Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_c111

Exterior heatpump unit randomly shuts off

John C
4 years ago

I had this issue with my previous old unit and this one that was installed approx 3 years ago.

This is a heatpump system and I have the issue in heat or cool mode and have replaced the thermostat.

Randomly the outside unit will not power on (or shuts off while running, not sure which). I discover the issue because the fan is running without it getting any warmer (in winter) or cooler (in summer). I have 2 double breakers for the system and neither will be tripped. I can turn off the thermostat and both breakers for a couple mins, then turn them both back on and set the thermostat and it works again.

Some research I have done may indicate I need a hard start capacitor. Or, that the the system may be overheating due to not enough airflow due to closed off vents etc.

I do have a couple vents closed off but seem to have a lot of airflow through the many other vents I have. Filter is changed regularly. One other thing of note is that my house is about 40 years old and on a slab. One company that I got a quote for when replacing the unit mentioned that they may need to run new tubing through the attic as the tubing going through the slab is too small for a modern system. The company that ended up replacing it didn't think it was an issue but did have to use a reducer on the lines.

So, I am thinking of replacing the breakers for good measure and then consider a hard start cap (they are cheap enough). Other than that, any suggestions on what the cause is or how to try to track down the cause?

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz