Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patti_yohe

Broan hood installation - gaps between vent and sheetrock.

Peke (Patti)
4 years ago

We are getting wasps in the house. I think they are coming in through the vent hood. I did not realize the gaps were there.

This picture is the sheetrock wall where the back of the hood goes outside of the wall. No ducts going up. The installer said it would be sealed.

The wood you see is the underside of the upper cabinet that is above the vent hood.

Wires going from the hood into the hole in the sheetrock.

Obviously, the hood installer did not seal it. Lots of holes. What do I need to do to seal it? What products? I guess we will have to lie down on top of the rangetop, but we still will not be able to see where the holes are. I think the gap is about 3".

So, once the holes are sealed, we need to insulate the 3" gap. We are thinking about putting a stainless steel panel as part of our backsplash. Somehow, attach the S.S. to the back of the vent hood, down down the wall, on 3" section of quartzite behind rangetop, and attach it to the rangetop.

The countertop has a bad seam so we want to hide it.

Any advice? Other ideas? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• Peke (Patti)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the bad seam which can be seen from a distance. If I put a stainless steel panel up at the vent, run it down the wall to the bottom, then bend it in a 90° angle, it will go where the light blue "paint" is. The seam will still show.

If I put the steel panel a little wider, it will cover the seam, but it will be wider than the rangetop and it will stick out. Maybe the corner can be rounded.

I really need some help. I can't buy a backsplash tile until this gets fixed.

Any advice?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

No advice for the seam, but I'd shoot some canned foam insulation behind the hood. Don't overfill, and when dry, if needed, trim with a utility knife. Maybe this bump will get you more advice.

Peke (Patti) thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Peke (Patti)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't know what is going on, but I am not getting all messages that say someone responded to a post. I found this under my account. I promise I was not ignoring it. Thanks mama goose!

• kaseki
    4 years ago

I can't write much about this, particularly as the photos do not clarify the big picture for me. Some photos from varying distances closing in toward the hood might help provide context. This is likely because I don't have this type of hood.

To address wasps, I would start at the outside and seal all gaps around the ducting and duct cap. And there should be a damper in the duct near the duct exit.

Peke (Patti) thanked kaseki
  • Peke (Patti)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We had new siding installed last summer, and my GC sealed everything he could. The wasps must get into the attic, then the walls, I guess. They might also be crawling in through the 35 recessed lights. It is a huge open room, so 35 lights, really! I can't remember who installed the vent...either the electrician or the cabinet maker. I will have my GC look at it, but I don't know if he will know what to do with it. He is a local rancher who has done general contracting for years. He does a great job, but we have to wait a long time to get him. The current homeowner he is working with keeps adding things she wants fixed, changed, or added to his list. Plus, the cattle have to be cared for. So, we wait. He thought he would start our upstairs remodeling last September, so we emptied out our upstairs in August, and everything has been piled in our living room and bedroom ever since. I had a feeling he would not start until February, but now it is March. We are thankful to get him even if we do have to wait. (Very rural area with horrible contractors and "experts"...well, people pretending to be experts.

I didn't know there was a hole until I leaned in with a camera to see what was going on. They said they sealed it when they installed it. Obviously not, if I go by the jagged looking sheetrock.