Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

Theoretical Granite suggestions :) join in

salonva
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

These are the samples of the cabinet finishes.

The wood one is the island finish , the white. (white dove) is the perimeter top and bottom. The floor is what is shown.

In my mind, I had pictured titanium granite with a light (maybe white, maybe cream, tbd) backsplash.

So now that I am actually getting this done- cabinets should be here within the next week or two... I am seriously looking at granites. I went to one place and decided to let them show me what they would suggest (because I usually steer them and thought it would be nice to see a suggestion) --

1-she showed me a lovely typhoon bordeaux which had a whiter background. It actually looked really good, but I thought it might be too busy.

2- Also showed be a narcarado (sp) quartzite which was interesting but too specific with the tones.

3- White Ice granite which to my surprise looked pretty good with everything. Editing to add, it was just so different from what I pictured. I did schedule to go back on Friday to look at the stones again and will probably take pix. duh.

They did not have titanium.

Looking at my cabinets and flooring, do you think a dark granite is the way to go? ( I do have concerns that the island will be pretty dark with the dark wood and dark granite but I THINK I like that?).

I have called around, and of course the 3 very large yards I went to did not have titanium but I have found one nearby that does.

Just thought before I go on more wild goose chases I would see what you thought.

FWIW the island is only going to be about 5 feet long by 3 feet wide.

I know I am asking this in a vacuum but just curious as to your gut reactions.

I need to fixate on something besides corona.

Oh and I am hoping to get this figured out within the next few days.

Comments (17)

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well to update I went to the granite place nearby and looked at the titanium. It looked good, but now I am even more confused. The lighter granites looked good but I think it was just not what I was envisioning.

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you I appreciate your thoughts on this. I am anguishing over this way too much I guess. They are all good options I guess? The looks will be so so different and I am honestly not sure which I prefer. What threw me a bit was at 2 of the granite places, ( even the one that had the titanium) they said the dark granites made it close in.

So hard to decide. hoping for input?

• AFritzler
    4 years ago

Yes dark colours can make spaces feel smaller and often they do, but they also can make a huge statement.

I think in general people tend to shy away from dark colours because they are afraid of a room feeling smaller, but I think that is kinda a "safe" thing to do.

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well it is not a large kitchen, but the perimeter will be white cabinetry and it;s just the island which is dark stain. The rest of the area is pretty open where table is. It just made me wonder because I said I was open to their suggestions but had thought of a dark counter top and they pretty much only showed me lighter ones.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I don't think I'd like a dark counter so much.

I haven't looked in awhile but fell in love with what GF chose for her kitchen: Cambria Berwyn...

But I like a lot of the Cambria options...maybe bellingham if you want something busier....

salonva thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

If it helps, Candice Olson would always coordinate her flooring with her counters in kitchens to tie them together.

salonva thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

My suggestion....Typhoon Bordeaux

salonva thanked nicole___
  • PRO
    Plazza Natural Stone
    4 years ago

I think Typhoon Bordeaux or something in the Bordeaux family would look great, and add texture, not be too busy. I would go for a simple backsplash with it though. But if you truly think it is too busy keep looking. Something like Millenium Cream might work, but might coordinate almost too well..

salonva thanked Plazza Natural Stone
  • salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

oh wow that visual is so good! yes, there was a lovely typhoon bordeaux. It did look good. I think I stupidly just don't like the name?? how silly. I like the one shown with more white background. Some are more tan and while they are lovely they don't speak to me.

I so appreciate the suggestions. really. I am supposed to meet tomorrow. Have to check because some counties here in Pennsy are REALLY shutting down for a bit. I need a countertop but I get it--- who knows what is going to happen with my kitchen. Thankfully we did not start demo. OY

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I have a smaller kitchen than you (I assume b/c there is definitely no room for even a cart much less an island!) with light cabinets and dark granite. I don't think the granite closes it in at all - In fact the space feels roomier than it did before the remodel (the restoration of a window helped with that too).

But I do agree that you need to pick something with tones that agree with the tones in your floor, especially if it is at all pinkish beige. That should help you narrow it down. Get some samples of the stones to look at in your house if you can.

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, I went back today (and had DH with me this time) to look again at what I had seen and to look at some others. I had in my mind, after seeing Nicole's lovely visual, to reconsider the typhoon bordeaux. I think I had remembered it differently because when I looked again, it had very little of the white and mostly brown or tan. I did not love it. We looked again at the nacarado quartzite. I had misremembered it too. It really looked good. DH to my shock, really liked it. Looked at a few others but decided nacarado was looking great. We got a chunk to bring home, which has been so helpful. I was concerned in the warehouse that mostly it looked great but occasionally wasn't sure about the flooring with it. So now I have a chunk and have moved it around our kitchen and it looks superb. So I feel like I have made a major decision. It's very subdued but with a good amount of interest.

Here is a picture of the sample in my home on my flooring. I think it's awesome. (the stock images of the stone are so variable and I could not find one that looked like MY slab.

So here you have it-Nacarado Quartzite and my floor. Yes the cabinets look great with it too. The floor was the wild card. I think the photo represents well, but in any case, to my (and DH"s) eyes, in my house, in real life, I am loving it.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Monochromatic, using only one color of the brown spectrum. Does not pick up the dark brown island color.

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Nicole I appreciate your comment, but actually it is less monochromatic than it may appear in the photo. (the floor is also not so greatly represented....guess I am a poor photographer!). Honestly there are deeper shades of brown in it that nicely complement the darker door I will try to take a pic with all the elements. Trust me in person- looks awesome. (just trying to think about wall color but one step at a time)

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a somewhat better (maybe?) photo of all. Hope I am not crazy but it looks good to my eyes. I think you can see a bit of the darker in the stone.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I would like to see a photoshop of the cabs, counter and floor in place. On my computer it looks good, just wondering about the effect of an entire kitchen with the choices. I can't do it, else I would offer!

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio the existing cabinets.counters everything is going to be demo'ed. Also, the lighting is horrible and will be greatly enhanced to reality :) so no photoshopping available that I know off. But thank you for your comment.

The layout of the kitchen is an L shape of all the white cabinetry and then the dark island kind of in front.