Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schrodingerscat

Saltillo tile floor? Solutions, short of jackhammering it out?

schrodingerscat
4 years ago

We have Saltillo floor tiles (~12x12") in our downstairs multi-purpose room (~14x24'). The french doors open from this room onto a Saltillo tile patio. We've dealt with the incremental cracks in a few of the tiles by covering them with oriental rugs. Two major problems: dirt/mud/straw tracked in daily, and the room's chilliness during the winter due to the hard tile surface . I'd like to cover the Saltillo tile with another durable, washable surface material. Is it at all possible to install ("float") engineered flooring over the Saltillo tile? Open to any other creative solutions, thanks in advance for your ideas!

Comments (11)

• schrodingerscat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, chispa, appreciate your input. Actually, we will eventually jackhammer this ugly tile out, fir out, and lay a proper plywood subfloor over the slab. We'll do this when we replace the circa 1960's windows and french doors, total gut. (Waiting on current projects to be completed.) Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original post: I'm looking for more of a temporary solution. I welcome any and all creative fix-it ideas from all the talented Houzzers out there.

• barncatz
    4 years ago

Flor carpet tiles?

schrodingerscat thanked barncatz
  • schrodingerscat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, barncatz, (like your name!) that's an interesting idea--from what I understand, 'carpet tiles' would not be difficult to remove, eventually. I had been thinking to put down decent-grade carpet padding, and then to run commercial, low-nap carpet over that padding. Hubs has berber carpet in his downstairs office, and it has worn "like iron."

p.s. I hope I didn't offend anyone who appreciates Saltillo tiles--when the tiles were first installed, I'm sure they looked good. The sad truth is, the cracks in our tiles have propagated due to earthquakes over the last sixty years, and it'll be expensive to repair such a large area.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

A temporary washable floor = POLISHED Saltillo tiles. Yes. If you wax these babies like they are supposed to be waxed, you would have a great floor that is impervious to dirt/mud/dust. They would be SUPER simple to wipe up.

If the tiles are NOT sealed, then they return back to their 'mud brick' status. They are rough and thirsty. They are deathly difficult to keep clean.

So the EASIEST option for you: Wax/polish the existing tiles so they are impervious to water and keep going. The earthquake related cracks will be permanent (and probably continue down through your slab). There's nothing you can do about that.

Polish your tiles like they are supposed to be polished (sounds like they have been without their maintenance for many many many years). They will give you the surface you want until you get to your gut renovation.

schrodingerscat thanked SJ McCarthy
  • Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I think you just need big rugs over it. That's temporary, and would warm it up.

Why is dirt/mud/straw being tracked in daily? People should remove dirty shoes when they enter the house. I like the inexpensive waterproof mats from Costco, just inside the door.

schrodingerscat thanked Mrs. S
  • apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Two options: First, get the tile professionally cleaned and sealed. Pro tile cleaners have equipment and expertise that can work wonders. They may be able to patch the earthquake cracks (until the next earthquake) with epoxy and color-matched paint. Second, consider getting a custom cut and bound rug made from a standard 12 foot wide wall to wall carpet roll to cover most of the 14 by 24 foot floor. It will need a pad- the local carpet shop will recommend the right kind. You will be able to send it out for cleaning.

schrodingerscat thanked apple_pie_order
  • schrodingerscat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, SJ McCarthy. Actually the tiles are sealed. Right now I have 75% of the floor covered with oriental rugs. The remaining 25% surface area is bare tiles which form a diagonal path from the french doors to the office door. I deliberately left this 'pathway' bare of rugs and it is cleaned easily with a damp mop.

And yes, Mrs. S, most of the time people do take their boots off when they come up from the corrals. Just sometimes it's raining..and they really need to use the bathroom..and you know... they think if they run fast enough maybe their feet won't touch the ground! The big rugs cover most of the room, so it's comfortable for walking about in just your socks. The room is very informal, I've got slipcovers on the big, comfy chairs so the guys can just sit down in their jeans and have their hot coffee to warm up.

• schrodingerscat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, apple_pie_order! You just fine-tuned the carpet solution! Your idea takes out the negatives of wall to wall carpet (ie, the usual tack strips around the perimeter, etc.), and we'd be able to take the carpet out of the room for professional cleaning as necessary.

• julieste
    4 years ago

I really like the look of saltillo and was contemplating installing them in 2 formerly exposed to the outdoors lanais that are now a part of the interior space. These wouldn't see much traffic at all, but it still sounds as though upkeep and maintenance is a PIA. Or, is this a simple matter of just regularly brushing on a cot of sealer?

schrodingerscat thanked julieste
  • schrodingerscat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Julieste, I think that Saltillo tiles are an elegant choice if you favor Mediterranean decor. I've seen them used in some of the older mansions in the Hollywood Hills, and in a few homes here on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. They are artistic looking and up-keep and maintenance are not a PIA.

So, they've got some positives going for them. That said, I'd like to share a few observations from our experience: 1) You must have an absolutely level base to build upon (concrete slab would be optimal), 2) the tiles themselves are naturally irregular and of uneven thickness=your installer (or yourself) must take care so that no tile 'dips' or sinks down at the corner(s), and 3) these tiles are set with a fairly wide grout line. The grout catches dirt, fur, et al. Not a huge prob..a stiff broom or vacuum cleans it up easily. The sealed tiles' surface cleans up nicely with a damp mop, so not a PIA. The sealed surface lasts for years on an inside installation which does not see heavy traffic or abuse (ie, no patio furniture dragged across surface.) I do admire Saltillo floors that were laid precisely, especially those with 'insets' of cobalt or accent tiles. Unfortunately, whoever laid our tiles in the '60's did a half-a$$ job, and that is the main reason I dislike the ones we have. Oh, one more thought-if you place fairly thin area rugs over these tiles, after a while the rugs will conform to the profile of the tiles underneath (not a problem unless you don't like the waffle iron look.;) Say, if you do go ahead with them, share a picture with us!