Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_899129644

Master Bath Vanity Size

HU-899129644
4 years ago

I need a vanity for my master bathroom that will fit in a 125” space. Is that always going to be a custom vanity in order to fit wall to wall or do they sell standard vanities around that size? Or would you combine two 60” vanities and put fillers on the sides? TIA!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Generally standard vanity cabinets are made in widths in three inch increments. There are vanity bases with a door and a drawer, vanity sink bases with doors, and vanity drawer bases with drawers. They can be combined to create a run of vanity cabinets to any length.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    4 years ago

JAN MOYER is right. Stay away from standard sizes with fillers, they are a dead giveaway that the vanity is manufactured, not custom. Have it made by s local cabinetmaker who can measure the space (which is almost never perfectly square or plumb) and built a cabinet that fits without fillers.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No cabinet in a niche without some fillers. You will have issues in multiple places. The MOST SKILLED cabinetmaker uses fill. They just do it a lot better. : )

Don't even ask for that without a teeny bit of fill.

• User
    4 years ago

You need to be talking with a cabinet shop about cabinets for the whole house. You aren’t internetting any of that without going for the cheapest and worst quality kludged together. And looking it.

• PRO
    4 years ago

@ JAN MOYER

I disagree.

The use of a filler is proof that the cabinetmaker is not that skilled.

My company has been making cabinets for more years that i care to admit, and we have never used a filler.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

The purpose of a filler is to scribe a cabinet to a wall that may not be square and plumb. Some cabinets are constructed so the frame extends past the side so it may be scribed to a wall, other cabinet construction has a separate piece that fills the space between cabinet frame and the wall or the cabinet door and the wall. The presence of a filler does not determine the skill level of the cabinet maker. Most cabinet manufacturers have standard sizes available for economic purposes and some of those manufacturers will make custom size cabinets, to be used with standard size cabinets, to minimize the use of a filler.

• suero
    4 years ago

You can go semi-custom: you pay for the cabinet size to the 3 inch and request the exact size you need. So, for your 125" length, you would pay for 126" worth of cabinets and pay an additional cutting fee. However, if the cabinets are surrounded by walls on the two ends, you just might need filler strips to prevent door knobs from banging into the wall when the cabinet doors are opened. Then again, you might just have drawers and not have to deal with door issues.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

We had a 65" opening, ordered a 60" vanity with flat sides (no molding sticking out on the sides) and used 2.5" fillers on either side to make it look built in. Looks great, we didn't have the time to wait for custom. The filler pieces, molding and walls aren't painted yet but here's a pic to give you an idea.

• PRO
    4 years ago

@ Mark Bischak, Architect

When I was a young man, still studying cabinetry, anyone who used a filler was not around very long. Either he/she could not measure or could not build to spec.

I know things have changed since I got my masters certificate in 1974, but I am not ready to believe that a master cabinetmaker uses fillers. Don't know any that do. Don't want to know any that do. They are a shortcut that is and looks amateurish.

Now a scribe is a different animal. Scribes as you pointed out may be necessary if the walls are very much out of plumb or have some other defect. But, this problem can usually be handled with an extended stile, which is the much better way of doing it.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The last pick looks like a free standing “chest”...would that be so bad without the filler?...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Someone will say hard to clean ..but the recessed filler looks a little odd to me

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

IMO it depends a lot on budget so maybe share that with us. In my experience no cabinet maker is going to build a 125” single piece and then try to get it into space .There are pieces joined together on site. I have many times joined 2 stock vanities together with a custom counter to save money and they look great. I have had custom done that was not great.

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

@btydrvn didn’t want the space
    It looked like black holes on either side. We like it recessed so the details of the cabinet are prominent. Personal preference. Fillers aren’t painted yet it’ll all blend.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH