Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisarh04

7 different floors in one house.

lisarh04
4 years ago

We are fixing up a house built in 96 and need some ideas on how to best deal with all of the mismatched flooring. We have parquet in the foyer, dining, hall, and 2 bedrooms; carpet in the living room and 2 bedrooms; a different tile in each of our 3 bathrooms; tile in the kitchen; and another tile in our sunroom/playroom. then we also have blue tile and parquet around our fireplace. Our goal is just for the house to look like it all goes together. I would especially like to get rid of the carpet in the living room, but it connects to tile in The kitchen and parquet in the foyer. We we’re thinking maybe adding wood in the living room and trying to stain the parquet to match?

Comments (23)

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Looking in from the front door:

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

from the dining into the kitchen:

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kitchen tile (looking from the side of the house with 2 parquet bedrooms)

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The playroom attaches to the kitchen:

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

kids bathroom

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tile we are considering for the master bath

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

Different tile in each bathroom is fine, that is where you get to play with some fun tile. I'd keep the main areas that connect to the parquet floor all the same/same color. Do wood flooring and a transition like this... stain all to match..

• PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The bathrooms are fine IMO. I expect bathrooms to have tile in them, and not the same in each bathroom. I personally like all of the living area floors to flow, including the kitchen. The amount of work it will take to refinish the parquet I think you should just do all new floors - instead of just doing another floor in the living room that doesn't match the rest.

I would just keep saving until you can do it the right way. No sense in patching in room by room - it's just going to be an updated version of the mix match flooring you have now.

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All hardwood in the main living areas would definitely be my preference. I will just have to make peace with the carpet for a while if we wait. Would I carry the wood into the playroom and hall and then carpet the bedrooms that are parquet?

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

2 bedrooms and hall directly off of kitchen:

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

As everyone has already stated, the bathrooms are allowed to be their own design palaces. Leave them alone until you get a handle on the main living spaces.

The parquet looks to be a manufactured product (not site finished). That's not bad...it just means it could be quite thin. And thin means you might not be able to achieve a sand/refinish.

Before you go about trying to match the parquet, you better find out if it is reusable as a sand/refinish. The easiest thing to do is look for a floor vent. Pop it off and then measure the thickness of the parquet.

Thin parquet is 1/2" or LESS. The durable kind is 3/4" (like regular solid hardwood). The 'hints' that I'm seeing, for thin parquet, are the transitions between the tile and the carpet. Both the tile AND the carpet sit HIGHER than the parquet. That's what's telling me you probably have the thin stuff.

Tile normally sits 3/4" high when installed and so too with carpet. A solid 3/4" hardwood sits FLUSH with both tile and carpet...your parquet does not.

If you LOVE the parquet, then try to save it. And I mean you will be crying rivers of tears if you have to remove it. If not, ditch it. It is holding you back.

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I definitely don’t love it! I was just overwhelmed by the amount of flooring that we’d need to replace. Especially since im stuck with the ugly carpet until I can afford to do everything at once.

• Lily
    4 years ago

Following. I also have 7 different colors going on and 4 types of surface (brick, tile, carpet and wood).

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Ignore the bathroom floors. They are fine/fully acceptable. Deal with the parquet and the tiles. If you work with a solid hardwood you can add more at a later date.

If you can't afford everything at once, then leave as much alone as possible. That could mean leaving the bedroom carpets alone - for now.

Are you on concrete slab or plywood subfloors with joists underneath (do you have a basement)?

• PRO
    Massey Interiors
    4 years ago

Agree, leave the bathrooms, I even don't mind carpet in the bedrooms as long as it is all the same. I would do hardwood everywhere else. You will need to do all of the hardwood at the same time, it is the only way to get the stain to match.

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We have concrete slab underneath. the playroom is an enclosed porch. Is it ok to carry wood into that room as well?

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is a drop from the kitchen into the playroom if that matters

• Chessie
    4 years ago

Since I personally prefer carpet in bedrooms, I would leave those alone. And the bathrooms are fine too, I have different tile in my two bathrooms and it looks fine to me.

• sandk
    4 years ago

Have you checked the carpeted rooms for parquet underneath? Look around a floor vent as SJ McCarthy suggested or lift a corner of carpet in a closet.

• lisarh04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is concrete underneath the carpet.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Try matching the type of parquet in all the rooms where you want wood but have none. Then sand and stain it all to match. Another great dramatic look is to stain it all black.

Living & Dining Space · More Info

living room · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the parquet is not worth keeping we put that in a house once because it was the cheapest floor possible at the time. It does not take stain well and is a real PITA to sand for stain. IMO you would be better off doing all LVP than that mish mash of floor everywhere. I agree bathrooms can be different but IMO only the master works best.