Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank_vinominer

Please help with kitchen lighting dilemma. concrete beam.

Frank Schimel
4 years ago

I would greatly appreciate any lighting suggestions for my kitchen renovation. It is in an nyc building and I would like advice for the "work" area (island, entrance, ...) of the kitchen. I plan on LED under counter lights on sink facing wall, and lights in cabinet mounted vent above the range. I have a ceiling fixture near the entrance that can be used for a ceiling flush mount nearby (on same side of beam). Anything on the other side of the large beam in the middle of the island would require fir out the ceiling, which I want to minimize. All I can think of is a flush mount near the entrance fixture (not shown in drawings) and a white minimal track parallel to and on other side of beam (fir out where beam meets ceiling and get electric from wall), and a corner wall light by the pantry. (I already have a ceiling fixture that I am keeping on the dining side of the kitchen.) Please help. And, ignore, as best you can, the pendants that the architect drew in (the middle on is not even possible, unless I were to fir out the low hanging beam. Ceilings are max 9' tall.

lighting in kitchen · More Info

lighting in kitchen · More Info

Comments (10)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

You can run Rail lighting, a long way from one powerpoint especially since LED will keep wattage down, you can also remote the transformer for low voltage in a closet, an have the rail start from a wall power point... Do a 2 curiut rail so you and choose 2 light settings. ... this can work but I am really not clear from your explanation, bc the entry looks far from the kitche on the plan....... or do you mean the entry to the actual kitchen.. I can help you with this but I need to be more clear on where power can come from and where you want/ need light.

• Frank Schimel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I mean the entrance to the kitchen area (between the island and fridge) - there is a flush mount there now and a new one can be placed near there in its stead. On the other side of the beam, the electric would come from the wall and accross a lowered portion between the beam and ceiling (here is where i was considering 120v les track the same color as the ceiling. There is also a ceiling light centered over the open dining area of the kitchen that i am keeping with 6 bulbs).

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Is this the area in question?

• Frank Schimel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mostly yes. but the lighting could extend as far as the fridge, the range, and the pantry wall.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

So where is the power source? I only need one.

And are you talking about running with this beam?

• Frank Schimel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The red line you drew is the ceiling. The beam i mention is the large center low hanging beam over the middle of the island, with the center pendant shown that will/ can/ should not be there. There is already power to the right of that beam (between the island and the sink). But, on the other side of that beam, the power has to come from the wall (up the wall and accross the ceiling (I am suggesting firing out where that beam meets the ceiling.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

ok so just use the power source that is between the island and sink, you dont need to drag power up to run a U or L shaped thack/rail, Im not sure you need pendants anywere...... how far does the beam hang down? I cant make out that measurement.

Or you can combine to L shape to make a square using 2 power sorces.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

• Frank Schimel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

power From the sink side would require going over the beam (already lowers ceiling over a foot? Thinking of skipping tracks. area that I am trying to light (this is the "work area of a kitchen, will also have under cabinet lighting, and opens up to a 12' x 10' area, which is separated by a beam) 12' x 9' It seems like a flush mounted led fixture without opaque sides may work beat and would allow more light (through the bottom and sides).

Like this https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=804626&cat_id=9

That being said, oval or horizontal may be better but I see few online. maybe two round or square led lights

Any additional ceiling lights on the other side of the large beam would require fir out the ceiling, which I want to avoid, so on the other side i plan to keep the ceiling fixture that is centered there (which has 5 75 watt incandescent bulbs) and add a wall sconce above the pantry on the right facing wall. Ceilings are max 9' tall.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio