Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_959940524

Anyone growing Dioon Edule have tips?

_artz
4 years ago

Hi everyone! I just brought home a beautiful Dioon Edule and don't have much experience growing cycads. Are any of you growing them as houseplants? If so, any tips on soil, water and light would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to repot her asap! Thanks!

Comments (10)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    4 years ago

This is marvelous news (to me) - I've never thought one could have a dinosaur-contemporary plant as a houseplant. I think I'll go celebrate this wonderfulness by going outside and digging up an invasive Oregon grape that's threatening the garden.

• subtropix
    4 years ago

And I always wanted to grow an Oregon grape! Is't that one a native too?

I have a LOT OF DEER, so that plant always intrigued me.

The theme of my yard is paleobotany (dinosaur-friendly plants). So, in Zone 7/NJ this means Dawn Redwoods (Metasequoia), Gingko trees, Cephalotaxus (Japanese Plum Yews), lots of ferns, Magnolias, and even a Monkey Puzzle (Araucaria).. The cycads, I have to protect in the garage. They need a very loose soil..., I like to add a LOT of orchid bark mix, perlite, and coarse sand. Mixes that dry out fast without retaining too much water are the goal. Having said that, I water virtually every day in heat of summer (and almost never in the Winter, btw!) And unlike palms, they don't thrive in very snug pots..., so don't under pot them, they like space in the container..., as long as the mix is very well-draining.

Good luck!

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

I have a very young Dioon spinulosum that I keep strictly indoors in west window year round. it only throws 2 fronds a year. do not let it go dry in the pot: it'll drop fronds.

however even if you loose most of them, it can regrow. but It takes time.

mine is in sort of gravelly free draining mix, on self-watering wick in a very small pot, as I don't want it to grow big !..I've had it for several years. it needs as much sun as you can give it!

• _artz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you @subtropix & @petrushka (7b)! I just repotted in very well draining mix. Appreciate your advice! Good luck to yours too!

• shahres
    3 years ago

Can you explain the soil mix - wat do you use for a well draining mix?

• _artz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@shahres my Dioon is doing well in a mix of cactus soil, orchid bark, and a little extra perlite!

• petrushka (7b)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

you can also use coco-chips (coconut shell chips) instead of bark (or together with it).

and of course coarse perlite.

• billy_flora
    3 years ago

Will having it indoors make you sick? I just purchased one, but am scarred after reading all these articles on how toxic this plant is. “Lots of carcinogens, highly toxic, etc” it’s beautiful & fascinating but I’m terrified of longer term health problems

• Phoenix Rising (Zone 7a/b, NJ)
    3 years ago

I have lots of highly toxic poisonous plants, and cats, nobody has ever died from them. But truth be told, I don't grow my cycads in the house..., to BIG and TOO prickly!