Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floresartscape

Drought Tolerant Landscape & Driveway

Flores Artscape
4 years ago

Wanted to share this completed landscape - mixed textures can create more interest in drought-tolerant landscaping. River rocks, concrete, pavers, gorilla hair and decomposed granite can all be combined to create a diverse and multi-colored landscape!

What are some of your favorite drought-tolerant designs? Have you thought about moving past decomposed granite into a more detailed design?

Comments (8)

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Living in SoCal I’m looking at drought resistant all the time. Problem is that a year or two later weeds are growing and wind debris has settled and succulents have grown unruly. It’s a high maintenance landscape and with all the rocks, etc... it never cools down. Impossible to find a maintenance crew that knows how to preserve it. Labor of love only for the homeowner who in personally invested.

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Re-doing part of our front yard over the past few months, to drought-tolerant with more of a Mediterranean feel, no succulents (just not my thing, at least in the front yard). For a front yard, I am not crazy about the sparse plantings, without rhythm or seeming purposeful placement. But if you designed this yard, I'm sure it meets the local requirements for drought tolerant.

I like a bit of a hedge or edge of property defining feature myself, and some shade somewhere (think I do see some shade there on the left side--must be a tree nearby?). I haven't thought about "moving past decomposed granite" because I never thought to include that in my front yard in the first place. I'm sure it has its place.

• Jilly
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Very nice!

I love rocks/stone. But I think people totally new to landscaping might think it’s easier care than plants, wood mulch, etc ... it isn’t. In fact, I spend more time by far cleaning out my very small areas of river rock and pea gravel than any other bed. The stones are like Velcro, catching every leaf, grass clipping, etc blowing in the wind and not wanting to release them. :D It’s not fun pulling weeds and errant grass out between rocks, either.

As Anne said, it’s a labor of love and I don’t mind it — but I warn newbies about it any chance I get!

Regarding plants, I’m in Texas so definitely focus most on the drought-tolerant, can-handle-brutal-sun ones. I prefer a more lush look than desert-y one, and there are numerous ways to accomplish that.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Very good points, Jinx! And there are many ways to accomplish a very lush looking xeriscape or drought tolerant garden without having to resort only to succulents and other desert-looking plants. You just need the assistance of a designer or horticulturist familiar with what grows well in your area that has these characteristics. There are scores of plants that could work.

• lgteacher
    4 years ago

Not professionally designed, but I always have something blooming which attracts birds and butterflies. All low water use. (Tree in front was planted by the city.)

• PRO
    Flores Artscape
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Igteacher that looks great!

Jinx, Mrs. S and Anne, so sorry that has been your experience! Properly installed gravel/river rocks are laid on top of a weed fabric or other barrier that serves to block and cut down on weed growth. Rocks laid down directly on soil will have extreme weed growth very quickly and can be a pain to keep looking nice.

Any landscape is going to require SOME maintenance. But proper installation can help mitigate extensive maintenance, as no one wants to deal with constant maintenance in a busy life.

As Gardengal and Jinx said, there's numerous options for plant selections that can look luscious without requiring tropical rainfall.

Thank you all for checking out this thread!

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Weed fabric, LOL

• PRO
    Flores Artscape
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks CoolAir Inc! We enjoyed working with the homeowners on this one!