Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritachar

Need help with small living room layout

ritachar
4 years ago

My living room is open to the dining room with a walkway in between. The living room side is approximately 13 feet wide from door to the staircase, and about 7 feet deep from wall to the opening of the door. I have been torn between choosing a small sectional and a chair or two or choosing two sofas. I like the symmetry of two sofas and in such a small space like that it does cut the room off, but I wonder if I will regret not being able to open both french doors? My husband is 6' so I am thinking two 84" sofas with at least 72" inside seating. Although we will be renovating a rec room, this room has the view of the water through the french doors and is the best room to spend time in so I want something we can both stretch out on. I also want to be able to entertain guests. I have not been able to make a decision one way or the other yet and would greatly appreciate some design thoughts. In the pictures below I have pulled apart our current pottery barn sectional to get a feel of different layouts. I was looking at the seda sectional from cisco brothers or something custom from moss studios.

Comments (8)

• jck910
    4 years ago

I would not do a sectional. I would get a low profile sofa to face the FP and a swivel chair for the right side of FP. Or low profile sofa on stair wall and 2 swivel chairs facing FP

ritachar thanked jck910
  • plf12652
    4 years ago

I would tackle the tv issue first...

• ritachar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know the tv placement is not great. I am worried if it is over the fireplace it will be too close to the seating and too high. I wish there was more room and then we would build builtins on either side of the fireplace and maybe lower the mantel to run with the top of the wainscotting all the way around.

• mindshift
    4 years ago

Does your husband take lots of naps on the sofa? That's the only reason I can see for putting in such a large sofa. IMO, small spaces are best furnished with small furniture. Chairs, in particular allow more versatile arrangement. There are recliners that don't look like recliners such as this Arts & Crafts version which would fit the Arts & Crafts style of the room.

ritachar thanked mindshift
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

Small scale furniture - maybe two loveseats facing each other, not two couches. I do think the TV would be better suited over the fireplace. They have mounts that can bring the TV down when viewing if you feel it's too high. We actually got rid of a raised hearth and redid the whole fireplace to mount our TV above. It was the best place for it in the room, so we took the hit and I'm so happy we did.

• ritachar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Design Girl I would love to see a photo of what you did with your fireplace! I agree that doing something to lower the mantel and place a frame tv with a pull-down mount would work best. I know two love seats would work better, I am having a hard time giving up on the idea of snuggling with my other half and the dog. Here is another picture, that shows how the best view is along the stair wall. I wonder if a smaller sectional with a chaise and two swivel chairs on the other side would work. My design challenge has been not wanting to make a mistake in furniture as there is nowhere

else to put it if I get it wrong. The picture is dark, but in the day time, it is a view of a lake. I also would love any recommendations for replacing the lighting on either side of the fireplace. There is not enough room for slim can lights, I already scoped this out.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@ritachar - Here are pictures of what we did with the fireplace. I do not have any pictures of the old one. Our room is not wide (13 ft) and we have a standard mount for the TV. We sit directly across from it and I have no problem viewing it or any neck strain. Since we had a raised hearth, we had to jackhammer it out and lower the firebox so it is now sitting on the floor. We also had to get a new mantle. We decided to have the mantle and bookcases custom built. You have a beautiful craftsman home and it seems that you could reuse your gorgeous mantle with a bit of tweaking if you lowered your firebox, and then the mantle.

ritachar thanked Design Girl
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!