer.

I am no longer warming the soil with bottles because of that, but I am curious if the heater will cause any moisture problem inside the greenhouse? Is opening the greenhouse plastic door enough to let the moisture out of the greenhouse and let the fresh air in? I thought about warming the greenhouse with the heater for only half an hour, maybe one hour top once a day.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

A space heater would work but be careful of how you set it up. If anything, heat from that will dry the air out even more in your greenhouse like mines. Use fans as Matt suggested. That is a must for mine.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

I keep reading the title of this thread and hope someone comes up with the answer so I can put away my electric heater and let my citrus trees to provide their own necessary heat. If this works how will my trees know when they have enough heat so they don't cook them selves.

Steve