Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonrobison

Microbevel or edge-edge for engineered wood? what looks best?

J Robison
4 years ago

Hello!

I've noticed some engineered wood with a microbevel and other which is installed edge-edge. In your opinions, what is a better look? And is one considered "cheaper" than the other??? Also, anyone have experience with Grato or Mafi engineered wood? thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Edge to edge is better. Bevels are a cleaning nightmare and they make (some) real wood look fake. I have prefinished wood with bevels on the sides, but not edges; I’d do site finished floors if I ever had another choice.

• Unique Wood Floors
    4 years ago

First of all, there are very few options of edge to edge(square edged) prefinished wood floors left on the market. I say it is a personal preference question rather than good or bad, The bevels give wider wood floor plank feel and help to ease the board height differences. Edge to edge ones requires more precise wood machine tech. Hope this will help.

• PRO
    WoodCo
    4 years ago

If you are purchasing a pre-finished wood floor, it should have a micro-bevel. This is because you will not be sanding the flooring after installation, therefore the micro-bevel compensates for any slight differences in your slab. Some people specifically request a pre-finished floor with squared edges, this is not recommended, but can be done. Neither option is 'cheaper' looking. A squared edge product is the traditional solid, sand and finish flooring look.

We are a wood flooring manufacturer here in the USA, feel free to visit us online - www.woodco.com. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

Hope this helps, and stay safe!

-- Debbie George

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

I would say 99% of people with factory finished hardwoods use a bevelled edge product. The reason is given by WoodCo. It LOOKS better after install because you CANNOT SEE the slight variations between planks.

A square edge factory finish is a difficult beast to get 'right'. So difficult it rarely works. So rarely does it work there are some professionals who will not install it without a waiver signed by the homeowner stating they are FULLY AWARE the slight variations between planks WILL BE VISIBLE and they are OK with it.

Once the waiver is signed the installer will go ahead. Rarely do the homeowners accept the result without making some sort of complaint.

Go for bevelled. It is much easier to 'like' once installed.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022