Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_centeno

Oak Hardwood Flooring Color

Kim Centeno
4 years ago

We are installing oak hardwood floors and are torn on what color or shade works best. Including some photos here. We're going to repaint with the same creamy white color for all the walls and ceilings.

- Medium: This seems more classic and timeless. Also feels warm. Adds contrast.

- Light: Could brighten up the space, especially some rooms which are a bit darker. May be stained darker at some point.

Would love suggestions or advice.

Here are the options we are considering. Medium on the left and Light in the middle.

Another photo of the options Medium top vs. Light bottom.

Will replace carpet w/ oak throughout the whole house. Including in this study:

And in this living room:

Thanks!!!

Medium
Light

Comments (5)

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

I found the details of the Colonial Collection Hardwoods on their website. They recommend a glue-down format. This could get tricky if you are on a concrete slab in an older home (built BEFORE the mid 1990's).

I personally prefer a light floor but I'm not fond of the bleached out look. The medium colour is going to offer a 'classic' feel to your home. It will darken the interior by SEVERAL steps. So long as you are OK with that and have budgeted for MORE LIGHTING you will do just fine.

Be aware that wire brushed finishes LOVE to grab at dirt. One of our Houzzers discovered this when s/he purchased a whitish wood floor with a wire brush finish (very much like you 'light' option). The Houzzer found it VERY distressing to clean. The wire brush (that texture of the raised grain that feels SOOO wonderful) finish offers millions of little grooves for dirt to fall into.

The construction looks good but the installation could get VERY tricky if you are on a concrete slab. The carpet that is on there is keeping the slab from trapping moisture. When they test the slab (once the carpet is removed) the numbers will look 'good' (aka 'dry') but if this is an older slab (older than the mid-1990's) then there could be moisture that will be trapped and cause future failure.

Be VERY sure you investigate the slab thoroughly (again...assuming you are on slab) before purchasing a glue down hardwood floor.

Kim Centeno thanked SJ McCarthy
  • Kim Centeno
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I didn’t realize that the wire brushed finish traps dirt. That’s helpful and important to know as we live close to the ocean and might be tracking sand in the house.

• Kim Centeno
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Regarding the glue down installation, I will double check with our contractor. Thanks again!

• Lorie Butterly
    4 years ago

Curious what color and brand the medium colored flooring is? I am also searching for the right flooring. I prefer the medium one...light seems to trendy for me.

Please pass on medium colored information if possible. Thank you!!

• A N
    2 years ago

Hey ! So which color did you end up choosing? Definitely medium looks good