Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_825799065

New construction windows for Florida panhandle

Diane N
4 years ago

We are building in the Florida panhandle and I am looking for help picking out Windows. From what I read, vinyl is a good choice for this area, but when I look at brands, it gets confusing. I am looking for a quality product at a good value. It seems that there are horror stories about all but the most expensive brands. I plan to get quotes on PGT and Anderson windows. Does anyone have recent experience with these? Any other brands I should consider that won't break the bank?

Comments (18)

• Jazz Lover
    4 years ago

We went with PGT WinGaurd and are so happy with them. Definitely not inexpensive but I think for what we got they were a great value. Definitely use a certified PGT installer as they are a bit complicated.(we found out the hard way!) Compared to our last house, they are leaps and bounds better just by feel alone. We went with these since they are wind rated and we are in a Hurricane zone. Windows were the hardest part of all the research I did! Made my brain hurt with all the numbers and letters that go into window ratings. Good Luck

• latifolia
    4 years ago

In the wake of Irma, we put PGT WinGuard sliders in. Very nice, but, as noted, quite complicated.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

What style windows (ie: double hung, casements, sliders, etc)? Impact rated is a requirement I presume? What do you want the exterior finish to be? Interior finish? Style of house? How many windows? Approximately budget?

• Diane N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We are looking at double hung. Impact rating is not a requirement. I am looking at the cost of a regular window with aluminum shutters vs an impact resistant window and will see how that comes out. It is a craftsman style home with 13 windows. I will be working on a window budget with the builder, but don't have one yet.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

PGT is the big name if the Fla. region for impact rated. I would see what ind of pricing they offer for your non-impact windows. Be careful with builders and budgets they often are not "accurate".

Diane N thanked millworkman
  • chispa
    4 years ago

If you want "prettier" windows that are impact rated, you can look at Windsor and Marvin. They will be more than PGT.

• Denita
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just a quick question, why are you considering anything other than impact windows?

I'm not in window sales, but it seems to me the time to put them in is when you are building. I'm just trying to understand. I'm in S Fl and the two largest factors for windstorm premiums on homeowners insurance is your protected openings (doors and windows) and the roof. Naturally the first five years of a new home is the least expensive for HOI, then the premiums increase dramatically thereafter IME here in FL without those windstorm protections.

Diane N thanked Denita
  • millworkman
    4 years ago

Personally Windsor would never show up on a recommended list from me or any pro I know of.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Millworkman, what is the issue with Windsor?

I saw them at a reputable window/door company and sold as an option above PGT and below Marvin. They sold a few other brands, but I would have to go find my notes.

What is your experience with Windsor and why would you never use them?

Diane N thanked chispa
  • millworkman
    4 years ago

Customer service was lacking, fit and finish was mediocre, performance below average (even for a wood window).

• chispa
    4 years ago

Millworkman, thanks. I did some more googling on several window manufacturers and I can find bad reviews for all, even a lawsuit for Marvin, who most seem to love, so it seems there is no perfect window manufacturer!

Diane N thanked chispa
  • millworkman
    4 years ago

While I agree they have all had issues, Marvin has a much better track record of handling issues, including own up to the wood preservative issue and making good on it when they could have done what many have and not done anything as the issue was the preservative manufacturer not Marvin. They could have left it for Wood Life to make good on, but they did not. Typically they do not nor have had in the past the customer service nor fit and finish issues that Windsor has. I have sold Windsor and seen there product and lack of customer service first hand.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Thanks millworkman, good points to consider.

Diane N thanked chispa
  • Diane N
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cpartist, I certainly hope to get the impact resistant windows, but I am trying to be hurricane ready at the most reasonable cost. The neighbor right next to me just finished building and chose the regular windows, because the impact resistant had a 2.5X price premium. That's why I'm comparing the price of Impact Resistant to the price of Regular Windows + hurricane shutters. I appreciate all of the helpful advice!

• chispa
    4 years ago

The hurricane glass is also a good deterrent for break-ins and makes it much harder for a crook to smash the glass on a patio slider or a window facing the backyard. I wonder if it gives you an additional discount on your insurance for theft deterrence?

Most of the break-ins in my area of LA are through a smashed rear patio door. Would love to see the look on the faces of LA crooks if they came across hurricane proof glass! That would be a good video!

Diane N thanked chispa
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Cpartist, I certainly hope to get the impact resistant windows, but I am trying to be hurricane ready at the most reasonable cost. The neighbor right next to me just finished building and chose the regular windows, because the impact resistant had a 2.5X price premium. That's why I'm comparing the price of Impact Resistant to the price of Regular Windows + hurricane shutters. I appreciate all of the helpful advice!

Never skimp on the bones of the house and that includes windows.

Diane N thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    Windsor Windows & Doors
    4 years ago

@Diane N and @chispa - In Windsor's defense, I would like to point out that Millworkman's experience with Windsor is from many years ago, by his own admission in a separate post on Houzz. Since that time, Windsor has made significant improvements in product engineering and customer service. We strive to be easy to do business with and ensure the homeowner is happy. There are many builders, contractors, and homeowners out there who have used Windsor and have praised our products. While Millworkman is very knowledgeable about the construction industry, I would encourage you to not let one man's opinion speak for all.

https://www.windsorquality.com/

https://www.instagram.com/windsor_windows/