Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Duck: Retread thread —

petalique
4 years ago

Thanks, Plllog and Lindac.

I apologize for that overly long unfocused post. I was cooking (or had plans to cook) the duck and parts is several directions.

I removed the duck breast with skin and fat on. These were the last thingsI prepared. I scored the skin and pa fried them in a hot pan, skin side down in a bit of garlic-thyme-sale gris favored duck fat. I let the skin get very crisp, the turned the breast halves. I made a sweet-tart cherry sauce for the and put some of the filtered thyme-salt-garlic fat on roasted potato. They were heavenly. I cooked them medium-med rare.

The chopped carcass including wings, thighs and legs I oven roasted after marinating dry in garlic, gray salt and thyme for 48 hours. I washed marinade off, patted dry and put in a slow oven in a Le Creuset Dutch oven, no cover because I wanted the skin to crisp. Hours later, fragrant, but skin did not crisp. Meat seemed salty and tough. I did get about 1.5 Cups of delicious fat which I filtered and set aside.

I made stock from the bones. I couldn’t get the skin to crisp. The stock is heavenly. Oh, and the filtered duck broth gelatin (solid when cold) was fantastic. I ate a few spoonfuls, and included the remainder in the broth-stock pot.

It was my first duck cooking experiment and I read too much, was exhausted and tried to go in too many directions at once, and took too much time. The many good cooks here would have tossed me and the duck out of their kitchens, I’m sure. This weekend I’ll visit my duck loving friend and maybe get more thoughts. I’ll take the frozen liver and some fat with me.

I bought a few “spare” ducks (freezer), so one of these days I will try the recommended Inna Gartner recipe, and also a Peking Duck recipe — air compressor or sports ball pump technique to separate the skin from the fat.

I wish I could give you a taste of those duck breasts with crisp skin — so delicious. Oh, and the flavor of the duck fat reminded me so much of the batches of roasted prime woodland mushrooms I used to make — chanterelles, optimum boletes, and select russulas.

Now I’m off to snack on leftover duck and to make Char Siu.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

edit - typos

Note: I cannot get this to publish to the CF; I am trying again. ??? Anyone see this?

Comments (8)

• plllog
    4 years ago

I see it at 1pm PST

petalique thanked plllog
  • bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

no. ^_^

petalique thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • plllog
    4 years ago

LOL! Dave, you bring the perfect amount of snark gently. I mean, with Japanese kitty face?

petalique thanked plllog
  • Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

How about trying to roast a duck whole? If i have a whole bird, I'd never cut it up first. The meat will be so tender and juicy, basted in it's own fat. You just need to prick it all over and drain off the fat every 10, 15 minutes.

petalique thanked Islay Corbel
  • petalique
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Yes, I will roast or Peking the next one.

• petalique
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

“The Duck Soup Murder”

I don’t suppose duck soup stock kept at 46-47 deg F for two days (broth, onions, celery, carrot, bones w a bit of meat and fat, left in a cold cellar, covered for two days at 47 deg F after it was cooked, simmered (at ~ boiling for 2 hr, high simmer, then cooled, place on cellar floor.

Probe thermometers read 46 - 47 deg. F..

My buddy is often (I guess) sure he knows what I’m saying or going to say, so perhaps he figures he doesn’t need to pay attention, even if it involves food, food safety.

The unheated cellar fridge is at 40 deg F (I want it 35 deg F, but in the cold cellar, the fan motor bogs down). That would have been better.

The uninsulated garage reads 45 deg F. — not idea.

The bit of fat on the top is soft solid. It represents a bit of work, for sure. But, I think it’s getting tossed.

Darn it. (If anyone wonders why I didn’t just crunch down to the cellar fridge myself, or make room in the kitchen fridge, I’m asking myself that. But, sometimes, in a household, people like to work cooperatively, rely on one another, etc., etc..)

Too bad, it tasted good when I had it simmering on the stovetop. Guess no cassoulet, and I’ll open a jar of peanut butter ;-( <———— drama!

I can make an interesting salad ;-)

• petalique
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Everything’s good, Plllog. We were busy and had too many kettles going, hahaha. Maybe I can donate the “soup stock” to science. Or keep it and try to develop a corona-19 vaccine. Or spin it into gold with an emersion blender.