Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_briggs45

How to match bedding and decorate with Karastan Rug

Elizabeth Briggs
4 years ago

So, we bought a secondhand Karastan “Golden Bokhara“ rug and I‘m planning on putting it in our bedroom (where the worst carpet in the house is 😋). But I can’t figure out what bedding to buy that would look nice with it. I would also like to paint either the whole room or an accent wall. I just can’t figure out patterns or color schemes that would look nice with the rug. It’s kind of a burnt orange/golden brown type of color, if the pictures look off because of lighting. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Comments (30)

• Jilly
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What decor style(s) do you like? What style is your furniture? How is the rest of your house decorated?

Such a beautiful rug ... I’d let it be the star of the room. I’d most likely do warm toned and earthy neutrals around it.

This isn’t exactly the style I mean, it’s more minimal than I prefer, but just to show soft neutrals and nice textures with a similar rug:

But ... if you’re wanting something much more traditional, then I’d possibly bring in other richer colors, patterns, etc.

It’s just hard to say for sure without knowing more about your aesthetic and preferences.

Elizabeth Briggs thanked Jilly
  • Elizabeth Briggs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is a very pretty idea. I had thought maybe cream colored bedding would be best but didn’t know if there would be some color or pattern that would compliment the rug that I couldn’t think of; I’m no interior designer ☺️. True that the rug should probably be the star of the show. Honestly, I don’t know how I would describe my aesthetic—I’m pretty open minded. Any ideas are welcome!

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

Almost anything works with oriental rugs. That's the great thing about them.

What style do you like? Scandinavian? Mid-century modern? Traditional? Boho? Industrial? Farmhouse? This might give you information about what color schemes you like, e.g. high contrast versus neutrals.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is a favorite look mixing a similar rug with a more modern bed etc.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

some inspiration:

Leeward Renovation - Bedroom · More Info

Alta Canyada Bedroom · More Info

Nadia · More Info

• ncmomtothree
    4 years ago

I love Karastan rugs. I have 7 of them and they wear like iron! I agree that you can match any style to them-you can let them be the star or they can be floor jewelry. I have used them with both traditional and modern furniture and they seem to tie rooms together very well. If you see them for sale and they are in good condition you should snap them up. Find a reputable cleaning service and have it professionally cleaned and it will be like new. Sadly, I believe Karastan is cutting production of its classic wool rugs as people turn to non wool materials and lower price points. Good luck!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Love the rug! I grew up with Orientals all though the house and I encourage clients to start with the rug first. Your vintage Bokhara is beautiful and very much in style today.

Pine Cone Hill

• houssaon
    4 years ago

What a gorgeous rug! Teal, green and blues would compliment the colors in the rug. I can see ecru bedding and bold color walls. Your room could be filled with color.

• Elizabeth Briggs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you guys so much! I’ve never visited this site before and you all have helped me tremendously with ideas. Hope you are all staying safe at your [chances are beautifully decorated] homes! 😌

• Elizabeth Briggs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And if anyone else as any other ideas, keep ‘em coming 👍

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here are a couple eclectic looks. And one with neutral bedding and your rug.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

William Sonoma has the set With peacock in a gold and one in whiter background. It is large print so you could pair it or something like it for a more boho/eclectic look.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

I think we all have major rug envy. I know I do. 😄

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is their web page.

• pricklypearcactus
    4 years ago

If it were my room, I'd either go with white bedding, maybe textured or I might try to embrace the bohemian look with some warm colors and pattern. Here are a couple ideas of duvets.

Pottery Barn Renee Candlewick Duvet

Pottery Barn Selena Duvet

Pottery Barn Valencia Duvet

Pottery Barn Textured Jacquard Duvet

Pottery Barn Hadley Ruched Duvet

• Elizabeth Briggs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You guys are awesome. And I like the paint ideas like the serene grayish/teal color and a very light grey. And the bedding ideas are great. I was just wondering what you think of a dark teal accent wall? Like these? Cream on the others. Just an idea.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

First pick bedding. You can't pick a wall color until that is known. Teals are pretty with rusty oranges, but then that would make finding bedding harder. Bedding is key element. Figure that out and the rest will flow easier. Loads of paint colors, so that is easier.

• Elizabeth Briggs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

True. Okay, thanks for the advice.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I don't understand suggesting teal.

• Elizabeth Briggs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, okay. First of all, I should have mentioned we are on a tight budget so I’m working with what I’ve got 🤷‍♀️ But, my thinking on that was possibly some very plain cream bedding and I was looking at introducing graphic pattern like the bedspread Flo posted. So, I found these pillows that have teals, burnt oranges, navy etc. Also, the pictures I posted of the rug are not my floor—The rug covers the majority of the room but the small amount of carpet that will be showing is a very thin navy carpet. And we don’t have a headboard and have dark grey curtains and euro pillows so I was thinking dark grey shams for those to sit closest to the wall. Or maybe the golden brown color to bring more of the rug color into the bedding. Maybe in not going in the right direction, idk. It was just an idea.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

love the rug too.. can you show pics of the bedding pieces that you have and want to use with the new rug.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Those pillows don’t work with that rug.

• Elizabeth Briggs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh ok. Well, the search continues...

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Bored this morning and playing around. I was looking something up on the Pottery Barn site and saw these things. I like the patterns and textures, as well as being compatible to your gray curtains (if you keep them), the bit of your navy carpet, and the warm tones of the rug.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

When I saw that carpet the first thing that popped in my head was teal walls and a linen look bedding. I like the bedding Jinx suggested.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Love that mood board @Jilly

• mick50
    4 years ago

I like navy (or a blue-gray) and rust with your rug. Use the solid bedding you liked in white, cream or tan. You might add an inexpensive fabric headboard.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

These pillows would work

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH