Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_hawver

Need advice with exterior colors of my house!

Erin Hawver
4 years ago

I’m about to redo the paint, roof, and windows, so I can pretty much do anything! I’m stuck with what would look good. My heart is with the white stucco/black shingles but I’m not sure that would look right. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (8)

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

bump

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I like the look of black roofs but they capture heat. Do you live in a hot area?

This is a nice color roof by Owens Corning in Estate Gray. It would look stunning with white stucco.

New Owens Corning Roof in Sagamore Beach, MA · More Info

• Erin Hawver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That’s a gorgeous combo! I live in SoCal, so it can definitely get hot but it is rarely unbearable. I’m definitely not opposed to gray, I was considering as black can sometimes contrast too much. Thank you for the suggestion!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

With the house's contemporary styling, I would do casement windows without grids. If you remove the grids from your garage window and change out your light fixtures, it will go a long way toward making the house feel more contemporary as well.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Erin, that's false (about the heat thing). I'm in SoCal too and just did a very dark charcoal roof (cement tiles). They have a CCR rating on tiles meant just for dispersing heat. They also have a 'gel' type of underlayment that goes under the tiles. It's helps to keep the roof cool. Loor at Boral and Eagle roofing. I used the tiles from Eagle, and the gel thing from Boral. They also let you know what colors are available in your area.

I had mine done last summer.

my home is a bit on the spanish side, so I kept w/the cement tiles.

They looked much darker on the ground. once on the roof, they look like a light gray, so keep that in mind when choosing a color.
    I did the White stucco, very dark trim and some slight light gray accents. I have wood look garage doors and wood fencing.

basically used the bottom three. You could also use the Navy if you like.

So for your home, (and I love how your roof is angled) the first thing I see is the garage door window grilles. I'd replace those w/something a bit more modern looking. (u can order them on Amazon) Something like this, with the added carriage hardware, would update the door. (and you're going to paint it too!)

the next is the porch post. maybe beef it up a bit?

so here are some diff stucco colors and combos to give you an idea

Basic white but his has black windows and a newer modern garage door. See how the wood siding accent really warm up the exterior?

you could add wood to the underside of your front entry, maybe a wood door, or a wood post.

Dark gray stucco with black trim around the white windows.

again w/the wood. I love this one and think something like this would look great w/your home. notice the garage door windows

similar house to yours. light gray roof and dark gray/black stucco. the wood accents are perfect here.

I love this look

how about a blue/gray?

wood accents in the orange tone really compliment it well

• jck910
    4 years ago

Be careful choosing a roof color. Some of the new architectural shingles can come out looking like checkerboard (as I look out my window at a beige, brown, yellow, grey one). Ask the contractor he has used the ones you like and take a ride to look at them.

• Erin Hawver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow— these are all amazing suggestions! I truly appreciate the visuals!!!!