Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

3 feet tall thornless rose?

dianela7analabama
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am looking for a 3 to 4 feet tall thornless (almost thornless) to cover up my large propane tank. My neighbor has commented on what an eyesore the tank is. I am planning on using a clematis and some lattice to camuflaje it a a rose. I understand the propane people do not want to be shredded while refilling my tank so I am hoping to find something close to thornless and not too tall so it doesn’t interfere much with the filling up process. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Dianela

Comments (31)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Dianela, I have to cover up window wells, so I understand part of your problem--though I don't have to worry about propane people, our big AC unit is right in there with the darn window wells of the basement. I have lattices in front of the AC, and grow my cucumbers on the lattices--pretty hilarious, but it works. The AC people come before I start the cukes. The roses I use for camo are pretty thorny, and that is a problem. Brother Cadfael, which I grow in another area is almost thornless, but he tends to be large, though is easy to prune down. I also use boxwood to cover up some of the window wells, and though boring, they work well. Good luck on all your new projects with your new home, and best wishes on finishing up with flying colors on your pathology residency. Yay! Diane

dianela7analabama thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Reine des Violettes?

dianela7analabama thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • sharon2079
    4 years ago

I have several thornless roses - Firefighter, Secret, Frederic Mistral, and Paul Neron.... but they might get to tall for you.... the best one that might work for you is Mademoiselle Cécile Brünner also known as the Sweetheart Rose.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

Barbra Streisand is nearly thornless, and extremely smooth stemmed, 3-4 ft tall. During pruning season, she is by far my favorite rose!

George Burns is my thorniest, no propane thieves to worry about near him.

dianela7analabama thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Diane on all the wishes wishes. I will look into the boxwood sine they will be evergreen and work all season long. I would love to grow a beautiful Brother Cadfael like yours. I did not know it was almost thornless, that is great to hear. I am actually very heavy handed with my pruning :) so I can consider a bigger rose that accepts heavy pruning.

Thank you Vapor I will look up Reine des Violettes. I think I have seen her before online and loved her, but maybe passed on it because it is a once bloomer? Maybe if that is the case the clematis can help with color.

Do any of you grow Beverly ? I have never been into hybrid teas, but I have heard it is low in thorns and my local place has it.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ohhh Thank you Sharon, I actually have a baby Cecile B in my woods which the deer pruned to the ground. It has never been able to grow taller than a few inches there so I didn’t know it was smooth. Maybe I can transfer her. Thank you!

Barbara S looks wonderful in your picture BenT and I love that color. Thanks for mentioning her, I did not know it was thornless because I have never selected for it in my garden. LOL propane thieves is not something I had considered before :p it would be funny to see someone trying to steal some propane in the night while trying to dodge all those sharp needles. They may even consider a change of jobs after that.

4 years ago

Reine de Violettes has a sort of lanky growth so may spill onto the tank. She is a rebloomer if dead-headed and well fed. I can't say anything about health as mine is yet to go in the ground. Soon I hope. CB defoliates in my beds, but blooms constantly and leafs out again quickly.

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ohh Vapor I did not realize it could re-bloom. I LOVE those blooms in Reine de Violettes. I will look in the old threads see if I can find anything on blackspot resistance otherwise I think I am smitten and want her. I am also planning on having Teasing Georgia in the vicinity and their colors would contrast beautifully. Thank you!

4 years ago

Great minds think alike. She is going on my metal fence with either TG or Jayne Austin. : ))

• toolbelt68
    4 years ago

A big box store sells a 6 ft. x 6 ft. Pressure-Treated Cedar-Tone Wood Fence Panel Kit that would really hide the tank. You could even cut it down to size if it’s to high. One for the side/end of tank (depending on the size of the tank) and another for the long side. Install one with hinges so it can be opened when refilling if needed.

They also sell a 4 ft. x 4 ft. White Vinyl Privacy Fence Panel Screen Enclosure that should work.

Check around for the best prices…..

Don’t forget to tell the neighbor what is wrong with their place…. just saying… lol

dianela7analabama thanked toolbelt68
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

=) hah Vapor that’s great to hear. Sometimes I wonder if my combos will clash instead of contrast lol. I love your garden so if you also thought it would look good that gives me confidence.

Toolbelt and Sultry your posts were so funny. =p lol instead of being defiant I had already rushed to assure her I would do something to cover it. I’ll have to learn to be less of a pushover.

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

You asked who has Beverly. I do. I do not remember is she has thorns or not. I will have to look tomorrow if I remember. She has a great scent and makes a nice cut flower. In fact, I like her so much I bought a second plant.

I spray my roses for black spot so I don't know her health for a no spray. She does not seem to be bothered too much by regular thrips, but if you have Chili Thrips in your area she will attract them..... in fact she is my barometer to when I need to spray for them.... however, I just got my swirskii preditory mites and am keeping my fingers crossed that I can control the chili thrips. We got our banker pepper plants last Sept. at our rose society meeting and we just got our swirskii two weeks ago..... I will keep people informed on that on my other thread..... but I did want to warn you about the CT's and Beverly.

dianela7analabama thanked sharon2079
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

I dont have Chili Thrips here yet so she might not either...prob just a matter of time though lol.

dianela7analabama thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • toolbelt68
    4 years ago

Remember to leave room for the tank to be removed should it be necessary. They empty them first but they still have to get their equipment to the tank.....

dianela7analabama thanked toolbelt68
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Sharon. I think I only have regular thrips and they are horrendous. Thinking chilly thrips are worse is just terrifying. I hope the predatory mites take care of the thrips. please keep us posted.

Sultry I hope we don’t get those, between the regular thrips, blackspot and Japanese beetles I am a crazy lady lol.

Toolbelt thanks for mentioning it that detail :). I will leave some extra space.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

I’m sorry I can’t think of a Rose right now but I wanted to say how kind you are to take her kinda rude feelings into consideration! 😬. I mean who says that? Even if she said it nicely I can’t imagine the gall it would take . Anyway I agree , make sure you ask when she will take care of something too ! Ha . I mean come on a propane tank is a necessity!

Toolbelt l love how your mind works and think your input and ideas are so valuable on the forum !! :)

dianela7analabama thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hahah Lily thank you. Yes it is funny how people are some times, but I agree it isn’t the most beautiful thing to look at lol. We do use it and need it tho so it stays. I will create an enclosure and it will be one more reason to buy more roses =). I already ordered Princess Kate clematis also for the area. How is your new garden coming along? I can’t wait to see your beautiful new garden soon. Hah you even have a new cute little helper this year.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

I’m so excited to see my roses bloom . My clematis are barely coming alive ! I really don’t know if they like it here or not . If they hate my area., that’ll be really sad as you know how pricey they can be ! My palantine roses are in a race to see who opens first . Im halfway done with the only bed I’ll have in the backyard grass . If I didn’t have family visiting this week I would be ready to show it off !!

My little garden helper is going to eat us out of food I can just tell 😂 better start growing my own veggies !

dianela7analabama thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

=) aww they are both cute little angels. Hope your family visit is fun. I am sure the clematises will love it there even if you need to give them a bit more of shade. I am excitedly waiting to see my Margaret hunt this year. Thank you for recommending her. Good thing California has great year round weather, you can probably grow lots of veggies =)

• sabalmatt_tejas
    4 years ago

i suggest ‘lynnie’ by Kim Rupert. Healthy, thornless and everblooming.

dianela7analabama thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Sabalmatt! This is a rose I wasn't familiar with and it seems like an excellent rose for my black spot area. Thank you very much.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

I have Belinda’s Blush, which is totally thornless sold by Antique Rose Emporium. But what about if you do a climber on a lattice fence put up to hide it? Peggy Martin has zero thorns. The other roses I have with zero thorns are Reine de Violettes, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Valentine and Marie Pavie. Very low thorn count roses are Climbing Pinkie, Paul Neyron, Lyda Rose, Excellence von Schubert, Maggie, and Rosette de Lizzy. Roses advertised as low thorn, but which seem reasonably thorny to me are Star of the Republic, Madame Alfred Carrie, Perle d’Or and Reve d’Or.

dianela7analabama thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • weekend gardener
    4 years ago

Ducher might be another option. Not many thorns and those present are small. Very healthy without spraying and stays well foliated to help hide the offending tank. Plus the creamy white flowers are pretty and fragrant.

dianela7analabama thanked weekend gardener
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

I think an evergreen shrub for year-round coverage is a good idea - then you can also plant roses in front of the shrubs! And, agree that the comment from the neighbor was completely unnecessary, especially given how lovely your yard is. But, if planting things around the tank would be a fun project for YOU, go for it!

dianela7analabama thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • beebeebeeleaves
    4 years ago

Iceberg! Love Iceberg rose!

dianela7analabama thanked beebeebeeleaves
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    4 years ago

if you are certain that you want a rose, my answer would be Marie Pavie. Iceberg would be great, too, but mine do have more thorns than I expected. But if you want something to hide the tank, I would agree with Cyndita: plant an evergreen shrub. Or build a structure.

dianela7analabama thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    4 years ago

Iceberg will black spot here.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

A structure like a white trellis with a beautiful rose like Teasing Georgia

dianela7analabama thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

I was going to suggest Marie Pavie also... so I second it and would add Vineyard Song. I do not recall V.S. having thorns.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.168046

dianela7analabama thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you garden friends you have given me much to think about. I will research all the roses mentioned here, I am trying to do a spray free garden here and my blackspot pressure is really high. I will also go look at fencing structures and evergreens. I am not opposed to either solution. I greatly appreciate your suggestions and will update this post when I mange anything in that spot.

sincerey,

Dianela