Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

What to do with 8”

bbstx
4 years ago

DD wants to have the ice maker removed and an additional DW installed. If the carpenter takes out the ice maker and the adjacent cabinet, then installs the DW, he will have 8” left over. Photo below has ice maker and adjacent cabinet circled. Next to the cabinet is the fridge. I’m sorry I don’t have a photo of that. Nevertheless, what can be done with the leftover 8”? Carpenter says it is too large for filler.

Comments (48)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A pull out spice drawer or pull out can storage

iswydt, btw

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

Will the carpenter be able to match the cabinet doors in the new 8 inches? If so, I think about all you can do there is have a pull-out of some sort, or a stack of slim drawers, perhaps for linens.

bbstx thanked Feathers11
  • cyn427 NoVaZone7
    4 years ago

Perfect for a pull out that would store cookie sheets, trays, pot lids, and/or such.

bbstx thanked cyn427 NoVaZone7
  • maddielee
    4 years ago

How big is her family? Does she entertain a lot? Asking because having 2 dishwashers in different locations like this set up is a pain in the neck. Unless she remembers exactly which one she loaded with which dishes she will have to travel around the island to find things.

Another option might be to put a smaller dishwasher in this space. Then she would have more free space that may work better.

We have a Bosch 18” dishwasher in tiny kitchen at our lake cabin. It’s well designed and holds plenty of dishes. It also does a complete wash in 30 minutes!

bbstx thanked maddielee
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think she is going with the spice rack pull-out. Shorter shelf on the top for spices and taller space on the bottom for oils and vinegars.

My cookie sheet storage is about 2x that and I have very few items in it.

The carpenter who is doing the job tells her he can match the cabinets. He will have the existing cabinet to work with plus the prior owners saved the drawer and door where they installed the ice maker.

@maddielee, I hear ya. She doesn’t have that many kiddos, but her college roommate’s parents had 2 dishwashers in their kitchen (and only 2 kids) and she thought it was the best idea ever. She has been determined to have 2 dishwashers since then. Sometimes you just have to let them figure it out for themselves.

@mtnrdredux_gw, I had to look up “iswydt”! Well, yes, I guess I did. But not on purpose! 😆

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Be sure she has extra, good insulation between the oils/spices and the dishwasher. Heat is the enemy here.

bbstx thanked maddielee
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You are so right! I’ll remind her.

• chispa
    4 years ago

That was a big ice maker!

The ice maker we pulled out was only 15" and we replaced it with a 15" beverage fridge. The beverage fridge was much more useful than a second DW would have been. Future kitchen will still have 1 DW and a bigger beverage fridge (24").

bbstx thanked chispa
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think it is a 15” ice maker. It is coupled with a slightly larger cabinet. Both the ice maker and the adjacent cabinet are being removed. A standard size dishwasher and a pull-out spice cabinet are being installed in the space.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    4 years ago

We have 2 dish drawers and one dish washer and until recently had 0 kids and now have one. Multiple dishwashers was one of the best decisions we made and it was the first thing I insisted on when making plans for our new FL house.

bbstx thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@beaglesdoitbetter, how do you like your dish drawers? What brand are they? DD and I briefly discussed dish drawers but they seem to be a bit uneven in their reliability.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    4 years ago

I don't remember the brand but to be honest, it doesn't matter b/c I wouldn't recommend that particular brand anyway. They only really get the dishes clean if they are run on a deep clean cycle and it takes forever. In retrospect, while I absolutely love having multiple dishwashers I wish I had done two full dish washers instead of one washer and two dish drawers. (And I will be doing two full dish washers in FL although I'm putting a dish drawer in the dog room where we only wash the dogs plates, it will be a different brand).

bbstx thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

I have FP dish drawers here (~10yr) and also 2 FP drawers in Maine (6 yr). I will never go back to normal d/w, just like I would never go back to K cabinets instead of drawers.

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

There is no sink next to the proposed additional dishwasher location, correct? So carrying drippy rinsed off dishes across the kitchen to that location? What about a trash can for scrapings?

Normally when there are multiple dishwashers they are situated on either side of a sink rather than in separate areas of the kitchen.

bbstx thanked Michelle misses Sophie
  • bpath
    4 years ago

It looks like there is a sink there.

bbstx thanked bpath
  • wilson853
    4 years ago

I'm sorry that it took me 30 years to get two. At first my DH thought it was a crazy idea but since he helps a lot with clean up he is now convinced that it makes sense. Since this is next to the refrigerator it might be a handy spot for wraps and foils.

Leesburg River Creek Kitchen · More Info

bbstx thanked wilson853
  • Oakley
    4 years ago

Does she entertain a lot, or cook five course meals every day? One DW is a pita, having two takes twice as long, even though DH does the dw. With kids she's going to miss that extra ice maker as they get older. Tell her that's what Oakley says. :)

bbstx thanked Oakley
  • julieboulangerie
    4 years ago

The other choice is to do an 18 inch dishwasher and give yourself another 6 inches.

bbstx thanked julieboulangerie
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Michelle misses Sophie, it's hard to see, but there is a sink next to the ice maker.

@mtnrdredux_gw, I agree with drawers in the kitchen instead of cabinets. That is what DD had in her last house too. I wonder how long it is going to take her to get exasperated with cabinet doors.

wilson853, great idea! I especially like the DW detergent tabs on the bottom shelf.

DD and DSIL gave me a FaceTime tour of the house a couple of days ago. It looks sooo different already! The off-white walls are making a BIG difference.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

I totally understand helping an adult child, I get it. But can I sneak in and say one more thing? Her spices really should be closer to her cooktop. Someplace she can reach while cooking.

bbstx thanked maddielee
  • Aglitter
    4 years ago

@bbstx Was this the same family from another thread that was just moving in and was going to renovate the kitchen in about 5 years and didn't like the colors everywhere throughout both the house and kitchen because they wanted something more gray? I hope she feels the temporary work is worth this change given it may be ripped out in a few years.

bbstx thanked Aglitter
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Oakley, I'll tell her you said so! HA! She's determined to have 2 full size DWs. As it is now, she does 2 to 3 loads of dishes a day. DD's a bit hard-headed. I have no idea where she gets it from!

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

What Maddielee said. Also, the layout of that kitchen would drive me crazy. Therefore, alluding to Grateful's statements above, I wouldn't put a dime into the kitchen until I had lived and cooked in it for a while. I have a feeling a second dishwasher is going to be the least of her desires very soon.

bbstx thanked Feathers11
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@maddielee, I'm going to show her @wilson853's photo. I think that is going to be the best use of her "spice" rack. Notice the cooktop is on the island, way away from this area and terribly inconvenient for cooking.

@Aglitter, yep, you remember correctly. Instead of gray, she went with SW Alabaster in most of the downstairs. The contractor who is helping with the DW modifications has convinced her to keep the wood-tone cabinets for a few more years because of the kiddies (3 under 3.5). I think not having drawers is going to drive her nuts, though.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Bbstx, I know it may be difficult to offer recommendations to DD--especially those that require patience! When a young family chooses a new home, it's such a major decision and there's usually a strong desire to personalize it promptly and make it their own. I moved into one of my first homes early on, and began peeling wallpaper while the movers were still bringing in the furniture. But paint and drapery are one thing. The kitchen is quite another. I lived in my current home a few years and by that time had decided every element of my kitchen that I wanted to change. My decisions were more deliberate and my money much better spent after a period of time using the kitchen to determine what I really wanted and needed. Not saying she won't still want a second dishwasher, but if there are other things about that kitchen that bother her, I would encourage her to look at the bigger picture of a future kitchen reno, rather than quick fixes now.

Just my 2 cents. But I know... I would not have listened to myself 25 years ago, either. ;-)

bbstx thanked Feathers11
  • Aglitter
    4 years ago

@bbstx Have her check out the "No Wiggle" line of pullouts from Hardware Resources. They're the most stable on the market, in my opinion. They have a special upper rod that keeps the interior secure. Rev-A-Shelf inserts are the next best thing for quality. If you can find a local dealer for Hardware Resources, the retail price will always be less than list, sometimes significantly so.

bbstx thanked Aglitter
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Feathers11, I value your 2 cents! She's going to live with this kitchen before making any major changes. But she doesn't see adding the DW as a "major change."

@Aglitter, thanks for the recommendation of Hardware Resources. I'll pass it along. Her cousin is a Rev-A-Shelf dealer, so I'm guessing she'll do business with him. ;-)

• Oakley
    4 years ago

Bbstx, does she cook a lot?

bbstx thanked Oakley
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Oakley, yes. They rarely eat out. They are both very health conscious and prefer to prepare their own food.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

Ah, that makes sense! Good for them!

bbstx thanked Oakley
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

I'd keep the pods up and away from where youngsters can get to them. Just a thought.

bbstx thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • llitm
    4 years ago

I have a space for 2-3 pullout bars which hold dish towels, etc. (am away from home so unable to check dimensions, etc.) which is very handy.

bbstx thanked llitm
  • User
    4 years ago

I have 2 slim cabinets --- one 6.5 inches wide, the other 7. One is used for baking sheets, wire racks; the other for cutting boards.

bbstx thanked User
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 good point! In the old house, they had magnetic child safety locks on any door or drawer where something dangerous was stored. They’ll do the same in the new house. Here’s DGS “helping” Dad install a lock.

• User
    4 years ago

When I bought my first house (seems like 100 hrs ago) I hated the kitchen. Couldn't afford to do anything to fix it then, but hubby said to live with it a while while we saved some money. A few yrs later he asked me about updating, remodeling the kitchen. I said, no, I certainly could continue to live with the kitchen and I'd rather put the money into a travel/vacation fund. so we traveled. And had wonderful memories year after year. A few years later, we put the money into our retirement accounts. And we retired in our 50's. So, my forty year old kitchen still has the honey oak, arched cabinets (they're clean so and work well so I don't care what they look like), I had to change the Formica countertops (put in Corian), and I have an indestructible cushioned sheet Armstrong Congoleum floor. And still has the original GE dishwasher, GE Americana range, and Litton microwave. My motto has always been: Use it Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without.

bbstx thanked User
  • User
    4 years ago

I always wanted two dishwashers because I really needed them. We entertained very large groups often and even for daily use it would have been convenient. However, having them on separate sides of the kitchen is probably the worst idea I have ever heard. My SIL who cooks a lot designed her kitchen with a full size dishwasher on both sides of the sink, which is a perfect arrangement IMO. Another SIL has a full size DW on one side of the sink and two fisher paykel drawers on the other side.

When we replaced our kitchen aid dishwasher with a Miele in the old house Iflirted briefly with buying a Miele catering dishwasher, which had a speed cycle that washed in TEN MINUTES. It was very pricey, over $5000 and the installation was a bit more because there was more to it than a standard hook up. I didn’t do it and regretted it daily. until we sold the house. :) When we replace our current dw here I will absolutely get that model. It takes the place of two dishwashers. You may want to mention that to your DD, BBstx.

We have had at least one ice maker in all our houses. This house has an 18” upstairs and a 15” downstairs. We haven’t had an Icemaker in a fridge freezer in decades. I love the little square pieces of soft ice and they are very handy for making up ice packs. However, having a very hardheaded DD myself I m kw when they decide they want something, get out of the way!

bbstx thanked User
  • lyfia
    4 years ago

Which of the sinks does she use for clean up? They appear to be about the same size. Ask her if it wouldn't be better to put a dishwasher on each side of the sink so that when one is full and she wasn't able to fit everything she doesn't have to grab all the dirty pieces and move them over to the other side.

I want two dishwashers too, but I do want them close to each other so I don't have to carry things back and forth.

Maybe removing the trash compactor and put a dishwasher there would be a better choice. A trash bin/sorter could be put and made to fit under the sink. That is what we have.

bbstx thanked lyfia
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User, you‘ve got her pegged! She’ll ask for advice, and generally listen, but if she’s set on a path, it’s “Katie, bar the door!” She and DSIL are grown; they can afford it; if it doesn’t work, it is a lesson learned for the kitchen re-do.

I’ll mention the Miele catering DW. It may be good to remember for when she remodels the kitchen. Does it wash and dry in 10 minutes?

Thanks, everyone for all of your helpful suggestions. I’ve passed them along.

• User
    4 years ago

I think it does, it says complete cycle. But I was looking at those five or so years ago. I went online to check about the drying and now their shortest wash time is SIX minutes! Game changer! It is the 8056 model and is now $5500, not too much more. Also it is a fresh water system instead of using water from a tank. And like most Miele dishwashers it has its own water softener so you do have to add salt.

bbstx thanked User
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To follow up, DD is absolutely loving having 2 dishwashers. The contractor built a small pull out unit with shelves to fit between the DW and the fridge. He did an excellent job on making the finish match what is already there! Because we are not leaving the house, I’ve only seen the pull-out unit on Face Time. I have no idea what she is actually storing in there.

• amykath
    4 years ago

Would love to see pics!!!

bbstx thanked amykath
  • terezosa / terriks
    4 years ago

Apparently I'm the only one whose mind is in the gutter. "What to do with 8"?" had me thinking of something other than kitchens. 😂

bbstx thanked terezosa / terriks
  • localeater
    4 years ago

No terriks, you are not the only one.

bbstx thanked localeater
  • Forever Now
    4 years ago

I'm grateful to have one dishwasher after 3 years without! That said, when we're all 4 home and eating 3 homecooked meals a day its hard if not impossible to fit a days worth of dishes in one dishwasher, so if there is room for 2 then I say go for it!

bbstx thanked Forever Now
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ll have to say, the title was written in all innocence. But it sure worked at getting some attention to the issue!

DD & DSIL have been actually living in the house one week. DD’s MIL and I offered to pay to have it cleaned, but she wanted to do it herself to make sure that all the nooks and crannies were cleaned well when they moved in. Between cleaning, unpacking, and organizing, - oh, and wrangling 3 kiddies 3 and under - DD has had her hands full.

Hanging of pictures is being held in abeyance until I can get there and we can consult. DD’s MIL has a great picture hanger guy. All we have to do is figure out which goes where and he’ll come in and get them on the wall.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

How much time do I have? :)

bbstx thanked Bunny
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

🤣😂🤣😂

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022