Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxlizzie

Help with plant ID, Please

gawdinfever Z6
4 years ago

I have three of these coming up in one of my flower beds. Not sure if this is something I planted, or it's weeds??

TIA

gawdinfever

Comments (40)

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This closeup may help, (hopefully).

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

Geographic location?

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

St. Louis, Missouri

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't think it is. I'll wait a few days and take a better picture!

Thank you!

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Were you growing any Verbena?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

I don't know. Right now, it looks kind of verbenaish to me, but maybe if you snap another picture of it in a few days, it will probably look like something else, unless somehow a Verbena snuck into your garden while you were looking the other way.😀 Don't know what it is it just 'reminds' me of verbena.

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree with about how they look, just bigger. Usually I grow most of my plants from seed, but in last few years trying to incorporate more perennials here and there. I have many beds! Last year I started lots of things from seed and bought none due to unforeseen surgery. I will also admit, my memory just ain't what it used to be! I've been known to forget and simply yank things. Not going to do this. It's leafing out more today, despite the frost we had last night. In a couple of days I'll take more pics. Whatever it is, it's coming up fast! I'll post pics in 2 or 3 days.

Thank you!!

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok; it's grown some, but not sure if this helps. I'd hate to yank it not knowing!.

Also; I noticed that it looks like an existing plant, because of last years stems (or so it appears)?

• dbarron
    4 years ago

Yes, it looks like verbena canadensis or maybe bonariensis.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Looks like nettle. Maybe Urtica urens?🥴

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I really don't believe that's a nettle. As well as the appearance being different U urens isn't perennial. But there's one sure way to find out.

Nepeta???

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm pretty sure Jay is right about the nettle. Googling pics looks just like the Urtica urens! Thanks so much!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago

I am another vote that it doesn’t appear to be nettle.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

I was thinking probably verbena from early on. It's on its way to flowering so just wait for that.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

I enjoy all your comments and think you are all awesome. Anyways, if you look closely at the indentation, it differs from Verbena. I don't know what it is at this point. The picture is too out of focus to capture any urticating hairs, if there was any lol.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Sorry, but it doesn't look at all like a nettle to me. As I said, Urtica urens is an annual. This plant is clearly a returning perennial.

Instead of just looking at pictures touch a leaf a finger tip. Does it sting you? (Don't worry, it wears off quickly)

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Urtica urens is not always annual. At least not around here. I just saw vast patches of it returning. I will go back and key it, to be absolutely sure. Anyhow, I'm no longer saying it's Urtica urens, but I don't think it is my first suggestion of Verbena either. Maybe Scrophularia complex something? 😬🌱

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

I'm going to get a professional ID on the 'U. urens' that returns. It doesn't make sense to me either. They have a resident botanist at the tallgrass prairie where it was. It's also stingless, very strange. I'm not sure, there are 2 maybe 3 variations of U. dioica here. The original European version, procera and gracilis. I wonder if dioica and urens could hybridize?

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Does the botanist live out on the prairie? Are they able to see when the grass is tall?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Perennial with no sting? - funny sort of Urtica urens.

Embo, I expect they use a prairiescope.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

(bitter old reclusive hermit here, GET OFF MY LAWN)
    Why all this recent humor? (not that I oppose, just that it seems way ratcheted up lately?)

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

I'm not crazy floral, if that's what you think. Why don't you fly over and see for yourself.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

I had that urens plant here for ID before, and it was agreed by all to be U. urens, but questions remained.

Also when I did have that 'urens' plant up here, approximately 1 year ago it was you floral who was adamant that it was a nettle. Gawdinfever, I'm sorry for taking this topic. We may have have to wait for a flower? Hey, maybe bats in the belfrey?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

The botanist has an office in the administration building. The grass gets tall along with many other native plants. I feel sorry for people that have never experienced a prairie, and have no notion of what a prairie really is.

https://youtu.be/oz9I2YwmV8M

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I will wait. I'm going to touch it today, like suggested. The curiosity is really getting me! lol

• dbarron
    3 years ago

We await your touch test. It certainly could be a nettle, but it probably isn't (imo).

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is NOT! I touched all three of them. The leaves are soft, but not fuzzy like nicotiana. Not much of a smell. Sometimes that helps me. Not with this one!

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Not to be wishy washy, but it's looking like maybe Glandularia canadensis. We'll wait for a flower. It's all good😆

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"Urtica urens is not always annual. At least not around here."

It's an annual regardless of where it is grown. "Vast patches of it returning" are far more likely to be seedlings germinated from previous seasons.

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jay, I would love for it be Glandularia canadensis ! lol We will see. I'm actually going to leave it and see what happens...

gardengal, That's what appears to have happened!

Thank you!

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Gardengal, again until I talk to an expert about supposed U. urens and stated anomalies, please don't assume that I don't know the difference between returning perennial growth and patches of germinating annuals.🤔😀

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, no blooms yet, but it's really growing, whatever it is!

I'm thinking weed...

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Did you ever check the stems to see if they were square? Probably not a mint but just to rule it out. Now, I really want to see it flower.

WORST ANSWER

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It does not, Jay.

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No blooms yet, but they sure shot up! They are about 3 ft now!

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Looking now like old, boring, white snakeroot, Ageratina altissima. What a chameleon this was.

• gawdinfever Z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think you are exactly right, Jay! Those suckers are getting dug up when it dries out here next week! Says they spread aggressively from rhizomes and seeds!

• dbs_zone5
    3 years ago

So it is spreading with rhizomes? Otherwise I would have guessed Verbena urticifolia, white vervain. And is white snakeroot really that bad? I've a;ways wanted some but haven't gotten to it yet. Figured it could keep pace with my zig-zag goldenrod. But if it's worse I better not!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!