Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lapetitemel19

help I hate the color of these schluter and huge gap at wall

lapetitemel19
4 years ago

Hi!
So my understanding is that the schluter to be used were to have very minimal show. And would be mate white. Well They are big and shiny white. That is all I can see against my mate tiles. I have tried for days and days to get over it but I can’t.

Options:

1. Change them for an other color. I have satin silver in hand, so it would be ready to go.

2. I could order mate white ones but that means delays and would it match my tiles enough to blend in?

3. Could I have my pro painter paint them?!?

He might say that he can do it, but I would like to hear if it’s a bad idea . I would paint the ones at the wall and around the window in the shower. The niche surrounding will be replaced by marble tile.

I would prefer 3 if it’s possible and durable enough.

And what about that huge gap where the tile ends?! They assured me that it’s fine, they will put some cement or mud or something and finish the gap like a wall. Is this kind of gap common?

Comments (13)

• K R
    4 years ago

Matching whites is hard...I’d

• K R
    4 years ago

*go with silver or chrome.

• H B
    4 years ago

I think Schluter edge has a flange set underneath the tile edge, options 1 and 2 may cause damage to the waterproofing to remove and replace.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

What did they use for waterproofing?

• lapetitemel19
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mud is the waterproofing

• hcbm
    4 years ago

Mud is not water proofing. It can and will absorb water. Sorry, I hope an expert jumps in.

• lapetitemel19
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry @hcbm it was hot mopped. been learning too many new terms haha

• Sammy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I think if you look at the manufacturer’s installation instructions for your wall tile you’ll find some inconsistencies between how they were supposed to be installed and the way they actually were installed. Do you have the brand and the model information? Do you know what adhesive was used?

• eeclean
    4 years ago

the reason I am not using schluter trim is no matter what color/style, it still looks like a picture frame around everything with too much contrast. too bad you didn't ask for mitered tile corners with a minimal gap for continuous grout lines/color. you could try using a matte finish spray paint to tone the glossy, but in wet area might not be permanent solution? maybe a paint deglosser will etch the finish to a dull matte. As for the tile sticking off wall, to get the tiles flush on a wall that may not have been plumb ( level vertically) they had to keep building up morter for tiles to be flush. not optimal, but it happens. I do hope there is waterproofing on walls. hot mop is only the floor. drywall, cement board or anything else behind tile without waterproofing membrane will still leach moisture through grout lines and rot wood structure beneath!

• catbuilder
    4 years ago

Hot mopping is for the shower pan. The walls still need to be waterproofed.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

Mint you read my mind. I think we can clearly see the answer to the required 95% coverage.

If spot bonding was done rip the entire thing apart now.

In progress photos?

• lapetitemel19
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s waterproofed. I’m sorry I don’t remember the term.