Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris_bruesehoff

Do I want a repurposed workbench from Santa?

Kris Bruesehoff
4 years ago

Hubby and I both fell in love with a repurposed workbench we found at a local shop. I don’t have dimensions yet but we were thinking we could possibly use under our TV in our family room.

I didn’t take a picture of the it but it looks a lot like this photo.

Photos of the wall and room. Please excuse the dresser... we needed something there temporarily.

Comments (216)

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No? Maybe somewhere else?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Funny thing about the ladder is when I got it hubby said “ What are you going to do with that? “. (Insert eye roll) as he reluctantly threw it in the truck.

‘it’s been in three houses and served us well...

When I took it down last week he said.

‘Where did you put the ladder? I miss it. “.

ok So ladder is out and now we need something for the back wall by bar and behind pool table. Flo what do you think of mirrors like Claire suggested?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Claire

You asked about chairs to match the bar- yes we have matching stools ( but not as high as bar stools) or table height chairs.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I just ran across this and thought of your wall openings! How about putting TV in opening and it could swing to either room!! Be really cool. As to mirrors, I haven’t put mirrors in game rooms except behind bar areas with shelves. I would consider something like this type shelf for a snack and drink and a couple of your stools. Here’s another fun seat especially if you have teens. They love these hanging chairs.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Ooh, I like the unique idea of TV in cut-out space. Esp if it could swivel to serve pool area too. Then you have the wall by slider for the sofa , etc.

I also think the shelf and 2 stools on long wall by bar is clever-- definitely how most pool halls are. But again, a lot depends how you use the space and WHO uses the space. Would be so wonderful for teens, college kids coming home, your friends for game night, etc.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really like the second picture- next to slider by bump out. The tv in the cut out is brilliant. What would we do in second cut out to keep it balanced? Or would the door area balance that?

I have someone coming on Monday for ideas and estimates for possibilities.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I put a long 6" wide floating shelf in a game area for a client and put some mirrored glass trim above it for some sparkle and it was a big hit. Players can conveniently set a mug or glass down while they take their turn at the pool table, others can wait there. We put it the length of one side of the space about 11' long. That could work on that end wall. Maybe flank it with pool stick racks.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

If you have someone coming Monday, I would work with that person.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

i should clarify, the person coming is going to make suggestions for options on adding a fireplace for under the TV. Not a designer.

hubby really likes the idea of a fireplace here so we are looking into it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

A large part of designing is asking questions and coming up with a cohesive plan. You first should find an inspirational photo of what you envision your room to look like. A ski lodge? Something else?

Then, you need a floor plan.

Making decisions before those are in place is not a good idea and in the end, wastes $.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Claire, I kind of shared my frustrations with finding an inspiration photo earlier.... but I tried again and am going with this one.

I am not trying to replicate exactly but it does have colors similar to what I like (green, tan brown with blue accents). I like the mix of more transitional with rustic and the cozy feel... of course it is a different layout than what we have and our bar Is lighter wood etc.

I believe we are set on floor plan, and I do appreciate the suggestions to get us there.

The bigger items that I feel need to be addressed with the room are, TV wall, coffee table, lighting and window treatments ( as well as adding accessories and interest to wall behind the bar). Of these the potential biggest impact and largest expenditure will be the tv wall so that is where I think my main focus at this point should be. Am I on track with my thinking or am I missing things or totally off base?

Since Adding a fireplace would be in keeping with the cozy feeling we are going for, would impact the room (and the budget) the most, and would make my dear hubby the happiest... I feel that exploring the possibility of doing so makes sense at this point. Right?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Are you considering a wood burning fireplace? Or vent-less.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately we cant do a wood burning because behind this is our lower level patio with a deck above. So looking at other options...

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The room you posted is a lot less rustic than what you have described so far. That is why this step is so important. Also, adding the skis will look odd if you are not carrying that ski lodge theme throughout. Also, consider how they will feel in the summer.

Kris Bruesehoff thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am struggling with finding an inspiration picture because though I like aspects of them it has been hard to find a photo that captures what I like in a room that also incorporates our exsisting elements. I don’t want to replicate this photo.. but it does have a feel that I think is close to what I see as doable in our home.

I want to make improvements to this space...making it more comfortable and inviting, embracing the exsisting elements and fixing our biggest problems as described above. I do not want a ski lodge ( at least until we move to the mountains) but I’m fine with adding touches of our family sport IF appropriate.

How can I move forward with Improvements, particularly with the TV wall?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Best thing you can do is realize that you may not be able to use all or any of the existing decor items you have. The pieces of art you have are very light and breezy and have pink in them. (They are not altogether out, if you love them and are willing to spend $ to reframe). The skis really shout "ski lodge". The ladder is huge and doesn't fit anywhere.

That being said, I am guessing you have many more items that may work.

I'd start an ideabook with photos of rooms you like, marking under them what you like about each photo. You can search for fireplaces in particular.

From there, you can go ahead and make choices or hire a professional who will guide you through the choices.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I am totally not set on any of the accessories... would be great if they work but it’s always fun hunting for something new.

I have been searching for fireplace options and looking for input feedback etc as in this area professionals are scarce ... had someone ask if we were spending over 50,000. If answer was no they wouldn’t consider. So for this scope of this project it seems I should come up with what I want and hire a handyman.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am considering a linear inset Fireplace - so would need to build out the wall a few inches. depending on distance recommended from top of fireplace to the tv we would consider a mantle or surround ( not sure yet if it would match our trim, be stained to match fireplace or something more rustic). It seems these are very popular in modern homes.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The linear ventless is quite contemporary. How wide is wall you want the fireplace on?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wall is 100 inches between slider and window. Tv is 56 inches wide.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Suburban Comfort Homearama 2018 in Magnolia Green, VA · More Info

You can use a linear fireplace with any style. I would not use a boxy fireplace, as the tv will give too high. Do you want electric or gas? For gas, obviously, you'd have to run gas to it.

You might also consider an indoor/outdoor fireplace (more expensive though). If you have a local store who sells fireplaces, they can give you the name of someone who installs or will install for you. Some handymen would be qualified to do this, but I'd be careful to use just anyone.

I'd use a lighter toned repurposed type wood for the mantle and keep the top drywall.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Since you are building the wall out, you could do something very simple like this. You can keep it simple by using drywall on the entire fireplace....just add a simple mantle. Or, another way to highlight the fireplace area is to paint it a contrasting color.

Linear and Modern Fireplace Designs · More Info

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes this is what we were thinking. Our preference would be gas but it depends on how much it will be to do and how far It would impact the room.

Given the wall dimensions would you have bump out be the full width window to window? Or would you leave space on each side?

We do have a fireplace on the patio already so don’t think an indoor/ outdoor one is needed but would be a great idea.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd prefer some space.....but space is eaten up very quickly. Example: an 80" fireplace would look good under the tv. That leaves you with 5" on each side of the fp plus another 5" space between bumpout and window trim.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Have to say, 100” width with entry glass slider on one side is going to be limiting. The widest ventless (no gas) I would do is 72” and it would need 7-10” depth (depending on model fireplace chosen. So, then you have to build out framing etc etc. there are models that mount on wall but your outlet has to be properly located to operate the fireplace. All the linear options are modern and your furniture and home is more traditional. Make sure you really understand this before you take it on.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Flo. We do have electricity there so that wouldn’t be a problem. I’m concerned that I don’t want to high so that it is safe for the TV. Do you think a fireplace the same width as the TV would work? That would give the most wall space on either side.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

It would look best with fireplace wider than TV. If you use any “fireplace” that emits heat, you need at least 18” from top of fireplace to bottom of mantel or TV. The key thing here is to do careful measurements for everything. Determine fireplace first, then styling around it and mantel if desired. Leave a min of 6” clear on each side of design. You need different wall products depending on fireplace you select. Go to my profile page and you can see a project I completed last year using a ventless fireplace. It is really cool looking. We combined some traditional and some contemporary elements in their family room/dining room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here are a couple photos from L&W Home.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

As Flo mentioned, there is a lot to consider here. You will need to do all of your research, then consult with a contractor.

The fireplace ideally should be wider than the tv.

The jury is still out on ventless fireplaces, as to whether or not they are a health hazard.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I am looking at a fireplace that is 60 x 21x 5 1/4 d. I think I’ll tape out that measurement and see where that puts the tv. my Biggest concern is depth- but I think I could do a

mantle and still not impact the room as much as the dresser currently does.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm further behind than when I started.... bid for fireplace was not what I had hoped so still not sure how to make that wall nice. . in the mean time hubby patched and tried to repaint where we removed things from the walls and the paint that was left doesn't match.... so we are looking at repainting. would you go similar color or lighter green or more neutral? it needs to work with carpet, pool table and bar as well as the exsisting couch.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Oh boy. This is great opportunity!! Sorry about fireplace bid. I am not surprised. Probably a blessing in disguise. I will see what might work. Are you leaning in a particular direction? A deeper blue would work beautifully with the bar and carpet and sofa. Sage green is kind of go to color with oak honey woods. I will look at your room photos later today and see what comes up.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Flo.. I am leaning towards pulling my hair out...but as to color I don't have anything yet. I do like lighter colors since windows are only on the one side. We have lots of navy upstairs. We do like blues and greens.

on a furniture note.... I do have a black sofa table and square coffee table and end table. Thinking if we went with neutral walls then maybe this would be an option here? it might solve my dilemma of what works with the wood on the bar and the painted trim in the room. Then I would need a tv console . What do you think?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I would keep your wall color very light. It will brighten things up in there. What is the existing paint color?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CDR- I don’t know the name of the color as it was what was here when we bought the house... tried to match it to patch the walls when we removed hanging items and match is not right. It’s a custom medium grey green.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Buy a few light weight pieces of drywall. Look at paints with a light reflective value 60 or above. Choose 3. Paint the samples. Go from there.

I recommend choosing paint colors as the last thing to do in the room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Ok. When you can, get paint chips not sample paint yet. Sherwin Williams has only call in and curb pick up here. Ask them for a chip of all their Whites and Lights colors. There are about 20 of those. They have a take away brochure of “Whites and Lights”. See if you can get one of those. BM and Home Depo do too. I would also get Pale Oak, and Rhinestone. Pale Oak is light sand/gray color and Rhinestone has very slight blue tone off white. I would also get Naval. I think we could put some dark blue accents next somewhere to tone down that bar color. In this time of virus I would order 3-4 samples from samplize.com rather than going out.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I happen to have a lot of the white samples from planning for other areas. And Navy from painting our library. Unfortunately don't have Pale Oak ofmRhinestone but can try and get tomorrow

I do have a Behr and Dutch boy samples so I can see if there is anything similar to give me an idea.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Of the chips I have here... I like Natural choice and accessible beige Any thoughts On either of these colors?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Those both are nice but have more color than you might want. Either go much lighter or try a wall of it and see how it works. I have used both several times and either can work.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i Finally got my hands on a Sherwin Williams paint deck... and still totally confused. Open for suggestions.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would go lighter than either of those colors. Look at the Light and White section of the paint deck and see what appeals to you with your woods and furniture and carpet. Pick 3-4, get samples and test in your light.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

another question... since our ceilings aren’t high on this level, would you paint them a ceiling white? Same color as the walls or a shade lighter than walls

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Kind of personal preference. Do you have Crown molding? It is easier to paint ceiling same color as walls and I personally do it. If you go with lighter color I think you will like all one color.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We don’t have crown molding... we do have textured walls so I’m thinking it might look cleaner if all the same or very similar. on the other hand if it’s a warm color will it feel too closed in?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Again, go very light. If you want to paint the ceilings, if the paint is 90 or higher lrv you can simply use the same tone on the ceiling. If darker, then ask them to cut the paint 50% and paint the ceiling at that 50% color.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I picked up samples for Alabaster and creamy white. They both feel very light. I am already planning to have our whole main floor painted in a creamy white and now think that having this floor white as well might be too much the same. Thinking maybe I should go back to a green but just a lighter version? I am also thinking I need to come up with the main floor colors first so that it is all cohesive.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the 4 colors... not sure any of them are quite right. Any opinions or advice appreciated!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Please don't paint the colors on the wall. Paint on pieces of drywall. 2nd from right looks best to me.

• Kris Bruesehoff
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update.

Family vetoed going with a bright white. I put white upstairs and everyone but me wanted a color. Found that the old color was pewter tankard And new color is jogging path. It comes off more green than grey in the room, is much lighter, looks nice with bar and ok with exsisting carpet. Now that I’ve lived with it ( constantly it seems) for the last 10 months I’m liking the color.

Still no decision on the wall Between the windows....