Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynncrenshaw80

Need help with kitchen cabinet hinges and rehanging cabinet doors

I need to change the hinges on my kitchen cabinets because some of the old ones are no longer keeping the doors closed. I bought new ones and a new pull to see if I liked them. I did, so I got more and rehung four doors in a section of the kitchen. My "test" cabinet worked great. No issue, door closed properly immediately. But, the other three do not close properly anymore even though they used to.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong in how I am tightening the screws but I cannot figure out what that is. I checked the internet and found a video for some different types of hinges where some screws move the door up and down and others in an out, but cannot find anything for the type of hinge I am using and I have tried everything and cannot figure it out.

The hinges are called 3/8 inset. That means they show on the outside of the cabinet and have three screws on the inside plate.

If you have any experience with changing hinges and rehanging kitchen cabinet doors, please give me some advice.

Comments (24)

• Lynn in Parkton, Maryland
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your response. They are beautiful cherry cabinets and I cannot bring myself to paint them and replacement is extremely expensive and not a budget option.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

because some of the old ones are no longer keeping the doors closed.

Have you considered using catches. These are the type that are on my inset doors.

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    4 years ago

If your door isn't closing, I would think something is warped or twisted (face frame, door stile). I have shimmed these type of hinges one way or another to get the door to close properly.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Sometimes, even though the new hinge looks exactly the same as what you had, they are off just enough, that the doors wont close. I had same problem in one bathroom. I tried about 6 hinge sets and they still were not perfect. I ended up cleaning, the existing hinges really good, and spray painting them and the doors closed perfectly first try.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your ideas. I really appreciate it. I had looked at those catches and will do so again. I am not familiar with magnetic catches but will look at them too. I saved the old hinges but almost all of the plastic pieces inside them were broken and springs missing or fell out when I took them off., so not sure I can reuse them. This is so disappointing. I thought this would be an easy project but obviously not.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Lynn, does the screw hole pattern of the new hinges match up exactly with the old hinges? Often, there is a slight difference and that slight difference is enough to cause problems.

If you can find a brand name or even a number on the old hinges, maybe you can replace them with the exact same hinge?

Original Author
    4 years ago

Buying new hinges means the look changes so I was experimenting with a new color. I bought a set of new hinges at Home Depot. They were made by Liberty. I replaced one two hinge door that was not closing and it hung fine and closed correctly. But I was still not sure of the color, so I bought more and replaced them on an entire cabinet section for a better visual. The top two hinge doors hung OK - one perfectly and the other just slightly off, but not the bottom cabinets which are three hinge pantry doors. Neither are good.

The holes line up OK. They seem correct. But there is play between the middle screw and the two that are aligned. It seems that the middle screw can throw the others off. I have been playing with these screws for awhile, but cannot figure it out. I loosen them and then try to tighten them down selectively, but I am not making progress. The only way I can get the doors to close is to leave the outside screws too lose, and that cannot be.

Maybe I need to buy better hinges. I did email the Liberty hinge company but have not heard back. I will take a closer look at the hinges Cadyren recommended. I did keep the old hinges but nothing is written.

thank you so much for your suggestions.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Cadtren, the hinges you posted look different than what I am using. How do they work?

here are pictures of what I am trying to use.

Original Author
    4 years ago

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

The holes line up OK. They seem correct. But there is play between the middle screw and the two that are aligned. It seems that the middle screw can throw the others off....The only way I can get the doors to close is to leave the outside screws too lose, and that cannot be.

Have you tried leaving the middle screw out and tightening the outside screws down? How does that work?

The holes need to line up perfectly. Not just 'OK'.

Looking at the pix you posted, it looks like the hinge 'may not' be seated tightly against the rabbet on the door stile. And I can see the ghost marks of where the old hinge was positioned on the face frame stile so I know that much isn't an exact match.

Can you post a photo of the old hinges?

Were I you, I would try to find a duplicate of the old hinge and but it in your preferred finish. If you post a photo, maybe we can help find it. Home Depot, et all, have a limited selection/ limited brands.

• User
    4 years ago

A 60 year old abandoned system that barely has replacements has had lots of improvement in the intervening years. As in, don’t throw good money after obsolete and aged out. Put it towards replacement.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. I have tried a variety of screw combinations. I will post additional pictures later today.

Original Author
    4 years ago

The hinge did have something written on it

Original Author
    4 years ago

The symbol looks like an upside down "J" followed by a right side up "J". The space between the"J's forms an "N".

Original Author
    4 years ago

Did the pictures come through? If so, maybe you can enlarge

There is a patent number too. I needed 375 power glasses to see it. Not home right now, so cannot make out the last number of the patent, but the rest are 321212?

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

Do you have two good old good hinges? If so, when you get home, put them on one problem door, and see if the door fits properly. There are changes in hinges through the years, and its very hard to find an exact match to a hinge, although, it may look exact when you look at it.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Good idea. I will do it tomorrow afternoon.

I did go to a home show today and tried to speak with every cabinet company. Unfortunately most, is not all, of the folks manning the booths were not very knowledagle about, well, most anything,

• Super Lumen
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

For the hinge to work, it must be seated correctly. The inset part of the hinge must fit tightly against the cabinet door on one side and tightly against the stile on the other side. Just because the holes line up doesn't mean anything.

I recently redid a 1960s kitchen for a family member with 3/8 inset. I had to work on seating each door a bit. 10 mins - 20 mins of my time per door was worth it in this case, but if you have to pay someone a ton of $$ to work on this for you it probably isn't worth it.

Oh and yes: Liberty hardware is utter trash.

Original Author
    4 years ago

While I will look more closely tomorrow, what brand hinges did you use on the remodel? Did you fill in and drill new holes? I am willing to put in the time to make this work.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

You have stained cabinets, it wont be easy to fill in and drill new holes, without causing the doors to look bad. That is easily done if you have painted cabinets.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Taking into consideration your comments and suggestion, I took a much closer look at all the hinges - new and old.

Some of the Liberty hinges are not sitting as tight at the inset as the old hinges. The outside of the hinge that screws to the cabinet is also off slightly which is why a shadow of the old hinge is visable. Additionally, the entire hinge sits farther away from the doors than the older hinges. All of these variances are very slight, but when combined they make a hugh difference. Oddly enough, not all of the new hinges fit the same, hence being lucky with the first two I bought. Even though they must stamp out these hinges, they are not the same.

The question still remains as to what I am going to do.

I called Amerock and they said they would consider sending me samples to try. A representative from one of the local kitchen cabinet companies at the home show yesterday recommended a local hinge company. I am going to go there to see if they can identify the manufacturer of the old hinges and can offer up a better replacement. Internet searches have still not provided any identification of the old hinge manufacturer's logo.

Please let me know if you can think of any other ideas or suggestions.

• yvonnecmartin
    4 years ago

My daughter had several doors in her house that wouldn't stay closed. She hired a locksmith to fix the door locks, thinking that was the problem. Instead he worked with the hinges, both at the door frame and the door itself to fix all the problems. This suggests to me that you need to find someone who understands the mechanics of door hinges to work with you, not some hardware jockey or cabinet salesman, but a real thoughtful professional. That said, I have no clue how you find someone like that. Maybe that person is a cabinet maker, maybe an Amish carpenter.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH