Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_madden2

Foundation and Shutter Color

Sarah M
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are in the process of completing cosmetic updates to our newly purchased home and could use some advice on our exterior. We plan to limewash the outside brick and give it a weathered look and swap out the shutters for a new color. We'll also need to fix the bright blue foundation. Do you have recommendations for shutter color and what to do about the foundation? The door is a nice shade of cornflower blue, and we'd like to keep it if it coordinates with the new shutters. We're also planning to take off the storm door. Any suggestions welcome!

Comments (36)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

You can see that shutters are not really appropriate on your size windows, so I would remove them and paint the siding. Keep the white trim.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

Congratulations on your new home! As was mentioned I would remove the shutters, keep the storm door but paint it the same color as the door( not baby blue), but most importantly get some professional landscaping. It will be a game-changer!

Sarah M thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@grapefruit1_ar Thanks! Can you say more about the storm door? it's driving us nuts so we're pretty set on taking it off.

@BeverlyFLADeziner The house was recently painted so we're not planning to change the white color. Does that change your opinion on the shutters? Thanks!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Do a full glass storm door, and paint it the same nice color as your front door.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Paint the full glass storm door TRIM the same color as the front door!

• kristaj
    4 years ago

Your house question reminded me of this beautiful renovation. Canadian House and Home.
    Photo and link attached.

https://houseandhome.com/video/bungalow-exterior-facelift/

Sarah M thanked kristaj
  • grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

Shady Willow answered your question about the storm door. Storm door usage is based on the way you live and likely where you live. We live with cold winters so the storm door is another layer of insulation from the cold. We also have a screen insert so that we can open the interior door on warm days in order to allow light, warmth, and air come in. We would not live without the storm door. You have many color options, dark red, sage, medium blue, fuchsia, etc.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner I just noticed that you fixed the crazy bushes! We can't wait to tackle the landscaping. I can't fathom why anyone trimmed the bushes like that...

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I agree the shutters should go. A good quality full glass storm door would be a big improvement. You can paint the foundation a medium to dark grey, brown or green. If your bushes are yews that can take a hard pruning to bring them back to proper size and a better shape. In general, the top should be smaller than the bottom. Go in deep for a lot of cuts to open them up to grow green lower. Use a sharp hand pruner for best results. Next year they will look good.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

shutters have no business on a bay window. If you remove any of them, make it those. if you want to keep the upper ones, at least make them the right size (if closed they should fully cover the window. which is also why they should NOT be used w/a large bay window)

I like this color. do black and keep your blue door

And both of these are done with Romabio

agree about those bushes. they need to goooooo

portico ideas

I like this one w/the white railing instead of your black iron one. do something w/the peak too. maybe some cedar shakes or some diff paint color

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Are those tiny windows at ground level behind the bushes?

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, that’s the basement

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. :- I love these ideas, thank you! We already purchased some Romabio like wash! We’re going to test it out on a fireplace before we tackle outside

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Many of you have suggested removing some or all of the shutters. My only hesitation is that many of the houses in my area are the same garrison colonial style and have shutters (including on the bay window). Does that matter?

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

No. Your house will look better with removed shutters.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Just because someone else did it does not make it right. Those windows should not have shutters. I think I would start by painting the siding a nice graygree to work with the brick then see if you want to paint the brick since IMO that would be my last choice. What is your from door made of? If you only use the storm to have a screen in the summer you can get a phantom screen.All those over grown bushes need to be removed for sure and paint the foundation the same as the siding and then get to work on the landscaping.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would you suggest painting the foundation white to match existing siding? We don’t have short term plans to paint the siding.

• Denita
    4 years ago

Sarah M, please read this very brief article why your shutters don't work on your windows:

https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

Once you know how shutters are supposed to look and which windows to put them on it becomes really obvious when they are too small or on the wrong windows. Shutters do not go on bay windows ever. Your shutters should look functional, even if they aren't. It is very, very common for builders and others to put on the skinny, too small shutters on the wrong windows because they either don't know the right way or don't care how wonky it looks. There are entire generations of people that have never seen proper shutters on the right windows - which is so sad to me. Be the leader. Either remove entirely all the shutters (my preference for your home) or replace the shutters on the appropriate windows only and remove the rest. It makes a world of difference. Hopefully everyone in town follows your lead :)

BTW, you can beef up your window trim if you feel something is missing when you remove the shutters.

• plf12652
    4 years ago

If you do go with a full glass screen door (“Hollywood” style), make sure you ask if it can be painted before ordering. My replacement Hollywood style door is white because it couldn’t be painted....factory applied finish. Even my longtime painter, who is excellent, said I shouldn’t paint it. Contractor ordered it and I never asked, or expected, that it might not be able to be painted!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Do paint the basement/foundation area either to match the siding or (my preference) to match the new brick color once the brick has been “washed”. I would soften the shape of the shrubs by trimming the sharp angles....then let them grow naturally for a while.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Please, no shutters, especially on bay window, they look sooooooo skimpy.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Celery. Visualization, Rendering images Thanks for the mockups! The storm door does look nice like that. We are not considering painting at this time, though, so the siding will stay white. We are planning to limewash the brick.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I would remove the shrubs completely and allow the natural light to enter the basement ..create an open bed with a border ...put down weed cloth ...and fill with white stone or pea gravel...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

If you post a picture of your home from the street giving a little view of the neighbors homes if possible so we can see how much room you have for landscaping ..and how to make the most of the space available....

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I am not as offended by the shutters as others..but they do offer valid reasons for removal...i also like the turquoise...

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Would paint the foundation a dark gray.

Would remove the shutters from beside the bay window but keep the upstairs shutters but consider painting them a medium or darker gray.

If the siding doesn't need painting, then don't paint it -- it's a really good color for the style of home.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you @suezbell! That's exactly our thinking - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, til we fix the things that ARE broke! Do you have any suggestions for upstairs shutter color?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

But if you do go with a new paint color that is darker...and a design with out shutters for a sleeker more modern look ...the whitewash will no longer be appropriate..

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@btydrvn Here are some more photos! We have no plans to paint so plan to make other decisions assuming we'll keep the siding white.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Were it mine, I'd remove the downstairs shutters altogether, paint the foundation a dark gray and paint both the upstairs shutters and the storm door a flat black. Keep the porch rail black.

Also, I like your eagle over the bay window.

I'd also trim the two larger shrubs to be the same height as the two shorter ones and keep them all trimmed at or below the bay window. ... and maybe not slope the top quite as much.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s an update! We plan to tackle the foundation in the next couple weeks. Thanks for everyone who gave feedback!

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Wow. That looks great. What color(s) are you considering for the doors?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

It looks good but I'm almost missing the blue color of the shutters.

• Sarah M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The door is still blue (it was open in the photo), as is the underside of the porch overhang. And... the foundation, which we’ll tackle next. The bushes are definitely coming out, it’s just a question of when. We will likely repaint the door, but haven’t decided on a color yet. Thanks for all your advice!!