Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Do you re pot your orchids into a better mix when you buy them?

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

For me after all these years it's a must!

I have discovered that anything and everything I buy them in rots mines before a years end. I had to do 8 re pots in the past week due to root rot and a mass of dead roots. !

I am tired of seeing that my orchids are not thriving because of this.

I also use see through plastic containers since I was never good at knowing how the roots look before I soak the or before.

Now lately when I purchase any, I re pot them into my own fresh mixes. Also what I have found is that there is so many unhealthy roots even when I recieve them something that never occured to me.

Very frustrating. I feel like I am trying to nuture back to health sickly orchids before they were sold to me.

Expensive orchids just to have them decline to poor root health before a years end. NO more.

Do you re pot when you get new one into a mix that works for you? Do you check the root system out before you bring them home? I do now and I will in the future.

Mike

Comments (11)

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

It doesn't take long for an orchid to go downhill if not inspected, cleaned up and repotted on a regular basis.

That is why buying neglected orchids on the cheap from deceased estates etc. is risky.

Generally, the closer the equator the more arid the mix, though you have to allow for humidity levels as well as temperatures. My Climate zone is 10b, but I think Vandas and similar might be better in Florida 10b.

Once you get a mix that seems OK, you can use it for most by varying the pot size or type and where you place the orchid in your collection.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked arthurm2015
  • westoh Z6
    4 years ago

Two main factors for me:

#1. Did the plant come from a reputable breeder? If yes then #2. If no and any question about the medium, repot.

#2. Good vendor: If it is outgrowing it's current pot and not in flower, repot when convenient, usually within a week. If not crowded and not in flower I leave it be until it's time. If it is in flower, I leave it be and decide after flowering.

75-80% of my orchids are in an orchiata bark mix and plastic pots, the rest are in various other media/pots or mounted.

Bob

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked westoh Z6
  • jane__ny
    4 years ago

I do the same as Bob. I look at the roots and determine if the mix looks fresh, if so I leave them alone. The only difference is I do repot into clay or mounts only, do to the humidity in Florida. I'm find bark isn't great here unless you plan to repot almost yearly which I don't do.

Jane

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked jane__ny
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jane, I actually just visited an Orchid Supplier I buy my stuff from at the orchid show and boy does just bark do wonders on his! All he uses on most is Orchiata because he likes to water every day and his greenhouse is very humid. They thrive in bark alone.

Mines on the other hand I found out desicate because my little greenhouse gets way too hot and dry along with those in my sunroom. Now I just found out I can't keep them going unless I have some sort of moisture holding agent in my pots which brings me to sphagnum. I have to change all mines out now into either bark and sphagnum and depending on how moist I need them or how long will determine how much I use. Crazy, I always thought the faster draining the better, but now I see how environment plays a factor on what we use. I see there is no one size fits all even to orchids I guess. Hope you are doing ok these days))

• westoh Z6
    4 years ago

Mike,

Change a few at a time until you see that there is improvement. A wholesale change of media might cause as many or more issues than you have now.

Good luck,

Bob

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bob, after all these years I am still trying to figure out the best media. It's getting ridicolous. I find there are too many different variables for too many mixes. Then if I decide to grow some from my greenhouse into my home, I have to change the mix once again.Ugh! Now I am trying just Orchiata bark for some my oncidiums, the small size. Found that the spahgnum was holding moisture too long even in my greenhouse. Ugh There has to be a mix in which one size fits all.

I think eventually after loosing a few I might figure out what mix works best in a cold room, a hot greenhouse with lots of humdidity and a dry very warm room upstairs. I just want to water as often as I like without worrying about the mix going to dry if I forget to water them for a day or two. Not yet for each environment. I am about to give it all up.

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

Mike,

No matter where you are there are the Difficult or the Impossibles.

Here they are Miltoniopsis, Odontoglossum, Many Vandaceous Types, Hard cane dendrobiums, Orchids that need cloud forest conditions.

Even those "easy" Phalaenopsis are difficult. I keep fiddling with them because so many people get beautiful unnamed plants as presents and cannot bear to throw them in the garbage...then they ask you how to grow them at an orchid show.

Anyway, What do see most at an orchid show when you live in zone 6a?

• westoh Z6
    4 years ago

Mike,

Maybe consider adjusting your watering techniques. IMO you can grow most orchids in a variety of mixes/environments, you just need to adjust watering accordingly.

Bob

• Rosie1949
    4 years ago

Mike I also use the orchid bark with shredded sphagnum and it works wonders for me. I summer my plants out on the side porch (east) which is bright thru the day but shaded from the morning sun starting around noon. The few I have usually bloom 2 times a year. Sometimes only once, but mostly 2. I will admit, things get watered outside on the porch once every 5 to 7 days depending on the weather conditions. Works for me! Rosie (s'east Michigan)

• aztcqn
    4 years ago

I made the mistake of buying young orchids wrapped in cellophane from a Chinese grower. They are cattleya clones.

But, they all had mushy, waterlogged roots. Fortunately, there were budding roots and it was still warm "growing" weather so I transplanted in bark and, most importantly, I staked them well so there would be no movement and no damage to the new roots that were appearing. I managed to salvage all of them and they are still growing in the yard. I think it depends on the state of the mix.

"I see there is no one size fits all even to orchids I guess."

No. But, you can acquire plants that all come from very similar growing conditions /environment so your watering habits, mix mostly coincide. I'm sure my success with my orchids, over the past 20 years, has been this particular detail.