Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank_vinominer

36” counter depth gas range? bertazzoni, fisher paykel, other..?

Frank Schimel
4 years ago

I am looking for a 36” gas range that is counter depth (25”?) with sealed burners. I was considering a bertazzoni or fisher paykel 36” gas range. Comments I have read about the Bertazzoni oven floor curling leave me worried and perplexed (what does curling mean?). I would appreciate any advice. I have and like my Bertazzoni 36” gas cooktop. The output is perfect for me, does not require a massive vent, and the grates are light (which i prefer).

Comments (8)

• M
    4 years ago

All residential gas ranges should be "counter-depth". I have never heard of a model that isn't.

But most ranges need to stick out a little bit to give the oven sufficient clearance. The oven door must be fully in front of the face of adjacent cabinets. Otherwise, the heat from the oven will scorch your cabinets.

Plenty of offerings with sealed/capped burners. In fact, that's the rule rather than the exception. You could just play it safe and get a Wolf.

Open burners such as in the Bluestar tend to do a better job at avoiding excessive flare and have fewer hot spots. Also, I personally find that my Bluestar is a lot easier to clean than any capped gas range that I have ever used (and I have used a good number over the years). But I am not going to stop you from buying a different design.

As far as vents are concerned, all gas ranges need a big vent hood. This is particularly true, if you go for a 36" range. Just read one of the many very informative postings by @kaseki. If you want to make do with a smaller vent hood, you should really look at induction instead.

Frank Schimel thanked M
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a Bert it is 12 yrs old no issue with “curling” oven bottom not sure what that means actually

• Michael A
    4 years ago

The ranges were redesigned in 2018 and the oven is completely different now. I'm not sure how relevant the older reviews are any more.

See https://blog.designerappliances.com/new-bertazzoni-ranges/ for a review of the updated ranges. I noticed an error in the review, they said the Broiler is 15000 BTU, it's only 9000 BTU on the 30" & 48" and 11000 BTU on the 36".

The review does mention a studier range base and legs. So maybe the "curling" has been fixed.

I purchased the 30" Pro all gas range in November and am generally happy with it. I'm happy with the burners and the range is very easy to clean.

The only item of concern is the temperature control for the oven seems to be imprecise, it's either lower or higher that the temperature selected. I've adjusted the temperature on the oven a bit to try to compensate for this issue. It now seems to align at 350, if you select 350 on the control the temperature will come up to 350 on the gauge. But otherwise the control is either lower or higher than what you select, that is select 450 on the control and the temperature on gauge will go above 500 or so. As long as I can trust the temperature gauge, I can always just adjust the temperature up or down.

The temperature gauge is different than what is displayed on their website and I find it difficult to figure out what the temperature really is. I have this gauge below, notice the four lines between 250 & 350, yet there are five lines between 350 & 450. There is also a dot above 250 and 450, not sure what the dots mean. Maybe 450 is at the dot above the '4'? Since I don't bake, I don't really need a precise temperature, if I'm off by 20 degrees it shouldn't a big deal. The oven does seem to maintain the same temperature over time. The oven does seem to go below 250, maybe the low is around 220 and the high seems to be around 550 or so. It's kinda hard to really know with this gauge.

I'd much rather have this temperature gauge, which is so easy to read:

• Frank Schimel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you. reviews on that site do not look very helpful. but, love any updates on your new range.

• Frank Schimel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok. i am giving up and getting a blue star culinary series 36“ all gas. any recs for a rear venting exhaust hood that can be built in or otherwise look less commercial?

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@FrankSchimel - Good choice - Blue Star is a fine product.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There's perfection in GE MONOGRAM dual fuel. Absolute perfection. Go look. I mean in person.