Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsmith8286

What color would you call this?

dcsmith8286
4 years ago

I’m looking for an opinion on the stain on my cabinets. I had a custom cabinet maker make them, I wanted a brown grey stain but am not sure I love the color. Thoughts?

Comments (30)

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Driftwood?

dcsmith8286 thanked J Williams
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like it - surroundings for the color?? Looks gray-brown to me.

dcsmith8286 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

It looks brown/gray to me. I don't know that it will last the test of time though.

dcsmith8286 thanked Design Girl
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Custom cabinets are expensive. If you are not sure you love the stain color put the breaks on. Bring a sample home, live with it for a few days, see if it works for you while you still have the opportunity to change it.

What doesn't feel right to you?

Did you have an inspiration photo or a piece that you really liked and this is not living up to?

IMO this is a really nice stain, but I don't have to live with it.

• dcsmith8286
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am doing an almost white subway tile (it has a subtle hint of grey) and a soft white quart with some subtle grain and brown veining (hanstone campina). I have a greige 12x24 porcelain Floor tile going in and black accents (faucet, pendant lights). thanks for the feedback everyone.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Were you not given a sample board/door to approve before the entire cabinet was made? Is this cabinet a different color than the piece you signed off on?

• Molly D. Zone4B
    4 years ago

I think it’s interesting- not run of the mill.

• dcsmith8286
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So the backstory is that I have an Amish gentleman who made these for me. They were 12k so not cheap but very reasonable for custom cabinetry. We had worked together to match a stain using a custom stain company, the original sample was on hickory which he was able to match perfectly. I found that I liked the stain better on quartersawn oak (the sample we used to match were from a large cabinet company), the cabinet company advertises it as the same stain on oak. My craftsman did not realize that it would not look the same and that even though they advertise it as the same stain just on 2 different wood species that it really isn’t. So we worked together with the company that stain matched to try to get the stain closer to my original choice. He has offered to remake The sides and fronts but this is very close and I feel like it’s insane to make him do this. The wood in this photo was the original stain I wanted

• dan1888
    4 years ago

That looks like quartersawn red oak. And the color appears on my monitor to be somewhat red. First I'd see if that species of wood can match the color you want without bleaching.

• devonfield
    4 years ago

I love it! It is exactly what I hope to get for a brown - gray finish.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

I think it’s beautiful. It looks like fumed oak, a very nice finish and not too “ trendy”.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I like toasty neutrals - it looks very nice.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

It looks very, very close to the inspiration picture. Really, probably as close as you could expect w/o buying the DuraSupreme cabinets. Plus you got nice grain matching. No guarantee you will get that nice of grain match buying factory cabs.

Keep in mind that you are comparing a real life cabinet with a picture. It's not like you have a side by side comparison in the same lighting. The slight difference I see is that the inspo cabinets read a bit more yellow & the photo of your cabinet has a nick of red. I prefer the red.

• joshua123
    4 years ago

I think it looks very good. I purchased the dura supreme cabinets and I think yours look better. I think your cabinet looks slightly darker than the photo but then so do mine. Lighting might make a big difference to the way the cabinets look. Are the cabinets in the garage? If you could move them to the kitchen it might make a big difference.

Would you share the custom stain company's name?

• joshua123
    4 years ago

Sorry- I forgot to answer the question! I think they are a brown grey.

• dcsmith8286
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am in the western New York area and the custom stain company I work with is EMCO stains, they were great! Thank you for the feedback! I did seriously consider purchasing the dura supreme cabinets but it was more money and nowhere near the quality. I also am a fan of supporting local and small businesses whenever possible.

• joshua123
    4 years ago

You were smart to consider another option. I agree, I try to support local businesses when I am able.

• dan1888
    4 years ago

" the cabinet company advertises it as the same stain on oak". This is where the comprehension problem arose. The same stain really means the same color using whatever stain formula was necessary to get the match. To get that in your case you need to start over with the custom stain company and your new oak sample. They can likely match what you wanted originally. Then go forward to get what you wanted. Figure out what additional amount to pay the cabinetmaker.

• dcsmith8286
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes we came to that conclusion and it was a learning experience for my craftsman and myself, he worked with the stain company to create the stain I have now (the original was like a super dated orangy brown) and they were able to make it into what you see in the photo. I’m ok with it not being exact but just want to make sure I like it, I think I do but am just a bit of a nervous nelly because I had been so committed to the other stain for quite a while. It is an option to have him remake the sides and fronts but my budget is pretty much spoken for, he offered to do this at no charge as well but I’m not sure i would feel comfortable with that.

• J Inhof
    4 years ago

I like your cabinet stain and I would keep it if for no other reason than it is very close in color and it seems environmentally unfriendly to me to do a makeover. You might consider adjusting your countertop choice to flatter the new cab color if needed and there is the possibility of adjusting your lighting Kelvin to provide an undertone more to your liking.

IMO when a decision is made in the course of a remodel that I have spent a lot of time on and the outcome is good but not as expected it takes some time for my brain to wrap around the new result and accept it. During our remodel I would get wedded to something and be upset/nervous about the unexpected change but now I can hardly remember what I wanted in the first place. Of course there were times when something happened that was just nasty and I made them re-do.

dcsmith8286 thanked J Inhof
  • ssmith1214
    4 years ago

All I see is purple. And if you put a gray tile next to it, that im sure will look pink.

• dan1888
    4 years ago

The color has red in it. This is different from the gray browns in favor. . . . There's nothing wrong with this color. You'll have to be very careful choosing the other colors you use in your build. Because you're in uncharted color territory.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Looking at your inspiration and the new cabinets I would pick your current cabinet stain hands down.

I think this is one of those errors that actually created an improvement. You will have something unique and absolutely trend proof.

• K R
    4 years ago

Is this for a kitchen? What other elements will there be, counters, floors, etc.? They definitely look like a brownish Gray.

• dcsmith8286
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! My floor and counter are pictured here

• dcsmith8286
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• dcsmith8286
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very hard to tell with the awful lighting in this photo.

• joshua123
    4 years ago

Nice look!

• dan1888
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That picture gets smaller when I click on it. Could be low megapixel file.