Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anla26

My trip to the Sacramento Historic City Cemetery during peak bloom...

This is the time of year when we're all so tired of winter....and we need a rosy pick-me-up! Last April, I convinced my 11 and 13 year old son and daughter that visiting the Sacramento Historic Cemetery rose garden was way more fun than going to Disneyland :) So our whole family flew from Seattle to Sacramento for a little spring break trip to the cemetery to see the roses at the peak of bloom. We were not disappointed. It was stunning!!

The experience of spending the day ambling amongst the old roses and graves was soul satisfying...even for my children. They enjoyed their time there as much as I did. I was finally able to see in person so many of the roses I'd heard about here on this forum for years.

If any of you are able to visit this garden, let me tell you, it is worth the trip!! If you're an old rose lover and wondering where to spend your vacation this year...go here!!

I will try to put the names of each rose pictured...there may be a few I didn't get. Enjoy!

Comments (65)

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also have this in my garden and love it...I always get a small fall flush of bloom as well as the big spring flush....

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Edited to add...this last picture may actually be Monsieur Tillier

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is another rose I fell in love with after seeing it in person...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was impressed by how well the Hybrid Musks do here....I thought maybe Sacramento was too scorching for them to thrive, but they were lush and lovely...

Lavender Lassie:

Sally Holmes:

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

Wow. Thanks for sharing your pictures Rosylady! That must be the world's most beautiful cemetery when the roses are in bloom.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Last but not least, random pretty pictures. Thank you for looking....I hope you feel inspired!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• kathyc_z10
    4 years ago

how kind of you to post these pictures! beautiful! I am really happy to see Glore Lyonnaise as I received a band of it from Burling last year and had limited info on its width or height. Seeing those pictures of it made me so happy (although I dont think the space I have for it is going to be big enough!)! How is it doing in your garden rosylady?

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked kathyc_z10
  • kaleidoscope eyes
    4 years ago

thanks for posting these pictures.Going to the Sacramento historic city cemetery is on my bucket list!

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked kaleidoscope eyes
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Rosylady, thank you so much! I am seriously considering a road trip! How spectacular.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

Thank you for these beautiful pictures!

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked erasmus_gw
  • Grace Carroll Zone 10a
    4 years ago

this is a glorious thread, thank you for sharing!!!!

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Grace Carroll Zone 10a
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Rosylady, thanks for taking the time to upload these photos. That was a treat. I have been tempted by Reve D'Or for a long time, and I'm now seriously thinking of ordering it.

I think your children will follow in your footsteps. I can't imagine too many children being happy to spend a day wandering around a cemetery - even with such glorious roses.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Grace Carroll Zone 10a
    4 years ago

Vaporvac - HA!

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Grace Carroll Zone 10a
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing all this loveliness, Rosylady. Your pictures are wonderful. I'm shocked though that the roses are peaking this early; it must be global warming because ten years ago I think they were like this in April. At any rate I'm glad you and your family were able to see the cemetery at its best.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Ingrid, this was last year. The peak open is this year is April 18 & 19, 2020.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • slumgullion in southern OR
    4 years ago

Thank you!!!! I needed an injection of rosy goodness, and these photos are wonderful!!

....Also, curse you!!! These photos forced me to add another half-dozen varieties to my wish list!! LOLOLOL

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked slumgullion in southern OR
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am so happy you guys are enjoying the pictures! Thank you for all your lovely comments. I am not computer savvy, so I had been putting off posting the pictures for fear I would lose posts during the process, but thankfully I only lost one.

kathyc....My Gloire Lyonnaise was a very small band from RVR when I bought it last year, and it didn't grow very much after I finally got it into the ground in July. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does this season.

shelia....you are less than a day's drive from Sacramento...you should go!! I've been to many rose gardens, and there is something very special about this one. The cemetery itself is so beautiful, and the way the roses are allowed to grow naturally and sprawl is enchanting. I don't think I've been to another public rose garden like it.

Unlike most municipal/public rose gardens, which I love and are very beautiful, this particular garden is very soulful, much like visiting the garden of a passionate rose lover.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are a few more pics...it was interesting to see some of these rare varieties in person...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Look at the beautiful way they've trained this rose...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not an old rose, but fun to see it after I've heard it mentioned here so many times...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry for my finger in this pic, but it's such a pretty rose I have to show it...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It was hard to take pictures in the bright midday sun, so the colors of this Monsieur aren't really showing as well...but still, such a pretty rose....

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This was a rose I was very excited to see! I bought one for my garden two years ago, but haven't put it in the ground yet. I'm looking for a place of honor to put it as I plan to let it grow to its full size. These flowers are so full and luscious....I love it!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This entire plant was a beauty...the shape, the foliage, and the flower. Is anyone growing this? I would love to get one...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

4 years ago

Wow. I love those California roses! Gorgeous.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are more pics of what I'm pretty sure is Whittle-Byer Light Pink...I love the rose with the headstone in the back ground...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Whew....I need a second cup of coffee now! :)

4 years ago

You deserve another coffee! Thanks for the pics!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Hear! Hear!

• slumgullion in southern OR
    4 years ago

Scrumptious! Thanks!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Thank you so much, Rosylady! I really enjoyed all your photos, and you did such a great job getting labels and multiple photos! What a wonderful trip! :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Such a treat! I loved all of them. Thanks for sharing. I am so impressed you got your kids to go to a rose garden cemetery instead of Disneyland lol!

I loved that you included the Bearded Iris. I have no luck here with those and so jealous of anyone who can grow them lol.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    4 years ago

Late to this thread, thank you so much Rosylady for sharing your rosy explorations. It was great to have the labels included, and all in the right order too - very impressive! I'm also impressed that your children loved it too. I wonder if they were interested in the roses themselves, or just loved exploring the magical garden environment.

I like the idea of a Living Theme Park Holiday Adventure...

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Spectacular! Thanks for sharing these amazing roses.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! I go to the Spring rose sale every year (we only live about 1 & 1/2 hrs away), and I always try to bring along someone who knows how to garden, but does not grow roses (or even a younger relative who has a house and does not know what to do with their "yard"). It is the best place I know to seduce them into wanting old roses which are displayed so well there, and conveniently, they can buy them while they are still entranced! I do play fair by helping them figure out how to care for them, where to plant them, etc. I even help plant the ones I have gotten my young relatives to buy - I seem to spend a lot of time explaining that in Northern CA, if they do not water newly planted roses in the dry season, the roses will die, no matter what else they do. This seems so difficult for 30 somethings, even though they are doctors & CPAs & people with MBAs from Stanford. I persevere, however, and it has worked more often than not. The one big problem is always that they hire "gardeners" to take care of things, who usually are just mow and blow people, and when they do prune anything they do it wrong. Sigh

Jackie

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked jacqueline9CA
  • Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

Beautiful roses! Thank you for getting each roses entire bush shot, it’s so nice to see the entire plant! I’m glad you had such a wonderful time with your family!

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Nola z5aWI
  • garden nut z9b
    4 years ago

whittle beyer light pink is thought to possibly be lady Mary fitzwilliam.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked garden nut z9b
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    4 years ago

Very beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to post all of these! I especially like Schmidt's Smooth Yellow, but I'm always a sucker for yellow roses.

-Chris

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

I absolutely love all the pics and appreciate how well you , Rosylady, organized it. Full pics with names and all. I keep coming back over and over to this thread and i also saved it for future reference.

Rosylady, your kids are amazing and a sport to go to a garden instead of Disney. One of the best cemetery garden in the State and in my opinion in the country .

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

plumeria....thank you! When I took the pictures, I had it in my mind that I'd like to post them here, and so I tried to get the most info possible and especially full bush shots. It's so hard to find pictures of these old roses. Thank goodness for gardenweb and helpmefind!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Garden Nut , it is the same rose. I asked Jeri already bec when she recommended that rose to me. I was in love after i Google, Lady Mary Fitzwilliam . She sits in my heart ever since . why no one grows such beauty ?

The next rose shopping, I am getting her then worry about where to plant her.

Rosylady, Thank you for thinking of us. We really appreciate the pics .It is Unique experience with so many beauties there.

Rosylady (PNW zone 8) thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)