Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitlin_linhardt

Accent wall or all four walls?!

Caitlin Linhardt
4 years ago

Hi amazing Houzz community! I want to makeover our master bedroom and am having trouble deciding if we should:

1. Paint the an accent wall on the wall with two windows

2. Paint an accent wall on the wall behind the bed headboard (the room layout has to be this way given the dimensions and our bedroom and bathroom doors)

3. Paint all four walls!

Would love to hear your recommendations about where to paint and what paint color you think would look nice (I plan to update our bed with a wood platform and nightstands in wood tone as well).

Thank you!

Comments (24)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

No accent wall, please. What is the item to the left of the bed that seems to have reflectivity?

Caitlin Linhardt thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I say no to an accent wall. I think you need to shift your focus to new bedding and accessorizing which will take your room to the next level.

• Storybook Home
    4 years ago

I’m not a fan of accent walls in most situations. As inconvenient as it is, paint last. Find inspiration pictures. Get all the other bedroom elements in place (bedding, furniture, etc.) then choose a color to paint with. All four walls.

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    4 years ago

Wow. That is one awkward arrangement. We have no floor plan with measurements so it is impossible to say if it might work to have the bed placed on the wall with two windows, but back to your question. Many bedrooms can handle an accent wall but the only one to consider if one has their heart set on it is the headboard wall. Yours cannot because it would only accentuate the awkwardness.

And yes, decorate first, then paint otherwise, where is the colour coming from.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I vote for no accent wall.

Caitlin Linhardt thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Brown Dog
    4 years ago

Paint colour in your room is the least of your design dilemmas. When I first looked at your photos I wondered why you had a fridge in your bedroom until I realized it's a big cupboard. Yikes. Can you move that to a different room? I see storage is an issue. Get yourself big night stands with big drawers. You have the room on either side of the bed. Also, if you are going to put your bed in front of the window, you should address the design dilemma of putting a bed in front of a window. I suggest adding a curtain almost the whole width of the headboard wall to disguise. You can have the curtain the same colour as your walls so it fades to the background or have the curtain a colour so it becomes a feature. From there, choose your paint colour and your linens. As for the question of a feature wall colour, don't do it unless you do the curtain as a feature colour. There isn't one wall in your space that lends itself to being a painted feature wall. Oh, and if you post more pictures of your room, make your bed!!

Caitlin Linhardt thanked Brown Dog
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    4 years ago

I agree with the others, no accent wall.

• housegal200
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your room lacks color, pattern, and color and those are probably the reasons you want an accent wall. Instead make the bed your "accent wall" with great bedding that harmonizes with your walls and golden floors. Add some art. . Put a mirror above your dresser to reflect light from the window. Center the bed on the window. (You could run inexpensive white curtains across the entire window wall like this with bed centered.)

Dallas, TX: Sara & Rocky Garza · More Info

Accent walls are usually just a cheap fix that add nothing to a room (though there are exceptions: an open wall behind a plain bed or a dark wall to camouflage a TV). Those aren't your situations. Palettes that go well with gray walls:

Bentleigh · More Info

Brooklyn Heights · More Info

My Houzz: Classic East Coast Style in Maryland · More Info

Caitlin Linhardt thanked housegal200
  • Caitlin Linhardt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is all very helpful! We just moved into the house with all our old furniture (which is why everything looks a hot mess - apologies!).

We also downgraded from our old master bedroom (very large closet, two dressers) to this current master bedroom (teeny tiny closet, one dresser) and are really struggling with clothes storage. Enter the bulky wardrobe in the corner :(

I don't see a world where my husband and I can hang our work clothes in the tiny closet. Maybe there is a solution with a smaller armoire (maybe something open-concept?) and under-bed storage that could allow us to lose the armoire and re-orient the room (with bed against the two window wall...)

Thank you again for your feedback and ideas!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Is there another room where you can store clothes? It’s better to abuse an extra guest room for storage than your bedroom. Check out closet storage ideas online. The room has lots of character, I think once you get your storage issues solved it will be lovely. Oh, and can you replace the ceiling fan with a plain white one, or a nice light fixture?

• samondragon
    4 years ago

I don't understand buying bed linens before painting. Linens don't seem like a permanent fixture to me, wall color more "permanent". I change my linens for the seasons...flannel & goose down for winter, cotton & less bulky bedding for warmer weather. My purchase choice for those are based on wall color & fitting in with the other contents of the room. Seems buying bedding first is putting the cart before the horse. What if in 2 years you want a new bedding color that doesn't work with the paint?

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Whatever you do, keep the furnishings very minimal. This bedroom palette and simplicity would work well with your walls and floor--pale gray and gold floors, dressers as night tables, simple bedding, two lovely art pieces and that's it.

Zen Midcentury Master Suite · More Info

Do you have an extra room, maybe a small one, hanging around :) If so turn it into a dressing room and use this one just for sleeping.

• Storybook Home
    4 years ago

Samondragon, the reason people say paint last isn’t only because of bed linens. When a designer decorates a room, they are typically looking big picture at the whole design. The drapes, the accent pillows, the bed linens, the ottomans, the chair fabric, the art, etc. Paint comes in almost any color and is a lot easier to change/match than, for example, the warm red wood tones in a room full of mahogany furniture or giving up the perfect accent pillow because it’s blue classes with the blue paint already on the walls.

Much like kitchen backsplash, paint is typically done last as an accent to accentuate the other more permanent/consistent design elements that relate to one another. Most people who hire a designer to create their space aren’t planning on buying new linens in a whim since they paid for a specific look. If you like to change out bed linens and decor with the season, then I’d guess you have a more neutral paint pallet anyway to accommodate the changing decor.

Also, because lighting and close objects affect how paint colors look to the eye, having the elements already present in the room can help pick the right shade out of 30 similar colors. Off-white looks white until you put it next to stark white, for example. There are many threads of people struggling to get their all “white” kitchens to match because the white subway tile and the white cabinets and the white Corian counters are all actually not simply white and then clash.

• PRO
    Spaces Into Places LLC
    4 years ago

No accent wall. This space is too disjointed to add another mismatched feature. I love the idea of a curtain wall behind the bed to pull that space together (it will feel peaceful). Good window treatments are key. Wall paint is the least of your worries. Pick something you love and run with it. Dark or light.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Samondragon, you can paint a room for $50 and a couple hours. You can’t get bedding for that money.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

No accent wall…there is nothing to accent. Normally, an accent solid wall behind a headboard is a great way to accent the bed and have some color. There is no solid wall.

Any interest in suggestions for a new furniture arrangement and bedding/window treatments to warm up the room?

Don’t change the radiator. The old steam heat is the very best ever!

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    4 years ago

Try to look at the bigger picture for the entire space before settling for a solution for this bedroom. As housegal200 suggested, a small extra room could become an ideal dressing room.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

I was nixing an accent wall, but what if you do something like this? There are some great ready made black out curtains on line…choose something you like (a solid is the easiest with which to work) and use those curtains for color accent. You can draw at night and push back during day to frame the windows. Treat the other window the same way.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Moving into a new space often requires rethinking everything we used to have in another space. In this room, the only place for your bed is the window wall. That's going to require a wall of draperies, or one curtain panel on the far left, and one on the far right with some shades on each window for privacy and light control. Then a pair of nightstands with drawers for storage. A platform bed won't help you unless you get one with drawers for storage. Pottery Barn has some nice looking storage beds with the options of side drawers, or a drawer at the foot of the bed. If not a storage bed, then a headboard with dust skirt where you can hide under bed storage bins. Then purchase new pieces that fit in the spaces left. Closet organization is also key. Cover the radiator with a cover. Color is last when you have selected bedding and a rug. No accent wall.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

The temptation in a new place is to add bits and pieces of favorite inspiration ideas instead of tackling the most basic, obvious challenges. In your case, those are space and layout, not paint or a platform bed or bedding. Work on making the very best, most efficient use of the space before you move on to "decorating." You've gotten excellent suggestions to help you problem solve the room in ways you haven't thought of. That's what Houzz is good for--rethinking problems and new ways to solve them.

JudyG's photo is the closest to dealing with the space you have. (Your bedroom seems to be a bit larger so you could and should get small dressers to use as nightstands for additional storage.) I hope you will seriously consider that approach--curtained window wall with bed centered on it.

Design Girl's observations about rethinking everything now that you're in a new place are spot on. Good luck!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

As others have mentioned, the first step in a design is a floor plan.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

• roarah
    4 years ago

I think with your new headboard you do not need and an accent wall. Choose a stunning color and have fun with it on all four walls!

I live in an old house with limited storage aswell. We used European style IKEA wardrobes in our dressing area. They are 8 feet tall 39 inches wide but instead of the usual 36 deep ours are only 15 or 18 inches deep I think. They stow so much and in our narrow eight foot wide area they work so much better than the standard IKEA wardrobes. We also have a linen closet and a small cedar closet in our hall original to the home we keep our less used formal stuff in the cedar closet outside of the bedroom proper could your wardrobe work in the hallway?

Here is a picture of our unconventional IKEA storage units. They are thinner in depth than a dresser but hold tons.

The bars pull out to see the back items.