Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srk001

Couple Needs Help with Selecting Bedroom Wall Color

S K
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We're in the process of updating our bedroom and need advice on selecting a wall color. The current wall color was from the previous owner and we want to change it. We need help with the following:

• 1) What color to paint the walls that will go with the bedroom furniture, picture #1. My boyfriend and I have different tastes, and he bought the furniture before we moved in together. He's not willing to sell it....
  • 2) Can't decide if the new curtains work with the room (picture #2&3)? We're not set on the curtains and can return them if needed. Picture #2 is the true color of the curtains even though they look like a different color in the other pictures

We're not sure where to start, so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments (44)

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    4 years ago

Can you take a picture that includes the whole room? (Especially if we could see both the bed and the curtains together.) Is there any other furniture other than the bed, nightstand, and lamp? Do you like this bedding? How about the carpet? What don't you like about the current wall color? Are you going for a certain color family?

S K thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • S K
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA: I've uploaded additional pictures of the room that include the furniture, curtains, and rug color. We were thinking about maybe putting 2 white/office white tufted chairs and a small table by the windows once we found a wall color. As for color family, we're open! We were thinking grey, but not sure if that would work. Thanks for your help!

• Jean
    4 years ago

Maybe consider something like SW Silverpoint? Its a pale greyish greenish color. We have similar furniture to yours, eventually we will replace but no budget for it at the moment...

• S K
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Jean thanks for the recommendation! My boyfriend's style is traditional and I like glam and modern farmhouse. We're going with transitional since we both like it!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I would go with a nice off white. Since the carpet is decidedly warm, a cool gray wouldn't work. Perhaps you could change the lamps to something a bit more transitional. That alone would help update the very traditional furniture.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

I'd think about a four-poster canopy bed or just a simple upholstered headboard. Keep the lines clean and the colors fresh and inviting. Some ideas:

Private Residence in British Colonial style · More Info

Coastal Modern · More Info

Old Beach Road · More Info

S K thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • dsimber
    4 years ago

Getting back to your question based on keeping the furniture, I would think the window treatment needs to be same as wall color or bedding to make the room cohesive. Are you keeping this coverlet? Is it pink?

S K thanked dsimber
  • S K
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you all for the suggestions! :)

@katinparadise would an off white go with the curtains? Do you think the curtains match with the coverlet?

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors Unfortunately, we can't change the bedroom furniture. Maybe at a later date! As for wall color, what would you suggest? Do you think the curtains could go with the bed if we find the right wall color?

@dsimber we're open to getting a new coverlet! The actual comforter (not pictured) is the same color combo as the large pillows on the bed.

• My House
    4 years ago

.. · More Info

The curtains are too short. sorry

S K thanked My House
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

Sorry, misread that. The colors shown in these photos, though are pretty nice. Light gray/blues or taupes would be lovely.

S K thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • dsimber
    4 years ago

Hanging the drapes from the ceiling would look really nice. Are your pillow shams/comforter the same color as the current drapery panels?

• My House
    4 years ago

Re: wall color. I agree with a statement from above "cream" The wood is warm and a light warm paint color would compliment -

Get inspiration from RH pics....note the accessories (drapes, paint, rug, & dresser staging) https://www.restorationhardware.com/rooms/?id=144019&parentCatId=cat1600023&topCatId=cat780002&categoryId=cat3980404&sale=false#/144019-938032

Review the RH other bedroom pics for lamp ideas.... Consider tall mirror over the night stands for your glam and emphasize the feeling of a tall ceiling

https://www.restorationhardware.com/rooms/?id=144019&parentCatId=cat1600023&topCatId=cat780002&categoryId=cat3980404&sale=false#/144019-1212009

S K thanked My House
  • Jean
    4 years ago

Another option would be to put an area rug on top of the light beige rug, bring in other tones that way.

S K thanked Jean
  • dsimber
    4 years ago

Nice inspiration photos from RH. Good job, DK. Yes! Layers of cream would make the most of that wood color. Adding tall mirrors as well as taller placement of drapery hardware would help with scale of large furniture and the room! Do you like the idea of more stream-lined mirrors and lamps to move the room into the more transitional style you’ve chosen?

S K thanked dsimber
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

The curtains are very pretty. The coverlet could look a bit more upscale. Can you put a curtain panel with the coverlet and take a pic of both? The curtain color is hard to gauge. It looks gray, white and taupe. The coverlet definitely reads taupe.

S K thanked katinparadise
  • BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    4 years ago

Not sure where my response went, so I'll try again ...

I might go with a sage green on the walls, since as Benjamin Moore Herb Bouquet.

For the chairs, I would probably lean towards an ivory or off white over a white white, as the tones of the room are warm, which is nice in a bedroom. I would also add an area rug to define the seating area, possibly in a muted gold tone.

S K thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • hollybar
    4 years ago

I would look into the blue/green/gray shades (like SW Rainwashed or BM Silver Marlin) or possibly a taupe. Maybe a deep Ivory /cream but that higher contrast with the furniture will make that furniture even more prominent. Which,if you plan on layering up the room with art and accessories, could look quite attractive. RE:the drapery. On my monitor the drapes don't seem to be working well with the carpet. Nor does the style of them suit the furniture.

I'd also change the lamps. It will make a way bigger difference than you think.

S K thanked hollybar
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Maybe you can do something a little different. Give it more of a french country feel, by playing with patterns. So it doesn't feel so formal.

Some inspiration:

Buffehr Creek Residence · More Info

S K thanked njmomma
  • PRO
  • PRO
    S K thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Sydney Stevens
    4 years ago

I like celerygirls mock photos the best. a nice griege would work wonderfully. and also definitely return the curtains to get longer ones and hang them up as high as possible.

S K thanked Sydney Stevens
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Well our Master is quite similar with some Transitional features. Let me dig up some photos. Bbl

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Blue is a pretty option. So is a greige as suggested.

S K thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I can’t find photos right now but I can tomorrow. We have walls a blue/gray with white ceiling. Faux silk drapes in a silver blue color. Bedding taupe and creamy white. White antique chairs. Mirrors behind night stand lamps. Need new lamps. We love it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Sister broke arm and went to hospital. No visitors. Moved night before last to rehab center. No visitors. Sorry I haven’t had time to get photos. Maybe tomorrow. Oh did I mention they didn’t put any of her personal stuff in her transport so missing phone charger so can’t communicate. Probably good we couldn’t today. I am sure she is furious. Can’t say I blame her. Hoping tomorrow is a better day!

S K thanked Flo Mangan
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

I'm funny, but at first look I liked the soft low-contrast look you have right now. Adding what else is needed before a new paint color. I agree to adding dressy feeling with curtains high up to ceiling.

What aspect of glam might fit - would a lamp of crystal ?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Polyester-nylon blend taffeta will offer you a crisp smooth panel that will shimmer and reflect the light in any room. Natural crinkles not considered a flaw or defect. As a general rule, for proper fullness panels should measure 2-3 times the width of your window/opening.

A blend with current walls, is ok?

Ruched Antique Beige FauxSilk Taffeta Curtain Single Panel, 50"x96" · More Info

Ruched Mushroom Faux Silk Taffeta Curtain Single Panel, 50"x120" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/ruched-mushroom-faux-silk-taffeta-curtain-single-panel-50x120-prvw-vr~84063116

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Champagne mosaic Polyresin with crushed mirror accents •lamp bulb holder is E26 - any kind of E26 bulb. E26/Medium (Standard). A-type light bulb. •Wattage of bulbs: 60 Watts W 18.11" / D 10.83" / H 31.1"

Regency Table Lamp · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/regency-table-lamp-prvw-vr~59177082

• everdebz
    4 years ago

If paint isn't changed, could add glam with sprayed curtain rods a champagne with crystal -type finals? This silver leaf seems so in between warm finish and cool, nice ?

Park Harbor PHHL6216 Rosalind 6 Light Chandelier · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/park-harbor-phhl6216-rosalind-6-light-chandelier-prvw-vr~58437890

S K thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Transitional 12 x 20" nice with cool white curtains?

9-Light Chrome Flush Mount Clear Crystal · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/9-light-chrome-flush-mount-clear-crystal-prvw-vr~150777029

S K thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Instead of painting, would lively colors at windows not help? even on portion of the curtain.

Aqua Forest Green Leaf Print Upholstery Fabric · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/aqua-forest-green-leaf-print-upholstery-fabric-prvw-vr~113523331

S K thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago
    S K thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

The right kind idk, but I like the color... I suppose I should ask if you have plans AFTER you paint? I guess i was assuming not, so I went on with what I saw as helpful ideas... hope it's ok.

Lillian Bench Berry, 45.08W X 16.93D X 23.23H, Dark Mahogany · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/linon-lillian-wood-upholstered-bench-in-berry-red-prvw-vr~85454875

S K thanked everdebz
  • S K
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Flo Mangan I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. No worries about the picture - whenever you have a moment. How is she doing? I hope she's better!

• S K
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@everdebz I love glam but unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't like. We will be changing the duvet, but wanted to decide on the wall color first. I like the ideas of color curtains! It'll add some brightness to the bedroom! I agree with changing the lamps. Do you think an industrial
    glam(restoration hardware) be too much of a contrast? I like the curtains you suggested, but they're a little too traditional for my taste.

@everdebz@hollybar@Flo Mangan@Celery. Visualization, Rendering images we found a wall color that we like, subtle touch. The molding will remain white - thoughts on the color? Eventually the carpet will get updated as well.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

A soft pale blue works very well with the dark furniture and the cream carpet that you have. I wouldn't do greige or gray as it will just look too monotone and dull. You could also do a soft green. Benjamin Moore Quiets Moments is a lovely blue/green color that would look great with your dark furniture and rug. Drapes should be hung high as others have said. If your current drapes are 84 inches in length, go up to 96 and move the rods up. Ikea has some inexpensive linen drapes, or you can try Pottern Barn, etc. Change out the bedding to crisp white/cream.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Strongly suggest you find bedding first. It is most limiting factor and hardest to find. Paint comes in endless colors. Drapery last. Best if it is close to paint color especially if bedding has any pattern. Bedding first, wall color, then drapery. Target has some good, reasonably priced bedding these days.

• lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

Flo So sorry to hear about your sister. Hope she is doing well.

Agree you need to find the bedding first. Dealing with the same problem. Can't seem to find bedding we like.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Thanks. Sister continues to have problems sorry to say. I have a bunch of photos on a disk. I can’t make the darn thing work. My assistant will be here on Monday. Keep your pale blue paint idea but try to get main bedding before you paint. You never know when a great bargain might pop up and change everything. 😎

• My House
    4 years ago

The wood is dark. If you paint the wall a dark color, the contrast will be lost. Create a lighter headboard ofmy choose a darker wall color.

The matching bedroom set is overwhelming in its details. Alter the look of the headboard with a DIY project.

First, change the shape of the headboard by wrapping it in 1 inch foam (front and back). You could use packing tape to hold the foam together and spare the headboard from damage, or use spray adhesive to the wood itself. The folded foam will give you a rectangular shape. Next, wrap the foam with cotton batting to prevent any color show-through. Sew a big pillowcase-like cover for your head board. You could choose fabric in a store, or perhaps use a pair of faux-silk drapes at HomeGoods. You don't need a sewing machine to do this, just a needle and thread, (tape measure, chalk or light pencil line on the "wrong side of the fabric" , and pins to hold the two sides together.

In this link, the person made a new headboard, but the idea is the same. https://angelarosehome.com/diy-upholstered-wingback-headboard-for-80/

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

I would go totally monochromatic..with traditional drapery hung with Rings..add more casual cream linen drapery to add another texture to the space. With the gorgeous dark wood furniture keep the walls a lighter soft creamy color...add black metal accents to keep the room looking more transitional and not too fussy....

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

S K. Any progress? Hope you r ok?’