Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seed290

Bathroom/laundry off kitchen?

Poplar and Fig
4 years ago

Hi all - I am working on a home reno with a few of my clients who are wanting to close off a hallway and have the current powder room + hall laundry sectioned off to where the only access is through the kitchen. Currently both are in a tiny hallway between the kitchen and the “bonus” room (see photos). They are wanting to turn that extra room into an office that could also serve as a 4th bedroom (it is right off of the living room which makes it a little less desirable- house is small ~1500 sq ft and all bedrooms are on the opposite side of the house). They won’t gain a ton of usable wall space in the kitchen since they are wanting a pocket door put in to section off the powder room and laundry area. It feels odd to me to walk through the kitchen simply to go to the bathroom as opposed to flipping the access to be from the extra room. I’m also hesitant in general because the house is quite small and I feel like adding a wall would create additional choppiness instead of allowing a nice walkway between rooms. I’m hoping to get others thoughts out there. I am just starting with interior design and have only been doing this for about a year now. Of note kitchen will be gutted, house has just been painted in BM Classic Grey. I have suggested a small island due to a large open floor in the middle of the kitchen but they aren’t really drawn to that idea. Any guidance from professionals would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Poplar and Fig
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m not sure I understand what crown sourcing is? My understanding of Houzz is that there are a lot of helpful people on here.... is that not the case? Just looking for some advice, not trying to ruffle any feathers

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    4 years ago

Have you communicated these design concerns to your client? With your background and training it seems like you should be able to list some factual reasons why what they want to do might not be ideal.

What other ideas have you developed for improving access to the powder room/laundry room while still giving them their office/spare room?

if your clients don't want the island, is there an alternative arrangement that can make better use of the space as well as improve the laundry/powder situation?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I agree with your clients about the island. If the scale of your drawing is correct, the red lines are m/l 48", which is the NKBA recommended width for a work aisle. The green lines are m/l 42", which is the recommended minimum. A mobile cart might be a better idea.

If the office will become a bedroom, I'd think that having a door to the laundry and powder room would be a plus.

• PRO
    Poplar and Fig
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both for your insight, I really appreciate it! Thank you for your thoughts on the island mama goose - I have thought the same thing about having a mobile cart or something similar, your diagram is really helpful. We have just started this discussion today about the possibility of a new layout, I wanted to think about it some and collect my thoughts before throwing other ideas around. The struggle with the house is that the wall between the dining/living area and the kitchen/hall is the electrical and plumbing that exists there. That wall houses the water heater with gas lines and the breaker box. As much as I would like to rework the layout to make the laundry/bathroom flow better it would be pretty cost prohibitive for them. Just thinking about both of your comments has given me some other ideas though so thank you very much!!

• weedmeister
    4 years ago

crown = crowd. As in , crowd sourcing.

• Pam A
    4 years ago

If the small room does become a bedroom, are you adding a closet?

I think the client's idea of a pocket door leading to a swing door increases the perception of space between the kitchen and powder room. It makes it so there is a half bath off the laundry room, not directly off the kitchen. I know, it is SO close but in small homes you make tradeoffs.

If the bathroom access was off the bedroom then I would struggle to consider that a real bedroom. Located off to the side of the rest of the family, that bedroom would be good for a college student living at home or an older (responsible) teen to be away from younger siblings. But in neither case would I want to tell visitors that the powder room is "just thru Taylor's bedroom over there." Also, having that door closed up gives more options for when you want to place furniture in the room, a bed could go on either of 2 walls.

I am not a designer, just a home owner/remodeler.

• PRO
    Poplar and Fig
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love your thoughts, Pam, thank you! Yes we would be doing some sort of a closet if we went this route. That’s a great point about having someone go through a bedroom to get to the bathroom. You are absolutely right about trade offs in a small home. We are starting to consider adding a small shower but aren’t sure about that yet. There is another full bath off the hallway closer to the front entrance which could also serve as the bathroom for guests. I really appreciate everyone’s insight. Thank you!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

IMO a PR off a guest bedroom is not ideal since when you have other guests they would need to go through the guest room to the bathroom. Could you post a floor plan of the whole house maybe there are other solutions. I don’t mind helping another designer but when you post a floor plan make sure it is to scale and all measurements marked clearly .I never like PR off kitchens or combined with the laundry room so try very hard to not do that.

• R M
    4 years ago

I wouldn’t care to have guests going through my laundry room to the powder room.
    Why not change the door to the other side of the PW.

• motupeg
    4 years ago

Sarah, I am sorry you work to as you were by mwm right off the bat this morning. In my field as a psychologist, we consult with each other all of the time. It is expected. Glad you posted and I hope you continue to grow in your field as a designer.

• motupeg
    4 years ago

Oh, spell check got me. Sorry your post was criticized..

• PRO
    Poplar and Fig
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I appreciate that, motupeg! I agree with you - I am in the medical profession as well and I would never dream on making a clinical decision on one of my patients in an area I was unsure on without consulting my colleagues. I’m just getting started in home design (and love it) but definitely have a lot to learn. Thank you for the encouragement! :-)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

Since there is another bathroom convenient to the office/future bedroom, then close in the door. In the laundry/PR, install a folding door, so guests do not see the laundry. Laundry has its own door, bathroom has its own door, no one can see toilet from the kitchen.

BTW, you might consider changing the swing on the PR door, so a guest won't have to crowd against the toilet to open or close the door.

• Lidia
    4 years ago

So the Southern Living Home home of the year had a P.R. and LR right off the kitchen, think is was 2015. Anyone who doesn’t prefer a P.R. off a kitchen has never really cooked...or cooked well. Anywho...you do you and create what works for you. I love pocket doors and when my architect kept removing it and placing a typical door (which they charged me their time for that) I kept changing it to pocket door, and they charged me for that time again, that was the last straw and I fired them. I dont care if Ms Architect or designer wants this or that in my house...it’s my house and they don’t have to visit if they don’t like it. If that Rea is for your personal use, add the P.R. and pocket door and add a pocket door from the kitchen proper. Have the the bifold doors in the laundry section closer to the appliance and create a drop down shelf perpendicular for folding...it may also be a nice staging countertop for dinner party clean/dirty dishes.

• Lidia
    4 years ago

I’d also recommend switching your sink/stove locations. So you will have a fridge-sink-stove line up and the stove closer to your patio. But that’s just me and how I’d use your space.

• darbuka
    4 years ago

Our laundry/mud room is off the kitchen. One walks along one wall, in front of the pantry cabs, to get there. At the far end of the laundry/mud room, is the half bathroom. The laundry/mud room is clean and orderly. It has IKEA cabinetry for storage, and a granite counter for folding.

The room was renovated at the same time as the kitchen. Nobody minds going through there, to get to the powder room...which was also renovated. It’s the perfect setup, IMO. The bathroom is near the kitchen, but far enough away, so as to be quiet, and not obvious. Its also convenient for anyone coming in from the garage.